Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
261 - 279 of 279 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 · (Edited)
A set of 4 banger CB900RR Keihin FCR39 in house, just began disassembly this morning, #1 currently in the "drink". Better pics to follow. Lotta parts involved.

fcr1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
a couple of "in process" pics of the FCR's, either new or restored brass tuning components and float setup. I await delivery of seals to "wrap it up".

fcr7.jpg fcr8.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
oh oh, torn diaphragm found upon disassembly of 250 set i'm currently doing.

mar1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
diaphragms replaced, they worked out pretty nice.

mar5.jpg

Reactions: ksurk

·
Super Moderator
15,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
5 hunnerds today..shown as received and as finished.

htrich1.jpg
htrich5.jpg

Reactions: Devilsfan

·
Super Moderator
15,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
seals (not supplied in kits) finally arrived so i completed the FCR39's today.

fcr9.jpg fcr10.jpg fcr11.jpg

Reactions: auburn

·
Super Moderator
15,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
today completed refurb on "82 Honda CM250 (single) carb. Worked out well, perfect in wet testing.

jcal2.jpg jcal3.jpg jcal4.jpg jcal5.jpg

·
Premium Member
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250/17' 300 engine, 07' EX500
3,814 Posts
Just thought I'd let you know, it's all back together, and working well. It runs smoother, pulls harder, also all around better, than before all this all started about a year ago.

Once again you did a fine upstanding job sir.

Thank you

Reactions: auburn and bpe

·
Super Moderator
15,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
@ghostt .... I fully consider your carbs become "mine"....but on a temporarily basis of course. They are, at very least, treated as such. Thank you for the follow up and kind words. THE BIKE LOOKS GREAT! Awesome job you did there within a huge undertaking.

·
Premium Member
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250/17' 300 engine, 07' EX500
3,814 Posts
@ducatiman yeah it was a big job to change out the stator, I went down the rabbit hole for sure, replacing, upgrading, modifications, etc... A lot of things on the bike, and money spent, some would say too much, but not me 😁

It took about a year from start to finish, way too long under normal conditions, but the last year and half, was anything but normal to say the least.

I'm overall pleased with how it all turned out, I've put about 30 miles on it so far.

I've posted all the work on my Instagram account Ghostt_Scott for those whom are interested in checking it out, along with other things.

Reactions: auburn

·
Super Moderator
15,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #271 · (Edited)
a set of 250's here today. Found hoses mis-routed, diaphragms incorrectly installed on to slides, dead floats .... amongst some other errors. All corrected.

water8.jpg

Reactions: ksurk and ghostt

·
Super Moderator
15,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 ·
back to a set of 500's today.

marbr1.jpg

marbr2.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
And another set o' 500's done today. As close to perfect as I can get them.

sholl4.jpg sholl5.jpg sholl6.jpg sholl8.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 · (Edited)
on the bench today a Keihin carbset from a '91 Honda CBR250RR MC22 (a 4 cylinder 17k RPM screamer) brought over from Australia. Agreed to do a "functional" clean. No splitting, however....returning all original brass/tuning components to as-new factory like condition, cleaning all surfaces and circuits finishing with careful reassembly. No before pics, but they were really nasty. Customer purchased and installed kits previously, we opted to return to, refurb and reuse the original Keihin jetting, which he thankfully retained and provided me. The kit jetting differed greatly. Some in process pics.

klima1.jpg

klima3.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
Reactions: ksurk

·
Super Moderator
15,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #277 ·
and finished this evening

klima7.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #279 ·
direct, verbatim feedback from the 250RR owner........

Gordon- Thanks for the excellent work on the carbs! Your reputation is much deserved.

I bolted the carbs on today and although it took a few tries to get the engine to fire, I think most of that was just getting the fuel bowls full of gas. Once the bike started, I just had a couple adjustments to make with the idle setting and I was in business.

I don't have a title for this bike yet (grey market import, I'll have to make an inspection appointment with the CA Highway Patrol) but that didn't stop me from riding around my subdivision. Compared to the ride I took before sending you the carbs, the bike now rides smooth and idles properly. Very fun and much more responsive than before!

I hope to get to a track in the next month and I'll have video from that when I'm done. I'll send you a youtube link so you can see the bike in action.

Thanks again, I'm looking forward to riding! -Jim

261 - 279 of 279 Posts