Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Wonderfully cool, clear and slightly windy day....VFR weather. Did a couple hours on an abbreviated North Shore run. As its a normal workday...traffic was sparse. Yeah, this retirement gig thing is workin' out.

Back to the Triumph 675 electrical mess later this afternoon.

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Wonderfully cool, clear and slightly windy day....VFR weather. Did a couple hours on an abbreviated North Shore run. As its a normal workday...traffic was sparse. Yeah, this retirement gig thing is workin' out.

Back to the Triumph 675 electrical mess later this afternoon.
It is a British bike afterall. Beautiful if only a bit quirky. Good luck, but I know you will find whatever is ailing it soon enough.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
An 85 mile round trip, early morning quickie on an abbreviated North Shore run this morning on the old 900SS.

Reaffirmed the old bugger is without reservation, my personal fave on a number of levels. Changing lines, dodging potholes, roadkill, beer cans in the road requires just a twitch. Thing feels like its stuck to the road.

Purposely playing with the motor low end, throttling from low RPM....fun fun fun factor 11.

Still getting "nice bike" comments, thumps up, waves....a lot. I guess I'm doin' somethin' right.

·
Registered
320 Posts
It is a British bike afterall. Beautiful if only a bit quirky. Good luck, but I know you will find whatever is ailing it soon enough.

There is extremely little that is British about modern Triumphs. Just about the name and the Headquarters. All of the parts are sourced globally, probably a good thing.

Modern Triumphs are not quirky at all, they feel and ride just like modern Japanese machinery. The reason the 675 has issues is a PO who butchered the poor bike, and not because it's a Triumph.

·
Super Moderator
14,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
tonight the Triumph is up on F + R prop stands, fork work to commence this week, I'll be multitasking, some wiring details too

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The abbreviated North Shore run 40 mile loop has become my near daily...scratches the itch yet leaves me with time to tend to ongoing responsibilities.

Low tide at the North Shore entry to the Nissequogue River exposes a ton of beach normally under 10 foot of water.

I ride there, park, walk the large perimeter, then the beach. Somewhat a trip within the trip....walking in sand/rock is physically demanding, great exercise, all in all.

Added benefit...lunch at my most favored waterfront pizza place! :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
766 Posts
Nice pics! And nothing is like stopping off at a local pizza joint!

My ride's generally go for 50 miles, find some mom and pop restaurant for lunch, then ride back taking another route if possible.

Great that you can take a little walk as well! Although those "couple of slices" ain't gonna help the waist line! :D

·
Super Moderator
14,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
My recent med background requirement.....I need all the added weight a diet of pizza, glazed donuts and strawberry shortcakes can afford me. :surprise:

Docs orders....eat as much as you can, whatever you like, as often as you can...wait 20 minutes, repeat. :wink2:

·
Super Moderator
14,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
after errands this morning, my usual short run ....encountered HIGH tide. Where'd all that sandy beach go? Walked a couple of laps around the perimeter for usual exercise, too.

Attachments

·
Registered
766 Posts
after errands this morning, my usual short run ....encountered HIGH tide. Where'd all that sandy beach go?

At least you got a few miles in today. Nothing but severe thunderstorms yesterday, today, tomorrow's supposed to be even worse...and then rain all weekend from that tropical "whatever" coming across the bow this weekend. :mad: Glad I live in "The Sunshine State"!

Not to mention, my teacher summer vacation ends in about 4-5 hours when I plan to hit the rack. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Teachers report tomorrow morning so my "summer" is ovah!!!

·
Super Moderator
14,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
If I may ask...what grades and subjects do you teach?

I might indulge upon a dinner time North Shore run tonight....different on a couple of levels, what with the 650R being the antithesis of the 900SS and all. Yup, @Devilsfan....I got it!

Way too early to offer any fair observations other than it DOES easily accept being "thrown around" a bit...and Honda I-4 smooth, so smooth. Clutch pull effortless.
Obviously, I'm breaking in tires and engine, even scuffing in brake pads. Overall taking it easy...I'll become less kind as some miles get on...will offer fair feedback based on gradual, moderately aggressive inputs, when appropriate.

SOP....will personalize (adjust) both hand and shift controls before leaving tonight.
And the long tail must go *soon* ....options exist.

·
Registered
766 Posts
If I may ask...what grades and subjects do you teach?

I might indulge upon a dinner time North Shore run tonight....different on a couple of levels, what with the 650R being the antithesis of the 900SS and all. Yup, @Devilsfan....I got it!

Way too early to offer any fair observations other than it DOES easily accept being "thrown around" a bit...and Honda I-4 smooth, so smooth. Clutch pull effortless.
Obviously, I'm breaking in tires and engine, even scuffing in brake pads. Overall taking it easy...I'll become less kind as some miles get on...will offer fair feedback based on gradual, moderately aggressive inputs, when appropriate.

SOP....will personalize (adjust) both hand and shift controls before leaving tonight.
And the long tail must go *soon* ....options exist.

You got it??? Where are the pics?!?!

(Until this question is answered I cannot congratulate! :grin2: )

***As for teaching, I switched from elementary school (where I taught all subjects and in 3rd, 4th and 5th grade - last two years were 5th) to 6th Grade Middle School World History. We got a new principal last year in elementary and, although her and I got along just fine I didn't agree with her vision and demands as I felt they were unrealistic with our population. I asked for a transfer and this position came up. LOVE MIDDLE SCHOOL HISTORY!!!

·
Super Moderator
14,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Promise I'll post some water view pics from my usual run tomorrow.

Good to hear you like what you are doing career wise.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
holà :grin2:....I was just wondering what became of the Triumph you were sorting out earlier in the thread? I figured you finished it already and were saving that story for another thread....but I got curious and thought to ask.......sean

·
Super Moderator
14,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Coincidentally, the owner and i did an afternoon on "the Pile" today. Nearly done. I covered progress in another thread somewhere.

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
after errands this morning, my usual short run ....encountered HIGH tide. Where'd all that sandy beach go? Walked a couple of laps around the perimeter for usual exercise, too.
That looks like a beautiful spot. Thanks for sharing the pic.

·
Super Moderator
14,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Wonderful ride today with a hint of cooling off here....small, winding back roads which encircle the harbors of Stony Brook and the Nissequogue river. Pic..I'm on the east side at Short Beach....beautiful, totally unaffordable waterfront homes line the way. Across the way (west side) is that surprise pizza shop I've written about, right on the water, within a large residential area.

As expected, the Honda running impeccably, no complaints whatsoever.

Returned home completely relaxed, back to both my driveway blacktop restoration project and......a set of 500 carbs for refurb.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Goodbye summer....much cooler weather has swung into the area.....the VFR to now get the frequent nod.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts