Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Been a while since I updated this thread so, here is the Bimota Tesi 3D which is simply a revision of the 2D:

It uses the 1100 DS Ducati engine, fuel injected and making 98 HP.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Bimota once again got back to its roots as a race bike manufacturer. In WSBK there was first the BB2 which, like the BB3 previously posted in David's thread is powered by a BMW S1000RR engine.

Since we already covered the BB3, I won't go into any detail, but for reference, here is a picture:

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
There have been some interesting developments regarding Bimota in World Superbikes (WSBK). Rules changed a few years ago to force competing manufacturers to built more than the original 200 examples. The reason was to prevent the big 4 from building "homologation specials" like the original RC30 or the Aprilia RSV4 with gear driven cams. Problem is, Bimota was and currently still is, a small batch manufacturer. So, last year, after Bimota was forced to with draw for not building the now mandated 1000 examples, the rule was changed for this year to allow for small batch manufacturers like Bimota back in. Currently Leon Camier is riding for Bimota in WSBK. The BB3 is still the Bimota entry but there is a slight twist for 2015 with the BB3S. Not really anything different....it isn't like you or I could walk into a shop and buy one. The 2013 bikes were sold on Ebay for something $70,000 USD. Still, not something you can walk in and buy though.

Some other interesting Bimota projects have surfaced as well. With the MotoGP circus moving from two strokes to four strokes completely a few years ago, Bimota as a chassis manufacturer built a new chassis for Moto2 called the HB4. Remember back on page one I wrote about how once that magic number of 4 was reached, Bimota seemed to stick with just two suppliers for the their engines. Moto2 mandates the use of Honda CBR600RR engines so Bimota built the HB4:

There have been rumors of Bimota producing a road going bike based on the HB4. If so, it would be the first time in more than 25 years that Bimota run a Honda engine. The rumors started as a track day bike going for some £147,000 appeared in both the German and British motorcycle press. Apparently those rumors have since morphed into a road going HB4 if Bimota can get Honda to sell them engines. Most of the references for this go back several years to 2010-2012 time frames.....sean

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Under the historic Bimota company, the last Ducati powered bike they built was the DB4. Since the resurrection, there have been 4 new Ducati powered bikes ASIDE from the Tesi bikes. First the DB5. Just looking at it, one can see the similarities between it and the Tesi 3D:

Given the name "Desiderio" some what in keeping with names like Dieci the DB5 uses the same Ducati 1100DS engine that the 3D uses. 2013 was the first model year for the DB5. AFAIK they're still being built....to order. IOW, they're not just building them and seeing if the public will buy them.

Also, along with the DB5 came the DB6. The DB6 is more like Bimota's answer to the Ducati Monster.

Called the "Delirio" the DB6 does something Bimota hasn't traditionally done much of, and that is create a bike powered by the same engine as the bike it is intended to compete directly with. Sort of like the situation with the Ducati Paso and the DB2. Something tells me though, that unlike that situation, Ducati is likely less pleased with this one.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Next in line is the DB7. Bimota does something just a little different with the DB7 and that is, it is offered in more than one configuration.

The DB7 is powered by the same Testastretta engine that powers the 1098 superbike. Called the "Oronero" or in literal translation, Black Gold.

Then there is the DB7R which Bimota calls the "Diavolo Rosso" which means Red Devil in Italian. It is powered by the same 1098 engine but is swaddled in a carbon fiber frame:

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Last one for tonight, the Bimota DB8 "Veleno"

To me, it looks like direct competition for the Ducati Hypermotard. However, from what little I've been able to find out about this thing, it is just a concept done up by Oberdan Bezzi. While this does not mean it doesn't exist, it does mean there is no technical data about it that can be verified......sean.....BTW, Veleno in Italian means poison. Take that for what it's worth....

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Sean.... I really appreciate your all contributions to this thread. I can't get enough.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
http://bimota.it/

From the company website itself, there are six current models for sale to the public; the BB3, Tesi 3D, DBX, DB8, DB8 Oronero and the DB9. No evidence of a Honda powered road going version of the HB4 Moto2 bike. Shame that...but likely getting engines supplied directly from Honda keeps that from happening......sean

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Re: THE Bimota thread "Update"

It's been some time since I updated this thread. I don't know if any of the initial links I used for images are still valid....I did not go back to see if they were. What I did notice is that through jumping back and forth from the company website to the stories on the web, I somehow missed a few models that were available in the 2013-2014 time frame that are no longer listed on the 2015 version of the company site. Previously, I covered models up to a computer generated design called the DB8 Veleno. That bike did not exist except for as a CAD based design generated image that I posted previously. What I missed was, there actually is a DB8. It has no other designation but DB8. It was built beginning in 2010, and uses the 1198 Testastretta engine. It is also now built in a biposto model to accomodate a passenger.

The DB8 went for $33K in 2010 dollars. It made the same 170 HP @ 9.7K RPM as the Ducati 1198 did, and 97 lb/ft of torque at 8K RPM.
The DB8 biposto was built beginning in 2013 and went for a MUCH more reasonable $27.6K. ;D As can be seen in the image below, there is no difference between the two other than the inclusion of a passenger seat and pegs. Bodywork remains the same as do the engine specs.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Following the DB8, Bimota built the DB9 in 2013 as well. It is called the Brivido and comes in two flavors, the Brivido and Brivido S. It uses a detuned 1198 engine (down from 170 HP to 162) in a "roadster" version of the DB8. It went for $31.9K (today's exchange rate) back in 2013. The only listed difference between the Brivido and the "S" version is the inclusion of a new experimental braking system that Bimota has developed in house.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Following the DB9 logically is the DB10.

It looks strikingly like the DB8 Veleno computer generated design by Oberdan Bezzi. Bimota calls it the Bimotard. While powered by a Ducati engine...it seems like a little swipe at the Hypermotard. It went for $22K back then (in today's exchange rate from Euro to Dollars). It was powered by the same air cooled Ducati engine in the Monster 1100 and made the same 98 HP.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Bimota also introduced the DB11 in 2014. They introduced more new models in 2013 than they did in most years, even at the height of the original companies efforts. Consider that for 2008, the only new model Bimota introduced was the DB9. For 2013, Three new models were released as well as a host of updates to existing models. For 2013, Bimota added the DB9, DB10 and the DBX. They updated the DB8 with a biposto model. The DB5 Desiderio was updated to the DB5E and a "performance" version was added in the DB5RE. The DB6 and DB7 returned unchanged but the Tesi 3D was updated to the Tesi 3DE. Considering Bimota is a tiny, boutique manufacturer that's a staggering number of new models and updates for a single production year. Historically the company rolls out a single new model or two each year. Sometimes not even that many. Between 2008 and 2013 just a single new model came out in 2010. Three new ones in a single year is pretty epic by comparison.

The DBX 1000 is a dirt bike. Well...not exactly a true dirt bike. It isn't a CR450F for instance. It is really just a more dirt oriented version of the DB10. Kinda like a Triumph Tiger with more off road pretensions it can actually deliver. Or like an R1200 Dakar. Without the luggage.

To my knowledge it is Bimota's first foray into "adventure" bikes. Or anything involving the word dirt really. Historically their pedigree was road racing. Chassis building primarily. They dabbled in roadsters and sport touring bikes but not seriously. In keeping with that, we have the DB11. Introduced in 2014, it is really an evolution of the DB7 and DB8 that preceded it. It still uses the same 1198cc L-Twin the others use, but with a newly devised Bimota fuel injection system. While it makes less horsepower than the previous bikes (162 versus 170) it still makes the same amount of torque (97)

Apparently, there is also a version of the DB11 called the VLX which features a supercharged version of the same engine. It makes 188 HP and 105 lb/ft of torque. Yes, you read that right. 105 LB/FT!!! Oh, did I mention this thing has a curb weight of less than 400 lbs? That's less than 400 lbs full of vital fluids. No word anywhere that I could find on the price. I guess, in the truest sense of the phrase, if you gotta ask, you can't afford it. Thread Updated. More later when I find information on the 2016 line up.........sean

Surprise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRxlqUkcrE0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D30wJxx_weM

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Kinda cheesy music to go along with the video but basically, a cool video presentation this thread. The video maker is Japanese so some of the models or images may or may not be specific to the Japanese Domestic Market and not seen or available otherwise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_uuUqxDO30

Twist the Throttle Bimota history part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41pa0i6qsRg
Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3-DSMDVZJk
Part 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6avSsjnJJ4
Part 4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wUqY7W60aQ
Just a few irritations with this series. First, having to listen to the constant references to twisting the throttle. That and the constant repeat of information. Other than that...I wish I had the money to do what these two did.

Also, if anyone has a spare $8K there is a Bimota SB6 for sale right now on Cycle Trader. It is located in Monrovia, California. I don't have a spare $8K sitting around so at first I didn't even bother to see where it was in relation to where I am. It's just outside of LA though.
http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/1995-Bimota-Sb-115895494
.....sean

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
I can't get enough of this thread. Thanks again, Apriliarider

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
No prob, man...my pleasure.....sean

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
It's baaaack!!

Was cruising around the web last night looking for something to read and found the following page at motorcycle dot com:

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/bimota/1987-bimota-yb5-racer-tested-on-track.html

Written by: Jeff Ware
June 21, 2016
Photos by: Keith Muir

The Bimota YB5 was tagged as the fastest, maddest, most expensive hyperbike on the planet when it was rolled out in 1987.

With 130-horsepower from the amazing FJ1200 engine, the YB5 was what the Hayabusa is now, only with the flair and exclusivity that comes with a bike that is hand built and one from a run of only 208 units.

The original YB5 was very trick for the era, with a chro-moly steel cradle frame running machined billet alloy sideplates. It ran a high-end Marzocchi 42mm fork, Brembo brakes and retailed for a then-stratospheric $11,000 USD.

It was one of the most amazing, expensive, out of this world and radical motorcycles on the planet.
It was fast – real fast – and it handled almost like a 250 despite housing a massive lump of an engine from a Yamaha FJ1200. By 1988, the production run was over and lucky collectors had a true piece of history.

Almost 30 years later, the YB5 legend remains, but it’s almost impossible to find one today. It took T-Rex Racing’s Rex Wolfenden an eternity to find himself an immaculate low-mileage example.

He got hold of one and landed it on the bench in his immaculate Melbourne, Australia, workshop that is famous Down Under for building championship-winning motorcycles, particularly specializing in Honda 750 Fours of the classic Forgotten Era class.

The Barry Sheene Festival Of Speed features many of Rex’s bikes, which usually win a few classes including the Barry Sheene this year with rider Chas Hern taking the weekend on this very bike.

Rex stripped it immediately and began the process of turning into what we think is the only YB5 racebike in the entire world. If there is another, we can’t find it!

He first removed the standard FJ1200 engine and built it to his specification. He bored it an extra 1mm and fitted JE forged pistons to Carrillo conrods, which swing off a lightened and balanced crankshaft on oversized main bearings.

The cylinder head was reshaped and ported by Rex, who also installed oversized valves actuated by camshafts of his own specification. The original five-speed gearbox was undercut, and a slipper clutch was fitted to the bike post my test (you can see the hop into turns in our onboard video above).

Feeding the FJ engine are four Keihin 37mm CR carburetors. Mixture is fired by a Dyna 2000 ignition system and gasses exit via a stunning Over Racing Titanium four-into-one exhaust system and T-Rex alloy muffler. As you can hear in the video, the sound is out of this world…at both ends!

With a comfortable 150-horsepower at the rear wheel, the chassis now needed setting up. Rex braced the spindly chro-mo swingarm heavily, but aside from that, the amazing YB5 frame is standard. The Marzocchi fork was replaced by a 43mm Kayaba unit with T-Rex valving and springs.

At the back end, a custom Ohlins shock was fitted via T-Rex linkages. Wheels at both ends are cast alloy ZX-12 items, while the old Brembo brakes were exchanged for more modern four-piston Brembo calipers. These squeeze SBS race-compound brake pads onto semi-floating stainless-steel NG rotors via Venhill brake lines. Tires are Pirelli slicks.

With the rolling chassis complete and the engine slotted back in, Rex got to work on the controls, brackets and fairings.

The original fairing was cut up (ouch!) and molds were taken off it to make a set of race fairings. These are wafer thin and ultra lightweight. The single-seat unit is a work of art, and the way Rex has retained the profile of the original fuel cell cover is a nice touch.

The steel fuel tank was replaced by an aluminum item made by Rex’s brother (and ex-Honda Factory Superbike team manager) Clyde Wolfenden, at C&C Motorcycle Engineering. Clyde also knocked up the rearsets, ’bars and other billet bits and pieces. I think you’d have to agree, it is an absolute stunner of a bike.

The bike debuted at the 2016 Phillip Island World Superbike round in February, where Rex slotted it up in the back of his garage and quietly entered it in the support races. His hope of anonymity was short lived, as soon the bike was the talk of the paddock and there were swarms of people looking at it.

A few months later after some more development, the bike was raced in anger at the 2016 Barry Sheene Festival Of Speed. Originally penciled in as a back-up bike for rider Chas Hern, who planned on running Rex’s Harris Honda, Chas soon found he was faster on the Bimota. So he chose that and won the weekend convincingly.

No mean feat. The lap times were only seven seconds off domestic factory superbike record times.
Thats it for my contribution. You'll have to click the link at the top to see the video and all the pics. I chose but two, there are about a dozen or more. Zombie thread awakened!! LoL........sean

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Bimota spread in Classic Bike

If you are like me, you kinda look forward to when new issues of British bike magazines to hit the news stands.

I got tired of waiting. My wife got me an online subscription so I now get ALL or, rather almost all the British magazines online and usually early.

Of the major ones, I think the only one I have to rush to the news stands for is Classic Motorcycle Mechanic.

That's another story though, as the January issue of Classic Bike ( https://www.classicbike.co.uk/ )has a cool spread of early Bimotas to savor in the midst of winter. If you get the chance, check out the magazine at your local news stand....if you don't have one, Barnes and Noble carries it..........sean

·
Registered
503 Posts
Just found this thread - thanks Sean!

I've been a Bimota fan for quite a while. Can't say I've ridden one, but have have seen a Tesi 1D in-person at a local gathering when I lived in IL. Stunning. The red/white DB7 has always been a favorite.

I have to say, for all of the craftsmanship and details - they aren't that expensive - and might be a downright deal.

I see tons of $30,000+ Harleys around here all the time, and constantly am thinking what that would get you with a Bimota. It's just a shame they are not appreciated.

Am I mistaken (hope so), or has Bimota closed it's doors recently? I thought I heard something about the plant closing and all of the bikes and parts being shipped out of the country.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts