181 - 200 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
As white plastic would indicate new, these the same tan as received, but plastic and working area (tang) cleaned.

·
Super Moderator
15,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 · (Edited)
Going out on a limb here in proclaiming a Gold Wing refurb to be the Mt Everest of carb work. Complex linkages, lotta parts, parts, parts just to get the carbs separated from the airbox. Some seals and orings are NLA from Honda, I'll attempt matching from my close-by Komatsu Heavy equipment dealer (they stock extensive sizes of metric orings).

Interesting..... yet again the fuel and vent rail orings used by Keihin the exact SAME as on your EX!

Unfortunately the aftermarket rebuild kit supplied float valve seats are not correct (in that they are not sized to accept the individual slip-on mounted OEM fuel screens) With owners permission...I'll opt to restore and reuse the originals using new float valves, of course.

Lunch hour over....back to work on these! Pics to follow later.

g18.jpg

Reactions: ghostt

·
Registered
2008 EX500, ZRX's, Vstrom, GPz's
27 Posts
Another successful surgery by "The Doctor".......see Post #159.........500R carbs. Finally was able to test them out today after attending to "other" issues (oil pressure light staying on)....the verdict: a Full Recovery!! Starts right up.......push the choke lever and the RPM's jump up like they should, let warm up, push chokes off........purrrr.....purrrrr.......purrrr. Runs GREAT!! Thanks Gordon..........will have a set of 250 EX's coming to you shortly (after Jan 1.)
mark (Moto-Kafe)

·
Super Moderator
15,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
great to hear!

austin.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
Gold Wing 1 of 4 looking good.

g26.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
Any older members recall member @ghostt? He is the owner of the Wing carbs. As he's still both a member here and an EX500 owner, perhaps we can convince him to jump on in here!

·
Super Moderator
6,554 Posts
I do, and already knew those were his carbs as soon as he hit that "like" button. I think we would all like to hear about his Gold Wing adventures.

·
Super Moderator
15,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
With a "reintroduction" from @ghostt, his Wing easily worthy of a thread here on EX. Interesting, huge touring machine! And engine is currently out! A major undertaking!

C'mon , man!

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
Good morning all, the rumors of my death is premature.

If you all want I will write a thread about my 1984 Honda Goldwing Aspencade.

The reason why engine is out, was due to the stator died, which is easy step one remove engine. Since I had to pull the 1200cc flat 4 engine, now is the time to do a lot of things.

The carbs have never been off the bike since they were installed in 1984, and there's only person I trust with my carbs, @ducatiman

Below is the photo album link
1984 Honda Goldwing Aspencade aka Siren

Reactions: yorkie and bpe

·
Registered
563 Posts
With a "reintroduction" from @ghostt, his Wing easily worthy of a thread here on EX. Interesting, huge touring machine! And engine is currently out! A major undertaking!

C'mon , man!
That puppy's a positive lightweight....tips the scales circa 750lbs? My GL1800 is coming in at a healthy 900 lbs. That weight disappears on the road, and the handling defies the size and weight (kinda like a bumblebee is not supposed to be able to fly according to physics). But around town, she's a real handful.

@ghostt What sort of rides/adventures do you get up to with the GW? My biggest ride so far was 1,100 miles 2-up in 3 days around Illinois, Wisconsin and Michigan. Plan to take many more like it....

·
Super Moderator
15,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
If you all want I will write a thread about my 1984 Honda Goldwing Aspencade.
Let 'er rip, open 'er up in the OTHER MOTORCYCLE TALK section, comments, pics and all ....I'm sure it'll garner some interest!
And welcome back!

·
Super Moderator
15,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 · (Edited)
wanted to add...I was able to source all the NLA seals/orings from Komatsu this morning....preventing any parts delays, forward we go.
Got another body, tuning components, rails, bowls and slide caps (and more) just about prepped too. More to go prior to reassembly. I'll finish the RH "rack" then start on the left side.

g27.jpg

g29.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 · (Edited)
Another interesting aside....don't know if anyone noticed as yet, but a master and slave carb, kinda, sorta like a set EX500 carbs, per side....linked and synched all together. Hence a complex arrangement......much easier said than done. :oops:

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
Looking awesome, as always @ducatiman

I'll write up something over the next few days while I'm off from work. Til then here is a pic from late 2017 when I got her, with only 32k miles on the click.

Reactions: Devilsfan and bpe

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
Hey @ducatiman remember when I turned you on to the ninjette crowd...... How you feel about Goldwing crowd?????

·
Super Moderator
15,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
provided a limited intake coupled with a major rise in fee.....

austin.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
further progress, will soon wrap these up.

g31.jpg

Reactions: Devilsfan
181 - 200 of 248 Posts