Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
261 - 280 of 302 Posts

·
Administrator
15,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 · (Edited)
A set of 4 banger CB900RR Keihin FCR39 in house, just began disassembly this morning, #1 currently in the "drink". Better pics to follow. Lotta parts involved.

Wood Gas Table Engineering Machine

·
Administrator
15,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
a couple of "in process" pics of the FCR's, either new or restored brass tuning components and float setup. I await delivery of seals to "wrap it up".

Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Machine Metal
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Membranophone Automotive exhaust Automotive tire

·
Administrator
15,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
oh oh, torn diaphragm found upon disassembly of 250 set i'm currently doing.

Automotive tire Cookware and bakeware Audio equipment Camera accessory Gramophone record

·
Administrator
15,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
seals (not supplied in kits) finally arrived so i completed the FCR39's today.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design
Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Engineering Gas
Audio equipment Gas Electric blue Electronic component Machine

Reactions: auburn

·
Administrator
15,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
today completed refurb on "82 Honda CM250 (single) carb. Worked out well, perfect in wet testing.

Toy Motor vehicle Gas Font Auto part
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Font Machine
Motor vehicle Font Gas Automotive tire Machine
Motor vehicle Gas Personal protective equipment Automotive lighting Nut

·
Premium Member
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250/17' 300 engine, 07' EX500
3,845 Posts
Just thought I'd let you know, it's all back together, and working well. It runs smoother, pulls harder, also all around better, than before all this all started about a year ago.

Once again you did a fine upstanding job sir.

Thank you

Reactions: auburn and bpe

·
Administrator
15,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
@ghostt .... I fully consider your carbs become "mine"....but on a temporarily basis of course. They are, at very least, treated as such. Thank you for the follow up and kind words. THE BIKE LOOKS GREAT! Awesome job you did there within a huge undertaking.

·
Premium Member
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250/17' 300 engine, 07' EX500
3,845 Posts
@ducatiman yeah it was a big job to change out the stator, I went down the rabbit hole for sure, replacing, upgrading, modifications, etc... A lot of things on the bike, and money spent, some would say too much, but not me 😁

It took about a year from start to finish, way too long under normal conditions, but the last year and half, was anything but normal to say the least.

I'm overall pleased with how it all turned out, I've put about 30 miles on it so far.

I've posted all the work on my Instagram account Ghostt_Scott for those whom are interested in checking it out, along with other things.

Reactions: auburn

·
Administrator
15,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #271 · (Edited)
a set of 250's here today. Found hoses mis-routed, diaphragms incorrectly installed on to slides, dead floats .... amongst some other errors. All corrected.

Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Motor vehicle Motorcycle Rim

Reactions: ksurk and ghostt

·
Administrator
15,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
And another set o' 500's done today. As close to perfect as I can get them.

Gas Auto part Metal Font Fashion accessory
Sewing machine Gas Nickel Bicycle part Machine
Product Motor vehicle Gas Machine Auto part
Rim Engineering Gas Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Administrator
15,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 · (Edited)
on the bench today a Keihin carbset from a '91 Honda CBR250RR MC22 (a 4 cylinder 17k RPM screamer) brought over from Australia. Agreed to do a "functional" clean. No splitting, however....returning all original brass/tuning components to as-new factory like condition, cleaning all surfaces and circuits finishing with careful reassembly. No before pics, but they were really nasty. Customer purchased and installed kits previously, we opted to return to, refurb and reuse the original Keihin jetting, which he thankfully retained and provided me. The kit jetting differed greatly. Some in process pics.

Brown Amber Wood Insect Rectangle

Automotive tire Rim Gas Auto part Motor vehicle

·
Administrator
15,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
Reactions: ksurk

·
Administrator
15,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #279 ·
direct, verbatim feedback from the 250RR owner........

Gordon- Thanks for the excellent work on the carbs! Your reputation is much deserved.

I bolted the carbs on today and although it took a few tries to get the engine to fire, I think most of that was just getting the fuel bowls full of gas. Once the bike started, I just had a couple adjustments to make with the idle setting and I was in business.

I don't have a title for this bike yet (grey market import, I'll have to make an inspection appointment with the CA Highway Patrol) but that didn't stop me from riding around my subdivision. Compared to the ride I took before sending you the carbs, the bike now rides smooth and idles properly. Very fun and much more responsive than before!

I hope to get to a track in the next month and I'll have video from that when I'm done. I'll send you a youtube link so you can see the bike in action.

Thanks again, I'm looking forward to riding! -Jim

Reactions: ksurk

·
Administrator
15,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
my (rainy) day included equipment maintenance along with finishing these 250's which came out perfect.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motorcycle Automotive exhaust

261 - 280 of 302 Posts