Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
You're talking to me as well. My '86 K75 with ~75,000 kms has also likely never had an injector service since it was brand new 36 years ago. Which equals 2083 kms (1200 mi) on average per year. That means a lot of time sitting idle, much of it with ethanol laced gas. (I can't remember exactly when they started to adulterate our fuel supply, but its been decades now.)

It has always started and run fine but that doesn't mean that it couldn't be significantly improved.

·
Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
It has always started and run fine but that doesn't mean that it couldn't be significantly improved.
I thought my Toyota ran fine too....until witnessing the change in before/after spray pattern and running improvement after. Were def plugged up.

·
Administrator
16,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
used throttle body with injectors for my Ducati SS800
Should be here tomorrow, then, when able, I'll pull the injectors and get them on the machine. First, electrical resistance tests on coils, then a comparative flow test followed by ultrasonic and reverse flow cleaning then repeat flow testing. I'll take notes, pics to document anything worthy. Variables include the (unknown) length of disuse period, condition of internal filter, seals and orings and obvious buildup of internal varnish, etc. Should prove interesting, to say the least.

Reactions: Apriliarider

·
Administrator
16,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Injectors were so corroded solid in their seats (white, solid corrosive was evident).......removed with some wrestling after a spray of WD40. Resistance readings identical at 17.4 ohm each injector, exactly equal to my new, exact Marreli injectors. An initial medium test spray indicates 1 working, 1 totally clogged, now a great opportunity to check how the ultrasonic works! I'll give them a stint in my normal heated ultrasonic machine first. Equal flow is the ultimate goal, initially to get the #3 to spray at all the immediate challenge.

Pic of initial spray test.....note the 2 end tubes (#1 and #4) are not in use. #3 clearly plugged up solid. #2 was initially, but cleared itself somewhat.

Testing will continue after the 1st ultrasonic bath. Note these are being tested as removed from the rails....original filters and o-rings. Spares in hand for further, final testing, o' course.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Engineering Audio equipment Gas

·
Administrator
16,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Immediate challenge has been 99% met! The totally clogged injector #3 has been cleared, though netting just a bit behind #2 in mass delivery. Good to know the total immersion method of my normal ultra-s is successful. Onward to round 2.... its now in the injector machine ultrasonic using B12 cleaner. Eagerly awaiting results of further cleaning....these pics from round 1, notice #2 just a shade higher level.

Motor vehicle Blue Clock Automotive tire Gas

Light Building Tower Line Tower block

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Administrator
16,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

Reactions: bpe

·
Administrator
16,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
A valid testbed.....however, I've discovered why the $35 throttle body was initially removed...found 1 faulty, intermittent spraying injector! Currently working on clearing it. Resistance readings remain consistent, whether working, or not, indicating its coil is ok. To be clear....its flowing fluid, but not spraying ...on a totally intermittent basis. I'm currently doing further ultrasonic on it in a final repair attempt. Hoping its a sticking pintle.

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Tanker Clown
8,756 Posts
That would be my guess. I’ve given thought to buying a similar machine myself and, as I have similar motorcycles your experience is highly relevant to what I’d like to do.

Seeing it in action reveals quite a bit. I’d really like to run all the injectors from my 3 runners through cleaning cycle and see what improvement could be made…..I’m almost certain my little GSXR would benefit greatly. Not that my 996 and Mille R wouldn’t also, but neither of them sat as much as the GSXR.

Thanks for posting G, I’ve been following as closely as I can

·
Administrator
16,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The possible result of a few shots of WD40 into the inlet may have cleared it up as it is spraying fine once again at all 3 settings. Still set up in the machine overnight, I'll try a few longer term on/off transitions commencing tomorrow.

Sean, I'd be honored if you'd consider an offer from me to perform a zero charge full injector service for you....of course I'd require "rebuild kits" (about $20 complete for all 4 injectors) .......to be done at your leisure. I'd complete it in a few hours, ship them back the next day.

·
Tanker Clown
8,756 Posts
I will take your generous offer into consideration. I could not, in all honesty proceed without considering compensation for your time and application of your skills.

My main issue with the GSXR injectors is identifying the correct rebuild kits for the 2004-2005 model years. I can find up to 2003 and 2006 on up. For whatever reason, 04-05 are different.

Once I get that figured out (honestly, only done a short cursory search) I’ll PM you. Thank you for offering…..sean

·
Administrator
16,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
@Apriliarider ebay vendor "best-supplies" has GSXR600 "kits", part #'s confirmed. Fits ND injector Suzuki part #: 15710-17G00

Just 3 pieces per injector x4....filter basket, upper oring, lower seal.....$20.50 w/free shipping from Jax, Fla.

Let me know.

·
Administrator
16,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
a few common sense "revelations" already learned within my injector service procedures:

*remove any lower oring/seal prior to using (machine) ultrasonic (as swelling will occur with immersion in powerful cleaner) Note the lower half of injector (only) is immersed in fluid, thus the top oring is safe to leave in place.
*remove original, but do not yet install new filter basket until reverse flow procedure has been completed (allowing any particulates free exit pathway)
*a shot of WD40 may be applicable, prior to (machine) ultrasonic

More (specific to machine) guidelines will follow as recognized and learned.

·
Administrator
16,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
the intermittent injector is now confirmed just that, failed in testing yet again. Gonzo.

·
Administrator
16,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Still prior to riding season, a great day to delve into my (bought used) spare SS800 throttle body. Actually, quite simple. Now spilt, 1 half in the ultrasonic right now. I'll figure out new orings for the removed air bleed screws while the opportunity exists. So simple. Clean up to commence. Been sitting a few years now, a very real mess (note badly corroded surfaces evident)

Gas Auto part Machine Metal Engineering

Tool Auto part Machine Nickel Metal

·
Administrator
16,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
After following up ultrasonic with a blasting session, I'll go on record right now as stating these TB's, along with my new injectors, will offer up a set of fully usable spares. One more (a repeat) cleaning round to go, then fuel hose/feed line replacement with new will follow. Oetiker clamps required, on hand, as are air bleed o-rings. A worthwhile investment, for $35 (plus new injectors) how can you go wrong?

Pics to follow.

·
Administrator
16,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
throttle bodies done, moving on to new fuel supply hoses and associated fittings next

a before and after on TB's

Gas Auto part Machine Metal Engineering

Motor vehicle Toy Gas Automotive design Automotive exterior

• Love
Reactions: FlipFlop and auburn

·
Administrator
16,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
injectors (new orings) now installed (pic'll follow)

Working at a leisurely pace , too early to get ridin' as yet (just had snow yesterday)

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Engineering

·
Administrator
16,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Injector service completed today, Note I did not swap out throttle bodies. Testing revealed a definite imbalance between injectors, I opted to swap 1 out. Attached pic after swap. Now synched much closer in output, all back together, starting, idling well. Looking forward to a full test ride tomorrow.

Between this service, including a solder repair (LH turn signal inop on my LED integrated tail light on the Ducati) and getting the Honda roadworthy ......a busy couple o' days.
Todays first ride of the season on the Honda revealed how terribly out of shape I am.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grille Font Bumper

Water Cloud Sky Water resources Ecoregion

·
Administrator
16,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
40 mile ride revealed some nice get up and go on the 2nd half of throttle, otherwise, same stable idle/mid-range characteristics.

·
Administrator
16,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
a well overdue follow-up.....so busy riding I've not delved into the Corolla or the Rav4 as yet. We'll get there.

Reactions: auburn
21 - 40 of 40 Posts