Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

141 - 160 of 164 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
I bet they were doing that with their multi cylinder GP bikes in the mid sixties and the practice carried over to the production multis.

·
Super Moderator
15,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #143 (Edited)
Very possible...double orings assure no leak, reliable. In view of the fact that these oldies are tricky and time consuming to fully split and service....long service life was desired and considered in design, no doubt. My pic only shows a small percentage of the multitude of attaching rack parts and throttle linkage hardware....def an old school design carbset.
I'll follow up with an "overview" pic of removed parts on the overcrowded work in process storage tray. Lotta stuff.

·
Super Moderator
15,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Renovating a badly corroded 250 ninja jet needle required polishing. Mounted my dremel (equipped with polishing pad) in plastic jaw vice. Thus allowing the use of fingers of both hands to carefully steady and hold, avoiding any distortion or bending of the needle. Worked out ok, surface smoothed, preventing expense of a new one.

mar13.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
250 ninj carbs finished, next on the hit parade...1983 Honda CX650 (Keihin CV carbs) here for refurb. Different......hmmmm.....
kits onhand...thankfully bought in advance.

cx1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
37 yo Honda CX650 carbs nearing completion today

cx4.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
before and after, 250 ninj today

tr2.jpg
ewwwww

tr11.jpg
ahhhhhhh

·
Super Moderator
15,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #150 (Edited)
Definite manufacturing variances documented between aftermarket and Keihin factory pilot screws. One ramification...copy cats will not "seat" in same manner as original. Precisely why I refuse to use junk from kits.
Sorry for scribble, but diameter differences an undeniable fact. I'll try and compare pilot jets next.
These from a 250 Ninja....common to 500 as well.

pilot screw.jpg

·
Registered
435 Posts
Save a few bucks at the cost of unlimited headaches, especially when people say "it can't be "x", that was just replaced , it's brand new".

·
Super Moderator
15,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Busy day...both KLR650 and 250 ninj refurbs completed. Nasty, cold, windy anyways, best use of my time.
klr8.jpg
gc3.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Tricky mauled pilot jet removal this morning. Saved the body, now able to go forward with refurb. Pic....unmolested jet shown for comparo.
This on 250 ninja.

hir3.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
multiple issues encountered, corrected, now done, ready to run.

hir19.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Another set from 250 Ninja completed today. I can't possibly get carbs any cleaner than these....immaculate, as clean inside as out. Carefully set up and wet tested, will be fine runners.

cev9.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #156 (Edited)
Pulled this little crab offa (reluctant to start and run) Stihl hedgeclipper today, needle & seat gooped. Corrected, starting/running like a champ. This high end clipper belonging to a pro landscaper, saved him expense of out and out replacement. Ready for pickup 2 hours after it was dropped off, very reasonable fee...requiring no parts whatsoever.
Ladies and gentlemen can you say....repeat business ?

stihl1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Documented, yet another major screw up discovered in a copy cat "carb kit"...this for 250 ninja. I'll submit...an unknowing parts swapper would put these wrong diameter float valves right in. Then would proclaim (when problems immediately arise)...."but can't be float valves....they're brand new!"

Due to human packing/labeling error or QC issue?....dunno, don't care....Another perfect example of why I DO NOT USE copy cat kit crap in my service.
OEM or selected, time proven aftermarket vendor components only here.

kev1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
these nasty 500's a definite challenge

mb1.jpg
mb3.jpg

and yet another Stihl non runner here from landscape service

stihl2.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
the above nasty 500's.......now done.

mb13.jpg

And the above Stihl starting, running and mad revving now. I'm learning some tricks unique to them.

·
Super Moderator
15,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #160 (Edited)
ongoing.... various non-runners being received from the 'scape service. I'm in a learning curve on these tiny Walbro type carbs. Above and beyond simple cleaning and needed carb kit component renewal ...they employ a fuel check valve. A rubber "flapper" reacts to intake and exhaust pulses. Not normally needed, but removal/replacement requires pressing into/out of the carb main body. I'm doing my first one this morning, tantamount to microsurgery. Await new valve on order, but I want to examine, experiment with the old.

I know my microsurgery comment a bit extreme......but to put size in perspective.....an EX250/500 float valve next to a Walbro example. Working with this very tiny stuff certainly a challenge.

walbro2.jpg

walbro1.jpg

141 - 160 of 164 Posts