Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

101 - 120 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Quality stuff....i should have my 996 come to live with you....

·
Super Moderator
14,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
next up a 30mm Mikuni from a Yamaha IT125 , lotta varnish in it

geomik1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Mikuni all done, sent back home already. Bowl gaskets arrived on the Honda Shadow so back to it now.

geomik5.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
^ I likee :D I might add, fine tuned all starts with clean as in "clean carbs matter".

These my next victims....lets see if I can put a smile on their face. Stay tuned the next day or so.

brice1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I got "Gomered" upon disassembly......surprise surprise surprise. Wow. Success, should run like champs now after some "attention".

brice4.jpg
brice14.jpg
brice18.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
These 2 fiddies refurbed today, nose to grindstone.

tm8.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
SV650 Suzuki/Mikuni carbs on bench for refresh today. Weird linkages. Couple of minor issues (dead floats, worn float valve tips) but will work out ok.
Contrary to EX500...these DO have removable/replaceable seats.

sv1.jpg
sv3.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Suzuki SV650 otherwise done, sent wrong bowl gaskets, I await correct and these babies go back home. This discolored, varnished float valve stuck, causing fuel into crankcase scenario.

sv15.jpg
sv14.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
another 250 ...note brass tuning components restored to like new.

hod12.jpg

hod1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
yet another 250 done minutes ago.

Note to self......yo' jerkyboy....take precaution to avoid splashing blue loctite in your eye. Nasty stuff, painful...i can barely open my.....;)

eman2.jpg

143 Posts
Yet another 250 Ninja emulsion tube had more curves than Sophia Loren as result of gross overtightening. Thank you You Tube videos for emboldening those (who shouldn't) to go places that no man has gone before. The associated needle jet was gone missing, likely distorted, unable to properly fit into position in the body. Coincidence? i don't think so. I'm encountering these with frequency these days. Missing certain critical orings, those that were present were hardened, flattened, crystallized....the usual. Compensating for flattened oring/gaskets to prevent leaking, the float bowl screws were seemingly torqued to 96 lb/ft each, TY again YouTube.
Using salvage spares, replaced bent/missing parts, all consumables with new, split & full service, wet testing and adjusting...these came out presentable and will be 100% functional. A major improvement from what was given me...the owner will actually get to ride it again!

noah4.jpg

noah7.jpg

143 Posts
On my list...rebuild of an old school Rochester BC series 1 bbl (barrel)...an upcoming "victim" from a neighbors 50's Chevy pickup. Before and after pics will follow. Missing the ID tag (of course) ....I researched a casting number to reveal and confirm the actual Rochester part # ...all to source a kit. However...with 3 varying accelerator pump designs....measurements are required to order ...I've got further homework, a mandatory carb pull and exam required prior to ordering accel pump parts. I want a new accel pump "cup" and shaft in hand for automatic replacement.
This carb near 70 years old! Requiring "priming" to start...carb must be serviced and eliminated to move forward in path to obtain mechanical reliability.
Old fashioned ignition points inside a vacuum engaged rotating distributor....wow. I'll eventually replace spark plugs, set points and timing....IOW a full tune. Pics to follow, should be fun, or different, or something.

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
The venerable Chevy Stovebolt six. I had to look up the vacuum advance you were talking about. That's pretty funky. One of my friends had a '38 Chevy Master. Not sure if it had the external advance but it did have a vacuum assisted shifter.

·
Super Moderator
14,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Long story, but new owner in a predicament. He just acquired it from out of state. None of the local car repair shops are remotely interested in working on it. He trusts me....and I believe I'm competent to get the thing "right"....however I don't want it to become my ongoing, forever "3rd Ducati".....if you know what I mean. He's certainly gung ho......"spare no expense" his words but I'm not looking to take advantage in any sense. My goal, get it to start, idle, accept throttle...reliably, affordably.
So far, basic carb kit $30 shipped, accel pump shaft assembly from $15 to $30 depending on type needed upon teardown. I'll do the usual full disassembly, use ultrasonic, blasting as needed. Hopefully, the carb service will right all its wrongs. The usual period brass float, needle and seat, internal ball type check valve passageways will require careful inspection and diagnosis. It WAS running ok, but out of nowhere required throttle foot pumping and priming to start. Once started, it runs, but requiring partial throttle where it didn't before. Yes, I'll be checking fuel pump output as well. The carb is visibly "rough"....internals need to be examined first and foremost. AND...I'm disadvantaged working with no clue of past vehicle history.
Certainly a learning experience as the technology is long obsolete...if not alien. Challenging and fun.

AND...2 sets of 250 ninja carbs in the house for refurb. Early morning ride to be cut short, then nose to grindstone upon return tomorrow. Did somebody say retired? (its all good, no complaints)

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
Those 3rd Ducatis will getcha every time. The old Chevy sixes are such sweet engines. I had one in a '71 GMC van, drove it literally all over the country (with a two speed Powerglide) without so much as a hiccup. Chevy produced that same basic engine for 70 years, from 1929 into, I believe, the early 2000s, though the last gen was considerably redesigned.
I'm sure you'll have no difficulties with it and I hope I didn't just jinx you.

·
Super Moderator
14,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Nah, I'll nail it when scheduling allows. He's awaiting final NY registration/plates via mail process (DMV very slow right now) so I got some time. I just need to dissuade this turning into a daily "could you look at...." "whats this?". IOW....the vehicle needs to remain his and not MINE. At the same, with zero service history, will I be blamed for something I never touched? Example....fuel pump fails...."your fault, you worked on the carb!". I need to come to an understanding, diplomatically distance myself somewhat...right from the outset. I'm probably overreacting, but I don't need another vehicle in my stable. Though I've not done any work as yet, beyond research and minor diagnostic... a certain responsibility will come with accepting doing the carb repair.....this one's way too "close to home" and I'm a bit apprehensive in becoming the 2nd owner of the vehicle.

101 - 120 of 149 Posts