Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only put about 50 miles on my bike since I got it and it seems to be a very good all around bike. In the past I have driven an 1100special, a gs550e, a bmw r1100s and a virago920. The Bmw is by far the fastest bike I've rode. I just don't understand why people call the 500 ninja a slow/girls/beginner bike. It is slower than most/all of the 600+cc bikes but, by no means does this bike only putt around town. I haven't rode side by side with my suzuki gs yet but, I think they are about the same in quickness. The gs has some extra work done to it. The only reason to buy a bigger bike would be to have better freeway acceleration or top speed. Which, in a sense means that you are more prone to wreckless or law breaking riding.

Logically, who really (in their right mind) needs to do 120+ down the freeway. I can honestly say that this little ninja 500 can hang with the best of them on windy roads. It is by far more comfortable than the super fast crotch rocket lightning speed bikes of nowadays. The price is right on the money, and it has a strong reputation for durability. I bet, that if the same professional rider was to drive the 500r and a modern death machine crotch rocket on a twisty windy mountain or coastal highway that the 500 would not be far behind at all.

So, I took off from a stop light today. Full throttle. It says something about a bike when you only have 1 second to switch into second gear. And, to be doing 60+ after second gear at only 3.4 seconds is pretty good. My 03' sentra spec v with CAI, Headers, Cam and a full nismo exhaust is pretty dang quick for what it is. This bike will outperform it by a long shot. It may be comparing apples to oranges but when it comes to having fun on a bike for a fraction of a cost as compared to the superbikes it is well worth the investment. And, in 5 years or so it will still have enough value per years of price decline to be worthy of my garage.

In closing.... I am completely pleased with what this bike has to offer a rider of any age or style. So, why (unless you have a need for road rash or death) do you need anything faster than this great piece of two wheeled iron. I sure wish more people would give this bike the respect it deserves. Thanks Kawi. And thanks to ex-500 for letting me voice my opinion.

20+ years of riding and still loving it......

·
Registered
308 Posts
you are very right. i havent been riding all that long, but these little bikes will get up and go! you dont have to take any **** off 99% of cars, and you can beat the piss outta most non SS bikes. and to the uneducated..it dosnt really matter what cc it is. cuz i know i get alot of looks and jealous comments. and ive never had a chick say "oh thats it?"

you can get from 0-to-jail time in nothing flat

while i will be upgrading to a 600+ss someday, i dont think ill ever get rid of the ex. their a blast!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Some people just ride for the style / looks of the bike. I know I love my Ninja 500R. But there are days when I wish it was smoother and had some lower end torque. I have not ridden crotch rockets long enough to have felt pain, but the 500R is very comfy.

I still plan to upgrade to something some time, but in all honestly after only 7500 Miles on this 500R I don’t know if I should switch.

-Gagi

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Twangintheblues said:
I bet, that if the same professional rider was to drive the 500r and a modern death machine crotch rocket on a twisty windy mountain or coastal highway that the 500 would not be far behind at all.
On the street these are capable of running with ANYTHING in the twisties. I know because I've done it and do it. Proper springing is all that's needed at the upper end of the limits. On the street especially, it's the rider, not the bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree that the majority of the riders on the gsxr's or r1 style of bikes are riding them around just for the popularity and looks. It's like the guy in the vette who gives it some gas and goes from 20-50 really fast just so people can look at his ride. It's a status thing. Don't get me wrong. The newer bikes are a thing of beauty. I love to browse the showrooms and look at these machines. I just can't see forking out that kind of money for something that is inevitabely gonna bring me to the hospital sooner or later. Bikes aren't really that safe anyways, I just don't think it's too wise to increase the chance for injury just to look cool. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say 90% of the riders on the new fast bikes have never even opened them up to their potential. It's probably more than that.

Honestly, I really want an sv650 but, after reading what they can do on dragtimes.com they are not really any faster in the 1/4 mile than the 500r. And, you are hunched over a lot more which would make for some discomfort on longer trips. My boss, who has the BMWr1100s is always complaining of his shoulder hurting or his hand falling asleep. For the price, it doesn't seem like a fair tradeoff.

How many people do you think have actually pushed their 500 to it's limits? I bet it's not too many.

The only thing that is not fantastic on this bike is the rolling acceleration. Yet, I think it is good enough for any rider that just wants to get out on the road and have some fun.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Twangintheblues said:
How many people do you think have actually pushed their 500 to it's limits? I bet it's not too many.
I'll bet FOG has! 8) Same with the rest of the racers.

And yes, the bigger bikes ARE fun. I have a 636 track bike and a CBR-1000F for my main street bike. They have their place and are more refined. But what they WON'T do is make me a faster twisty rider or a better rider. That's up to me. When the arguement is can I go fast on this or that, the answer is by far and away in the rider's skills, not the bike he's on. It's scary when I hear guys who buy a bigger bike to go faster in the twisties. If they can't go fast on an EX they won't be fast on anything else, either. They'll wind up disappointed or hurt.

S

·
0 Posts
I will be upgrading within a year to more of a sport bike (I really like the gsx-r 750), mainly for the stability in corners, little more (ok, more than 2x) power, and honestly it looks better to me!

I really enjoy the 500, and it's a blast to ride, but I've been pushing it fairly hard in the corners recently and I've really started to notice the "wobble", plus the odd size tires make it a hassle.

·
Registered
146 Posts
So many reason why i'm not getting a bigger streetbike in the near future. In fact my second bike is going to be a dual sport so i can experience all kinds of riding. I do want to get into racing in the future and I want to do it with the 500. Main reason for that is price. I paid $2500 for it vs 8-10k for a 600 or 750. I personally think it would be more fun on the track. I can't wait to move back to the lower 48 so i have the chance to hit a track. I really look forward to moving back east as well and possibly getting to hit up louden(sp?). I may even make the move to a supermoto style bike for i hear they are even better in the curves. For now i'm happy with what I have though. Some day i may go bigger but i'd rather spend the money on other things like protective gear and other style bikes. When i can hit highway speeds from a dead stop in 4 seconds stock i'm plenty happy. And that's a reason i'm glad i got away from modding cars. Now I just have to stop spending money on my truck...haha.

·
Registered
96 Posts
That first comment is completely true. Your average bike is a pant load faster than your average car, it's the nature of the beast. And there really is no logical reason for anything bigger or faster then our little fiver. If I was to upgrade, I would like to do it mostly to change to a European bike, preferably the triumph daytona 6, or a street fighter, cuz Europeans are the only ones who can really make a naked bike look good. But I should think that I'll be clicking in on this forum and tinkering around with the EX long after I have gone through numerous other bikes. New sport bikes are engineered for the race rack, and sold to the public for squids. A big part of the reason I bought the EX500 was because I didn't want to be part of the whole squid scene; I wanted to learn how to ride on a bike I could handle, and actually respect motorcycling because it's an awesome thing to be able to do. Aside from that, I don't want to pay two months wages just to insure a litre bike.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
For me, it's about power, performance, handling, street ability, sound, and appearance. that's why I own a CBR600RR. 105 horses between your knees is more than most would need, and i wont want any more for a while. Sure, it'll do 140-160 no sweat and true you don't need that much speed, but when you taste it for the first time, it's hard to let it go.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The 500 is damn fast, plus I get better MPG than the 600cc SS bikes. The cops seem to notice my bike less also, which is fine by me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had EX for a year. I loved it. Easy to ride, maneuverability is very good.
However, I got SV1K and l love that 1L bike. It is not overwhelming at all. I got pass initial brake in and it is a beautiful BEAST with mellow manners!
I used to get front wobble at times if I let go handlebars. With SV, there is steering damper, I can let go of handlebars and feel nothing but deceleration of the bike (very strong by the way) ...Another thing I like about SV is very easy to get to Neutral and back into gear, unlike EX you have hellowa time getting back into gear while in motion !
You can open it up and it will slide sideways coming out of the corner ;) or you can do 40MPH in 5th gear barely touching the throttle ;D
It is a torque monster!
I love DUCATI(expensive), but SV comes very close to DUC's sound and engine performance!
I wish I could own 2 bikes...but 1 is enough!
Speed is a rider's responsibility.
There is a speed confort zone for every bike!
On SV it is 70-80 MPH...om me EX it was 60-70 ...
Cheers!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Knightslugger said:
For me, it's about power, performance, handling, street ability, sound, and appearance. that's why I own a CBR600RR. 105 horses between your knees is more than most would need, and i wont want any more for a while. Sure, it'll do 140-160 no sweat and true you don't need that much speed, but when you taste it for the first time, it's hard to let it go.
YEAH!
braking 130 MPH before 8K RPM is addicting!
I can't go pass 8K RPM yet!
I can only imagine what will happen if I get to 10-10.5K RPM ;D
It is like SEX, once you've tried it you will never be abstinent ;)
Cheers!

R

·
0 Posts
From my perspective as an old man of 48, its a youth thing. When I was 20 I rode a KH500 triple. I got off on blowing the Harleys and 750's away. Trust me, if you survive long enough, you will get over it. The EX is plenty fast for the street, cheap insurance, good mileage... With a new 600RR of liter bike, one lapse in consentration and it can bite you. Is it really a good thing to have a bike that will wheelie in 3rd gear? When I first got the EX, I thought I would eventually move up, but now I just don't see the point.

Rich

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
dad said:
Twangintheblues said:

And yes, the bigger bikes ARE fun. I have a 636 track bike and a CBR-1000F for my main street bike. They have their place and are more refined. But what they WON'T do is make me a faster twisty rider or a better rider. That's up to me. When the arguement is can I go fast on this or that, the answer is by far and away in the rider's skills, not the bike he's on. It's scary when I hear guys who buy a bigger bike to go faster in the twisties. If they can't go fast on an EX they won't be fast on anything else, either. They'll wind up disappointed or hurt.
Limit? Limits, oh you mean like it's ability to fly... So far I have achieved 130 feet @ about 20 feet elevation At Bridghampton's turn 5

FOG

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
FOG said:
Limit? Limits, oh you mean like it's ability to fly... So far I have achieved 130 feet @ about 20 feet elevation At Bridghampton's turn 5

FOG
He beaten the Wright Bros without any wings.. FOG's a living legend :eek:

·
Registered
72 Posts
FOG said:
dad said:
Twangintheblues said:

FOG
Does downhill fall count???
I've flown (tumbled down) about 50 feet on somwheat sharp rocks. I cannot emphasize enough the importance of riding gear!
I was wearing full downhil gear that wat saved my a$$ big time!
I have not gone down on a bike yet!
I don't even want to think about it even though I think of going down all the time!
Cheers!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts