Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
3,674 Posts
+1 and their work continued homeside after WWII as citizens ...that generation also known as "the builders".

Sadly, attempts are now made to rewrite history, so much purposely forgotten or ignored in the interest of PC....i'll leave it at that.
Oh, for sure. That generation grew up during the Great Depression, learned how to persevere and endure hardship, then on to the hell of WWII. But as part of the war effort they were intensely trained in a variety of areas, and when they came back during peacetime, they exploded with creativity, productivity, and prosperity; Hot rods, the RV industry, electric guitars, Rock and roll and much more. It was an exuberant culture, the best period in American history and probably the best time for any civilization on earth, with due respect to our international forum membership.

You see, I'm old enough to have caught a glimpse of the tail end of it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
That's pretty cool (no pun intended). What do you do there?

A year or so ago, my wife volunteered to visit an old man in the hospital. Among other things, he had serious back issues. It didn't take long for her to find out that the old guy was a WWII(!) waist gunner on a B-24, and his back woes were caused by an injury he got when the plane was shot down in enemy territory.

He gave her a DVD of an interview he once did on a local cable show, where he talked about his experiences. We watched it together and as this guy calmly told his story I sat there with my mouth open. Several times I rewound it while exclaiming "Did he just say what I think he did?! Yep, he did.

He passed on shortly thereafter, but we're both glad she got to know him. They truly WERE the greatest generation.

I get to work on a D-Day veteran C-47 Skytrain named "Whiskey 7" She was the lead plane on the second wave of D-Day, and dropped paratroopers at St. Mere Eglise. We are working on winter maintenance right now. I went on my first event last year in August in Ohio. We fly her there and offer rides, and they did a flyover at Conneaut beach.

I was on board for one of the flyovers.

Currently in the hangar.

Me in the cockpit. One of her pilots took the pic for me, yes that is a tattoo of "Whiskey 7" on my arm.

I did get a chance to work on, and fly in the B-17 "The Movie Memphis Belle" as well. They ended the lease of the plane this year because of the expense.

You can just see the toe of my boot in the bottom of the pic.

Stop me if I've hijacked the thread, lol. I could talk about Whiskey 7 all day. I'm sure not a day goes by that I don't mention the museum or Whiskey.

·
Administrator
3,674 Posts
I could talk about Whiskey 7 all day. I'm sure not a day goes by that I don't mention the museum or Whiskey.
As it should be because that's pretty awesome. Thanks for all the pics.
There's a small town airport just about a mile from my house and the old war birds come there every year in September. When I first moved into my house, I didn't know anything about this. I found out though, when I walked out of my garage into my front yard and one of the four engine bombers (don't know which) flew over me from behind at very low altitude. I froze in place then got a little awe struck as I looked up at it. Pretty impressive.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
my only countdown right now is to get out from under the weather. not the weather outside, even if it turned a bit of late, but rather the intense head cold i've been suffering through since sometime in november.

it went away for a while and came back, and went away again. now it's back with a vengeance. if i were a hypochondriac i'd think i had the corona virus. as that is a respiratory illness rather than sinusitis or sinuvitus or what ever you call intense sinus problems, i'll stick with the head cold description.

scarcely been able to get out of bed since yesterday afternoon. feel like i'm about to keel over right now even.

gotten zero work done on any of my projects, house, yard, motorcycle or otherwise. difficult to concentrate even. cannot complete a train of thought without sneezing or coughing up what ever is rolling down the back of my throat from my sinuses.

two weeks ago, the pressure was just intense. like my right eye was going to pop right out of my skill intense. i could feel my skull creaking from the pressure. not unlike when you pressurize a vessel and you can hear the metal creaking. that's how my head felt.

it was gone after a few days and i actually pedaled to work for two weeks. yesterday i got off the bike and couldn't warm up. then my head started to pressurize again. i went to bed at 5 of 5:00 and didn't wake up until 8:00am.

i just want this thing gone. can't keep getting sick like this. our weather hasn't helped much. near freezing in the morning, 80 degrees on the way home in the afternoon. beautiful weather to ride in....if you leave for work after 9:00am.

sorry for the thread jack.....we don't have too many winter milestones to check off here. superbike racing started last weekend so, that's kinda the big one for us to check off. checking off.....sean

·
Super Moderator
14,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
T'jacks fine, doanworryboudit....this thread all about anticipation. Season just about ready to jump off here.

*thankfully, "all clear" via follow up care
*been working with weights at home (purposely staying away from the gym in fear of any infection)
*all 4 red bitches road legal for '20
*totally ready (if not frothing at the mouth!) to prep bikes for spring

Wow, 60 degree here on Monday...my goal to have that Polaris ATV completed and outta my garage back to owner forthwith.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
T'jacks fine, doanworryboudit....this thread all about anticipation. Season just about ready to jump off here.
Thanks for that.....was absolutely miserable when I posted last. Better today, called in sick yesterday with the idea that I'd sleep most of the day again today.

Slept almost all day yesterday, didn't get out of bed until 5:00 PM. Only then because I needed to eat and take some meds.

Took some Mucinex D maximum strength and started to feel a bit better last night. Still, didn't feel well enough to go outside, much less back to work.

Took more this morning and am feeling better. Not near as miserable. Back to work tomorrow. I can at least think straight even if I feel weak from not eating much for 2 days. Soup only goes so far.

Riding season here has been underway for a few weeks now. Like I wrote, freezing in the morning, but perfectly fine after around 9:00 AM. Sucks being laid up in bed and hearing everyone out riding....sean

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Oh yeah? Well I have thought about riding every day this week!

keyda81, there is a very good chance that my dad helped build that B-17, as he was a wing riveter at Boeing's Plant 2 from 1941 onward.

·
Super Moderator
14,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
still awaiting spring here ...one day nastier than the next culminating in very little riding (actually just 1) so far.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts