Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

201 - 216 of 216 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Looking awesome, beyond belief.

Can't wait to see the finished product. I just wish my shop had a better heater.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #203 (Edited)
Completed this evening. Quite a contrast. Some items to note:

consulted with @ghostt all the way as to his preferences
*able to reuse all factory hardware, perfect, unmolested
*ALL new consumables (hardened orings were present)
*OEM factory jets restored and reused
*all circuits are confirmed clear
*well protected, hidden pilot screws exposed, removed, serviced and "reset" (note 1 was initially found closed!)
*synched and adjusted
* all linkages confirmed operating smoothly
*set float heights to Honda spec
*wet tested, no leaks internal or external

I project these to be bolt on runners, though idle will need to be set for Scott's preferred RPM (hey, i can't do it all!)

So I proudly present Ghostties 1984 GL1200 Keihin carbset, ready for another 36 year stint!

g42.jpg

Reactions: FlipFlop and ghostt

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Holy smokes, they look amazing, can't wait to see them in person.

They should look awesome on the engine, that I painted very low gloss black, instead of the Honda silver

Along with painting the engine black, I also changed out the OEM fasteners with polished stainless steel allen fasteners, and used Markland chrome valve covers

Reactions: bpe and FlipFlop

·
Super Moderator
15,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Your paint will appear a match made in heaven (of course enabled by Mr Honda and company)

Prior to install, urge you to double check me on all exposed screws for tightness, hoses may need slight angling tweaks to aid fitment....but the basic carbs should be push button ready. Can't wait to hear how they start, idle and accept throttle! Should be good another 36 years or so.

Reactions: ghostt

·
Super Moderator
15,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
since the 'wings, tackled #84 refurb and a 250 Ninja set. A TON of internal work goes into each set I do, stuff you don't necessarily see. I changed one of my chosen cleaning chemical additives....WOW looky at the guts of #84! These 250 came a long way too.

84-4.jpg

np2.jpg

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Your paint will appear a match made in heaven (of course enabled by Mr Honda and company)

Prior to install, urge you to double check me on all exposed screws for tightness, hoses may need slight angling tweaks to aid fitment....but the basic carbs should be push button ready. Can't wait to hear how they start, idle and accept throttle! Should be good another 36 years or so.
My thoughts exactly. The GW is in fact a very dark blue metallic, Honda calls is Siren blue metallic, hence it's name is Siren, which is another word for mermaid.

I had graphics made, one on the front fender, and the other on the trunk.

·
Super Moderator
15,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Another set of 250 ninjy carbs tackled today, These my property, to be sold.

gb2503.jpg

Reactions: Moto-Kafe

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
My wait is finally over, they made it home.

You sir are awesome 😎😎😎, and a true carb guru.

Thank you once again.

·
Super Moderator
15,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Wow, they took quite awhile within the USPS holiday "system". Thank you and I'm looking forward to your starting/running comments!

Reactions: ghostt

·
Super Moderator
15,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
the '58 Holley carb I did 9 months ago is back, through no fault of my own. Owner discovered extensive rust in tank after running quality slowly degraded over the period. He's dealing with rusty tank, I will refresh carb.

Reactions: Devilsfan

·
Super Moderator
15,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Completing the 1958 Holley Model 1904 carb today I actually found a shard of glass stuck within and partially blocking the fuel inlet port, interfering with flow to some degree. Hey, doan looka me, I didn't put it there!
An inner guts check up reveals all else well, ready to go. Imperative for owner to check his tank/pump/lines for debris, there just may be more (very likely).

Todays reference material. Manual States GM truck, but this 1904 was used in Ford pickups as well, this an F100, 223 cu in inline 6.

58-15.jpg

58-11.jpg

·
Registered
2008 EX500, ZRX's, Vstrom, GPz's
17 Posts
Buddy of mine years ago had a very old Triumph TR2 or 3......or TR-sumpin........would not run. They finally found the culprit.........a big-azz Cigar Butt in the gas tank, blocking the fuel line. :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
15,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Wow, that'll getcha alright! I remember when young hearing stories of kids putting rocks, sand etc in tanks. Destructive, a lotta work and expense!
Hence the *locking * fuel cap was born!

·
Super Moderator
6,337 Posts
Putting sugar in tanks was the big vandalism technique for a while.

·
Super Moderator
15,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
Putting sugar in tanks was the big vandalism technique for a while.
gives new meaning to fuel mixture screw...dude its running so sweeeeeet. :D

Reactions: bpe
201 - 216 of 216 Posts