Administrator
15,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
THAT TIME O' THE YEAR ONCE AGAIN....

-Dec 21 Winter solstice...........check
-Dec 25 Christmas..........check
-Jan 1 New Years Day..........check
-January 17 Martin Luther King birthday.........check
-Jan 29-30 Rolex 24/IMSA series at Daytona (opens the US racing season)....
-February 20 Daytona 500 NASCAR....
-February 21 Washingtons B'day/Presidents Day....
-March 12 Daytona 200 sanctioned by MOTOAMERICA

Open comments welcome as we progress....checkin' em off one by one.

#Comeonspringdammit

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Administrator
15,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
a '22 bump up here, i'm amped up, ready to ride

#Comeonspringdammit

·
Border Kong
934 Posts
After a short 3-day vacation from work, I really need to go for a good ride. Here in northern Mexico, the season does not close, unless the temperature is below 10°C (50°F), which occurs intermittently between January and February. Although I really prefer to ride when we are above 18C (65F).

Things I need to do to my little 150cc before this happens:

• Valve setting
  • Brake caliper service
  • Changing and bleeding brake fluid
  • Fork seals replacement
  • Battery change (optional)
  • Replacement of rear turn signals

·
Border Kong
934 Posts
It's a Chinese parts Mexico assembled custom stile bike. Italika RC150.

I have not a recent picture of mine but it's like this one:
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Reactions: auburn and bpe

·
Administrator
15,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
piece o' cake to work on, no?

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Seattle area rain shortage: not currently on the schedule.

·
Border Kong
934 Posts
piece o' cake to work on, no?
Yeah, pretty easy. To adjust valves I just need to take out 3 bolts from the head cover. No gas tank remove, no seat remove, no fairings to take out... But I'd be lying if I said I don't miss my EX500

Reactions: bpe

·
Administrator
15,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I must bow to the simple accessibility of the unfaired , air-cooled single cylinder. Are parts readily available?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Having sold my EX500 a while back, I'm mulling going over to the dark side and buying myself a brand new Yamaha R3. Never in my life have I been the first owner of any vehicle and just once in a lifetime it might be a cool thing. (What's the point of leaving a big estate to a bunch of undeserving bums? Just kidding but some of them probably wouldn't mind inheriting a cool motorcycle, anyway.)

Even though I'm lucky healthwise, due to advancing age its likely to be my last motorcycle so I might as well make it a really good one. Compared to an EX500, the R3 looks more modern, is roughly 30 pounds lighter, has way better suspension, fuel injection, 40000 km valve adjustment intervals, and great aftermarket support. What's not to like? (I have been looking at the Ninja 400 as well, but I have to say the R3 looks to me to be the better motorcycle.)

Who knows if I'll actually pull the trigger (i.e. paying retail goes against my nature!) but its sure a nice fantasy to help get me through the winter months.

·
Administrator
15,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd encourage your purchase, whatever the choice. Owning 3, I'm done shopping. The '19 CBR650 Honda was brand new, my last bike fo' sure. No regrets!

DO IT @[email protected] !!

·
Border Kong
934 Posts
I must bow to the simple accessibility of the unfaired , air-cooled single cylinder. Are parts readily available?
Tons of them. May be it is because here in Mexico we have 4 or 5 motorcycle brands that share the same characteristics: Chinese parts, assembled in Mexico, low cylinder capacity (up to 250cc, single cylinder) and accessible through chain store credits.

In most cases, the engine is the same between brands, only the clutch and flywheel covers change, with the brand of the assembler engraved.

Not to mention all the compatible Chinese aftermarket parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts