Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Honda V4 ST1100 adventures continue, carbs pulled today. Very tricky, tight work. Rubber manifolds solid like rock, I insist on new for ease of installation. I'll be doggoned...Keihin 34.5mm 4 bangers. All 4 pilot orings flattened (same spec as EX!) synch visibly way off, pilot jets plugged to various degrees, float valves and seats need attention. We'll soon have this thing a-purrin'.

st9.jpg st10.jpg st11.jpg st12.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Rain, cold here this morning...overdue machine maintenance accomplished ....then treated/cleared/cleaned all ST1100 brass (jets, pilot screws) and float valves ....ready to go back into the V4 carb set. Careful adjustments will follow prior to reinstall and startup.

st14.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #87 (Edited)
Good progress today on the ST...carbs synched, float levels set, bowls machine cleaned, some new gaskets, orings, blah blah. Evidence of mice...I vacuumed seeds and junk out of the V...replaced rock hard manifolds with new, found and corrected a major vac leak to both cylinders on LH bank, prepped engine bay and carbs.

I'm thinking the wacky synch settings were an attempt to compensate for the vac leak...broke hose deep within the V (under carbs) but never diagnosed nor repaired. Out of sight, out of mind? Its very possible the mice ate through the dang hose. Finding that (deep within) was a major home run!

Almost there, should a runner tomorrow, we shall see.

st17.jpg st18.jpg st21.jpg st20.jpg st19.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #88 (Edited)
finished a set of 2 fiddies this morning....with another set right behind it.

Trending with alarming frequency......threads destroyed/stripped due to grossly overtightened bowl screws. Requiring surgery, drill, tap for oversize.

·
Super Moderator
14,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
another 2 fiddy finished this evening

lat1.jpg

with a Holley model #1904 single barrel carb from a 1958 Ford F100 pickup right behind, still researching some stuff on it

holley1.jpg

·
Administrator
3,638 Posts
One of my high school buddies, who lived across the street, had one of those. It had a 312 y-block with a three speed, converted to floor shift. It was lowered (before the term "slammed" came into use). The rear axle was mounted above the springs. I can't remember how the front was done. I absolutely LOVED that truck, Should have bought it from him.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
an ex coworker picked up a non runner '58 with Inline 6. 1 more number to find on the carb body to nail down the correct length accel pump shaft, course I could always measure if need be, but carb still assembled. There were 2 differing lengths used in production. Side comment....float is NLA, out of production long ago, rare and expensive if found. Different...few jets as we know them...rather using ports and ball type check valves inside. Completely alien compared to Keihin/Mikuni.

·
Super Moderator
14,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
Woo hoo, blasted a bit and was able to find the tiny stamped, barely legible carb build number...enabling the absolute proper kit to be ordered.
So officially.....Holley 1 barrel model #1904 build # R-1921A.

This information confirms its' the original single barrel carb supplied by Ford factory when new, not an aftermarket "will fit" replacement. Owner now assured, knowing that all the numbers agree, he's appreciative of the homework done so far.

·
Super Moderator
14,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Restoration well underway on this '58 Holley carb, thankfully the kit I sourced is correct and quite comprehensive. Owners wishes to make it look like it did back in the day....so no fancy paint or modern touches, I'm even refurbing and reusing original hardware. This pic not showing all components. I'm being very careful, considering the age. My goal to make it both fully functional and look as close to new/original as I can achieve.

58-1.jpg

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
That's just cool. Love to see all original work preserved rather than over restored to concours quality. It's only original once as the saying goes...........sean

·
Super Moderator
14,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)
ty, i think the owner will be happy with the overall vibe.

Edited to add: owner left a shoutout via voicemail, the '58 running awesome....no more hesitation, his incentive to get the carb done.

·
Super Moderator
14,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #99 (Edited)
Initial findings, curious carb main jets on Honda Shadow. ....should have 105 (front) and 110 (rear carb) sized Keihin factory jets. Instead found NON-KEIHIN mains, 1 marked 86 and the other unmarked! Not from a Dynojet kit, nor Factory Pro. Additionally float valves are shot, obvious wear marks in viton tips. Pilot screws set out a bit too far, though synch is ok. Fine debris found in diaphragm chambers.....still need to check "secondary" air filter (the vent system on these are actually filtered)

Gonna do some homework, sleep on it. Must figure out the nature of these oddball jets.

shad2.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #100 (Edited)
After doing further work and research.....I'm dealing with a Cobra Engineering Jet kit containing 98/102 mains, using stock pilots, unmarked kit needles. I can work with this now. Carbs have been split, machine cleaned, reassembled and await delivery of float bowl gaskets. All issues have been dealt with.
Onward to valve clearance adjustments.

shad7.jpg
shad8.jpg
shad10.jpg
shad11.jpg

81 - 100 of 107 Posts