Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, when im first starting up my bike in the morning how long should i usually run it for with the choke on before or i turn it off, or should i just start it with choke and ride off and turn it off a few minutes down the road?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Welcome to EX500 ownership. They are a blast!

Use the choke sparingly. I turn it full-on just to start, then pull to about half-way, just trying to keep the revs at a point where its smooth, say 2000rpm for a minute, then pull it to off as soon as it will idle without stalling. Its a thing you figure out quickly. Not a good idea to drive down the road with it on for more than a couple of blocks.

G

·
If your bike is in good shape, and it's not too cold, you don't need it for long.

For me, I use full choke to start it, and within about five seconds, back it off half-way. I then put on my jacket, gloves, helmet, and by that time, the bike should be good enough to take the choke off. :)

G

·
Royson said:
If your bike is in good shape, and it's not too cold, you don't need it for long.

For me, I use full choke to start it, and within about five seconds, back it off half-way. I then put on my jacket, gloves, helmet, and by that time, the bike should be good enough to take the choke off. :)
Perfect!! you get a cookie.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Royson said:
Thats what I do too

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I don't use choke when I don't have to.

That means I use it only when the weather is cold. The rest of the time, it starts smoothly

·
Registered
344 Posts
Frog: Even in Texas summers I have to use choke to start my bike. Did you adjust your pilot screws?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
'I' did not do it, but maybe the prev owner did or the shop I went to for my post crash inspection did.

I haven't taken the carbs off my bike yet, it's been running fine all the time and I'm no big fan of fixing something until it breaks ;)

Got the fuel filter mod done yesterday when I was doing my air filter cleanup. Sunlight soap does a pretty good job at removing the crap of the filter ;D

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Even in the summer mine could use the choke to start (I haven't done any thing to it yet, as far as mods to carbs). I don't choke it except briefly, to start.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I know I need at least 1/2 choke for a few seconds to start. Otherwise it will start without choke, but also die promptly. So choke it is then. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am with FROG i dont ever need it although the coldest i have started it in is about 50 deg f. but still started smooth just stumbled a little on accel.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i rarely use choke. hit the starter and rev a little bit, bike will hover around 700-1000rpm till warmed up then idle at 1300-1400

all that extra gas being poured in...carbon buildup hell

1 - 14 of 14 Posts