Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The front end is make a bit of crunchy noise when the front forks compress as I come to a stop. I believed it's simply that coil/spring that sheaths the front brake line, rubbing against the plastic ring (attached to the front fender) that guides it. But it's never made that noise before. And I was looking at it yesterday and wondering: does this spring even belong here? For all i know I could have put it in the wrong place that last time I took the front end apart. Anyway, the spring/coil is presently at the bottom of the brake line, where it meets the caliper, and it runs up inside the plastic guide ring, grating against it whenever the forks compress.

I've been looking at pics of different ex500s, blowing up the front brake lines to look for an example of how things should be, but I'm seeing all sorts of things. Springs down at the bottom like mine, no springs, springs perhaps farther up under the fairing...

I've been searching here and elsewhere for an answer but I suspect it's one of those things many people think is so obvious it needs no discussion.

Can someone tell the correct way?

Thanks!

·
Registered
297 Posts
just food for thought, why don't you upgrade that crappy rubber line with a nice braided steel line>? you get excellent bang for your buck with excellent lever feel and just an all around more reactive lever.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
TBH I don't think it matters where it goes, rule of thumb where ever it will do the most good. springs are fitted to rubber hoses to prevent chafing and to stop the pipe kinking if it runs on a tight bend to keep the pipes shape. so if there is a place where the pipe could rub on something that is where you position the spring.
braided hoses do not need the spring as the above isn't a problem so are rarely fitted (except for aesthetics) usually down near the calliper. all my hoses are braided so no springs fitted.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to you both. I will go out and look at the brake line some more and see if it can be positioned better.... I will try to replace the lines when I do a bunch of other stuff to the bike this winter.

·
Registered
122 Posts
For what it's worth I've got two EXs. The blue one only has ~1400mi so that spring is probably in the same position from when it came off the selling floor. Red's looks the same as well but I've probably taken that on and off.

It'll, at the very least, give you some more reference, and a look at how the beautiful morning sun shines off of my fork ( Bad picture, sorry! )

I've never noticed sound from either of mine, but I wear plugs anytime I sit on a bike outside of diagnosis.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much for the pics! That's just what I've been wanting to see... The springs on both of yours are exactly where mine is. So I guess I put on right--months ago, when I did the last front end work... But I have noticed that the paint is wearing off the spring where it goes through the guide. So there is some grating going on there. Maybe I wore out the guide.. My bike's got 92K miles on it, and a lot of little things like that seem to be wearing out...

·
Registered
122 Posts
You bet, I love trying to fix some of these weird idiosyncrasies that pop up. My favorite is shoving slivers of rubber washers into an old ex250 choke to imitate the friction piece that they don't sell outside of buying a brand new choke, anyway rambling...So here's my first thoughts as far as "fixing" it.

The cheap method: You may be able to take an extra thin piece of 1/4" strip insulation or something similar and pad it along the inner diameter of the plastic ring that the line goes through, might give it enough of a cushion to stop grating, but you'll probably run into issues with that sticking especially if it is rubbing. If you try it I'd pull the plastic ring and clean it very well with rubbing alcohol on the inside.

The actual method: Probably upgrading to braided steel lines if it bothers you.

If you're dead set on a cheap method shoot a video for some extra context and I'll try to MacGyver an idea up, but my gut feeling it you'd need to find something to cushion it a little bit or try and replace the guide. Spring may also be bent or kinked in a way that is affecting how it sits in the guide if it was handled roughly.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again to you. I will be taking a look at it this weekend for a quick and easy fix, and I'll try some of your suggestions. And I may very well replace the line this winter when I do a lot of other work. I've been putting off a lot of work like that because the bike is getting high miles and I've been wondering if I should replace it, but somehow I always wind up holding onto the thing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
This is a bit strange as I also have the spring section going through the plastic loop but doesn't make any rubbing sound. Perhaps yours is twisted after the caliper was serviced or unbolted?

·
Super Moderator
6,957 Posts
The brake line is also supposed to be zip tied to the upper inner fork.

·
Administrator
15,647 Posts
upgrading to braided steel lines
+1 on this upgrade. I 've done a few, between that coupled with a caliper/piston clean, new fluid, bleeding and new pads....a dramatic difference in brake action.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts