Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'll start with the first of the line:
Bimota HB1:

So the story goes, Massimo Tamburini rode and raced a Honda CB750 back in his youth. He crashed at Misano and decided that he could build a better handling chassis than a production Honda. So he built the frame for the HB1 while still recuperating from his crash. The result was a lighter bike with a lower center of gravity. Two things which would become the hallmark of all future Bimotas.

Bimota itself is a "portmanteau" of the initials of the three founders, Valerio Bianchi, Giuseppe Morri and Tamburini. Of them, Tamburini would go on to great acclaim as the designer of the Ducati 916 and then the MV Agusta F4. He would leave Bimota in 1983. Giuseppe Morri would follow in 1993. Bimota is pronounced as each set of initials of the founders is said. So Bi, from Bianchi is pronounced as "Bee". mo for Morri isn't too hard to figure out and ta for Tamburini is also not hard to figure out. (Bee-moh-tah)

After leaving Bimota, Tamburini was hired by Claudio Castiglione in 1985 as he acquired Ducati. Tamburini would work with Massimo Bordi to design first the Ducati Paso, then the 851, 888, and 916 as well as the naked Monster for Ducati. Ducati was on the verge of bankruptcy when Cagiva took over and the pairing of the two Massimos turned Ducati around from bankruptcy to a profitable company in a matter of just a few years. After a decade, Ducati was financially stable enough to be floated on the stock market. Bimota on the other hand, was facing bankruptcy itself. The V-due was a 500cc two stroke of Bimota's own construction built to take on the best of the Japanese in 500GP. The project was an abysmal failure both in Grands Prix racing and as a commercial venture. The bike never lived up to expectations. Forced to recall the entire production run of the V-due was a financial disaster. Then just prior to the 2000 WSBK season, the factory team's main sponsor pulled out while still owing Bimota a significant amount of money. The two events were too much and Bimota closed their doors for several years.

In 2003 a group of investors bought the company and resurrected the name. The Tesi 2D and 3D were among the models unveiled to the public. Using a Ducati engine was natural yet the companies greatest successes came from using Japanese engines. All of their WSBK wins came from using Yamaha, then Suzuki engined bikes. Their last win came at Philip Island with Anthony Gobert riding the SB-8R. Grands Prix racing yielded several titles, two with Harley Davidson powered bikes and two with Yamaha powered bikes.

Bimota was originally an air conditioning and heating company founded in 1966. The company operated in that capacity until 1972. The accident which started Bimota's entry into motorcycle production forced Tamburini to miss work while he recovered and Valerio Bianchi decided he'd had enough and left the company. Morri and Tamburini decided to relaunch the company as Bimota Meccanica the same year. Initially Bimota made racing frames as kits for Japanese engines. It wasn't until the late 1970s that they began making and marketing road legal motorcycles. When they did, their formula for making lighter weight and better handling chassis was a huge hit. The company began to be profitable but spent as much or more than the commercial side made on their racing. What they did was, establish a philosophy that was later copied by the Japanese. In particular, one Tadao Baba who introduced Honda's legendary CBR900RR or "Fireblade" in 1993. Once that occurred there was no longer a real need to spend great sums of money to have a Bimota to get that light is right philosophy. Over the long term likely contributed to the demise of the original company.

The first Yamaha powered Bimota, the YB1:

The YB1 was powered by a TZ250 two stroke race engine.

The first Suzuki powered Bimota, the SB1:

The SB1 was powered by a two stroke Suzuki TR500 engine. It was built for Grands Prix racing rather than for street use and is representative of early Bimotas. They were race bikes first.

The first Kawasaki powered Bimota, The KB1. Powered by a Z1 900 engine:

The first (there were 3) Harley Davidson powered Bimota, the HDB1:

The HDB1 was powered by 488cc Harley Davidson/Aermacchi engine. There was only one, just one produced of this model frame.

The first Ducati powered Bimota, the DB1:

Since we covered the BB1 in David's snapshot photography thread, I won't rehash it here. I'll return later and fill in details on the bikes pictured to give a brief history on them and what engine was used to give some kind of an idea of performance.......sean

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Oh my......this is fantastic.

Thanks for the pics and write up apriliarider. I just can't get enough of Bimota's. Your knowledge and insight on these amazing machines is unparalleled.

Somebody, sticky this thread......please.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Notice the DB1 which is powered by a 750 Ducati Paso engine looks really similar to the Paso?

I find this somewhat interesting given that Massimo Tamburini left Bimota in 1982, and the DB1 was produced between 1985 and 1987. The Paso started production in 1986. It is actually not coincidence in the least. Cagiva commissioned the DB1 from Bimota in 1985. Later that same year is when Cagiva bought Ducati.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
How bout the forkless concept?

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Apriliarider said:
Notice the DB1 which is powered by a 750 Ducati Paso engine looks really similar to the Paso?
No I hadn't till now.

I am loving the education though.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
mangosmoothie said:
How bout the forkless concept?
I actually did write about that already. In the thread that inspired this one. That is the Tesi 3D. Both the Tesi 2D and 3D came after the company was restarted from bankruptcy. Like the BB2 and BB3, they represent the modern company rather than the historic one. I'll get to them but they belong at the end of the thread rather than the beginning.....The Tesi 1D though, it belongs here nearer the beginning than the end...but actually more like the middle. Because it is the first of it's particular breed though I'll put it here.

Bimota Tesi 1D:

The Tesi was so named because it means thesis in Italian.

Bimota’s remarkable alternative motorcycle started out as a combined effort between the company’s then-chief designer Federico Martini, and two Bologna University postgraduate students, Roberto Ugolini and Pierluigi Marconi.

They spent six months during 1981-82 working in the Rimini factory as part of a work/study program.

The hub-centre Tesi design they created there, represented the design thesis for their mechanical engineering doctorate course. Their university’s computer was employed in the preliminary design work, on what was the world’s first motorcycle with hydraulically-operated centre hub steering.

There were teething problems with the original engine chosen for the project, a Honda 400cc engine. When that engine dropped a valve, there was an initial attempt to carry on using a VFR engine but it was too bulky.

A Suzuki RG500 Grands Prix engine was fit next but with undesired results. Jettisoning the Tesi 3’s boat-derived hydraulic steering in favor of a mechanical system, Marconi had an all-new Tesi prototype running in just two months. This time fit with a Yamaha FZ750 engine, but employing the same essential architecture as the original Tesi.

The following year the Ducati-engined Tesi 1D debuted to a season of racing in the Italian Superbike series prototype class. It was launched as a series production streetbike at the October 1990 Cologne Show.

The front end, was radical when it was released. From a motorcycle perspective, it was really a carry over from the early 1980s when there was push among manufacturers to address fork dive.

For some reason, it was considered an undesired function of telescopic forks. Once the anti-dive devices went away, Yamaha partnered with RADD and Dr. James Parker to build the GTS1000 with its alternative front end.

The Tesi 1D was racing at around the same time, and one could be purchased for street use at a staggering $40K. Remember, this was in the early 1990s.

Once telescopic forks were advanced to the level we enjoy today, there was little need, or interest in alternative front ends for production motorcycles.

Credit to Sir Alan Cathcart for much of the background information. He was to race a Tesi 1D in its inaugural race in 1991 at Daytona but crashed out breaking his wrist in practice.

NOTE: I intentionally did not include BMWs Tele-lever front end in discussions about alternative front ends. Mostly due the fact that it still incorporates telescopic sliders, though the springing and damping is done with a shock mounted in an automotive style uper/lower control arm affair.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did a little more research and found that the HDB2 is a post resurrection model rather than an early race bike. Expecting to find a rebadged Aermacchi engine, I instead found a V-Rod powered Bimota.

Also, rather than an expected bike, I found this to only be a concept. Apparently it was never built. Not surprising really....no doubt the Motor Company would hesitate to sell a block of production engines to Bimota. Then I found that there was a previous HDB2 and an HDB3 even back in 1976 and 77. The HDB2 was a 250cc version of the HDB1 and the HDB3 was a 350cc version. Both were Aermacchi powered but rebadged as Harley Davidson. So.....the resurrected Bimota can't really call the concept an HDB2 but rather it would appropriately be called an HDB4 instead. The HDB2 and HDB3 below:

According to the Portuguese page on which I found these, there were some 35 of these 250cc bikes produced.

On the same page (Bimota Portugal) the information is that there were just 2 of the 350cc version produced.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bimota SB2:

The SB2 was produced in 1977 and there were 140 built. It was powered by a GS750 engine. It was air and oil cooled in typical for the day Suzuki fashion. With two valves per cylinder it made 75 HP and 42 lb/ft of torque.

Yamaha powered YB2:

The YB2 was powered by a 350cc two stroke TZ engine or a TZ250 like the YB1. There were just 15 of them made. I found no data on how many of each displacement were built.

Bimota KB2:

Powered by a GPz 550 engine, it made 65 hp at 10,500 rpm. It weighed just 410 lbs back when a GPz 550 weighed 460 lbs with a half tank of gas. Light makes right....that was the message. 177 KB2s were built.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bimota HB2: