Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
the Rochester BC removed, sections separated (revealing the original part # 7003536) some in ultrasonic right now. Found some loose hardware, flattened gaskets, a couple of metering areas with telltale deposits, but yet no major smoking gun. This may yet turn out to be a fuel pump pressure/delivery issue. Again, with no maintenance history...I've got to start with the groady carb first. Anyways some before pics while awaiting rebuild parts(many more to assist me in reassembly)
Unfortunately, my accel pump shaft length does NOT match choices available. I've got a pending tech request in to the vendor.
Challenging right out of the gate.

roch1.jpg
roch6.jpg
roch9.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #123 (Edited)
I've discovered a housing stamped 357...hardly coincidental...I'd venture to say a date code of manufacture or final assembly. All consumable parts now ordered, work tray safely covered and hidden away awaiting arrival.

roch10.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
250 ninja refurb completed today (extremely sticking throttle shaft on master carb resolved) Will be fine runners now.

and7.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
1973 CB350F carbset arriving for refurb late next week. Confirmed leaking at #3 or 4 (owner not quite sure which). A wet test will commence right out of the box, revealing and pinpointing the offending component, the first and foremost priority. Refurb, including required corrective action will then commence. Already given the green light....all consumables will be replaced without hesitation.

·
Super Moderator
14,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #126 (Edited)
In the meantime, back to '57 Rochester. Parts now in hand.

Edit....finished this evening. Encountered one frozen in place ball bearing type accel pump check valve (new ball provided in kit), replaced all consumables (in this case gaskets and seal rings), replaced a seal (where there was none), raised the low float height (adhering to written spec), new float needle & seat, all traces of contamination gone. The insides as clean as the outsides. Cleaned internal fuel filter. Set air screw to suggested starting position. This thing ready for install on truck Monday. Now that carb is eliminated from unknowns...if running is not corrected, will be looking upstream to fuel pump. Before/after and some gut shots.

roch1.jpg

roch16.jpg

roch15.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Carb is fully functional, truck ran great while the fuel pump was actually pumping. Yup, confirmed fuel pump failure, directly affected by engine heat. I disconnected carb fuel inlet line, with a long hose and catch bucket...no output whatsoever from pump. An old glass top original...I'm now researching a rebuild kit to keep it period correct.

·
Premium Member
3,718 Posts
When you said engine heat I was expecting you to say "vapor lock" next. Obsolete Chevrolet Parts would have been my go to for a rebuild kit but they're not around any more.

·
Super Moderator
14,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #129 (Edited)
I'll advise specific reason of pump failure after performing an autopsy. I'm not even removing without rebuild parts in hand first.
In view of its age, I'm confident something internal defective/broken will be obvious. Again, owner has no evidence of service history, for all we know, its untouched from 60-ish year old original.

·
Super Moderator
14,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Incoming....1973 CB350F carb set....passed from owner to owner...leaking the whole time. Current owner wants leak cured, normal service and new orings at fuel rails = full split.

Also .....1993 Yamaha Banshee ATV carbset for refurb service.

·
Super Moderator
14,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
When you said engine heat I was expecting you to say "vapor lock" next.
Hmmm, @K-woppa, you offer a valid point, I'll have to look at that aspect, basic condition/amount of coolant (extreme engine heat?) I've not confirmed actual tank venting as well. Admittedly, some stuff that hadn't occurred to me yet. The heat aspect is present, not coincidental. Fuel lines do closely follow against the hot crankcase. Hmmmm.....

Just to give a basic feel....carb innards revealed a frozen ball check valve, loose fasteners, a missing seal, maladjusted float, a loose vacuum hose on the intake manifold...no clamp present. The closer I look at this thing, minor issues abound. The overall picture, every nook and cranny requiring close examination and process of elimination. So far, I'm correcting all minor crap as encountered.

And....yes, its already turning into my 3rd Ducati. Once I diagnose and correct the stalling condition....I'm bowing out.

·
Premium Member
3,718 Posts
Vapor lock just upstream of the fuel pump is a possibility with old iron. A bit of restriction in the fuel line lowers the pressure, then the added drop of the draw of the fuel pump will lower it further, reducing the boiling point of the fuel, then add proximity of hot parts. Along with the pump rebuild it couldn't hurt to make sure the lines are clear and shielded or away from hot parts.
Then, boot that 3rd Ducati out of the garage and lock the door!

·
Super Moderator
14,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Amen. i'm gonna experiment, measure OD of the metal fuel pump output line, buy appropriate ID rubber fuel line....slice longitudinally and wrap...thus shield the line from heat. Cost what $10? Run and see if any improvement with heat shielding. Thank you, sir. You may have nailed it! It'll be on the list for next dry day.

·
Super Moderator
14,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
The owner now wants to perform the old "buy it new" diagnostic procedure. New fuel pump, inline filter, spark plugs, wires....on and on...here we go. I'm dissuading, opting for "one step at a time" procedures, next up to eliminate vapor lock from the possibilities.

·
Super Moderator
14,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Resolved...pulled fuel feed line from tank to pump...no drippage? Prompted me to then blow compressed air into fuel feed line back into tank, sure enough a restriction. Within a second or 2 heard the tank gurgling, followed by vigorous flow. Reconnected all, start, no stall when warm. To remove/drain/inspect tank innards in near future.

Brake pedal going right to floor...add brake fluid, bleed, recheck. All is well, the thing goes and stops now, though he still awaits NY state plates and reg via mail. I'll get a pic up in next day or so.

·
Super Moderator
14,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Yamaha Banshee 350 Mikunis' in the house for the usual. Kits ordered, meanwhile disassembled, a work in process.

mang1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
1973 CB350F in the house, reported leakers....I wet tested right outta the box....overflowing out of all vents, needles (visible tip wear marks) and seats worn, obviously to be replaced with new. Other issues (main jets held in using RTV in lieu of proper oring, float pins sticking....oi. These need (and WILL get) all new consumables, careful attention in setup.

cb3-2.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
juggling, another set of fi hunnerds completed. Labor Day holiday weekend off? What the heck is that? :)

sar11.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
parts in for Banshee Mikuni carbs...completed this evening

mang11.jpg
mang14.jpg

121 - 140 of 144 Posts