Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
An extended North Shore run into Nassau County today on my 650 Honda. Terrible quality pics of 2 prominently displayed Ducatis through the front windows at Billy Joels' 20th Century Motorcycles in Oyster Bay (currently closed of course) A MHR (Mike Hailwood Replica) and an early generation 900SS both rare and valuable. No doubt he told his employees to buy every Duc they could lay their hands on, and money is no object, of course.
Beach parking lots were filled, and some towns have actually opted to close them.
Normally busy Main St, Bayville tourist type businesses are locked up, area empty, quite alarming to see. Beaches and parking lots filled with folks getting out in sun and fresh air at least.

A good run, though late afternoon traffic filled with DITS drivers....Dead In The Seat, usually in SUV's. Stoplight changes green, they sit 10 seconds, hesitate at traffic junctions, drive well UNDER speed limits, no turnsignals, constant brakelights.....stopping for ??? no good reason. Blah blah blah. Seemed inconceivably bad today.

bayville3.jpg bayville1.jpg bayville2.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
dusted off the 800 today, winter project of relocation of controls a total success. Raised riding position a welcome improvement.

ride5.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
now cooler temps here ....after being passed over during hot summer, the pizza oven (VFR) is legal, prepped and RTG for fall riding season.

·
Super Moderator
14,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
My older Duc the last in line for NY state inspection, went this afternoon but shop ran out of stickers. Owner had mentioned he was getting low. I'll get back next week, no biggie.
65 miles today, mostly backroads, the old, antiquated, air-cooled, carbed Ducati still impressive after all these years. Loves the cooler weather. I must say....the carburetion truly rivaled FI. Obsolete? Hardly. Thanks again to Ghost Motorcycle for a superb purchase from a (still to this day) quite satisfied customer here.
On return, changed oil while hot, lubed/adjusted chain, coupla other very minor maintenance tasks.

·
Super Moderator
14,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
task completed this morning, my 4 now compliant to all NY State legal requirements, good through next year riding season!

·
Super Moderator
14,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
40+ North Shore miles done on the 800 in cool temps (65F) this morning, running spectacular while comfy. I'm amazed the positioning changes and completed maintenance tasks have created it into a totally different bike.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
I don't know how you can deal with having four viable motorcycles. If that were me, whenever I felt like riding I'd probably just walk slow circles around all four, and never decide which one to ride.
So there you go, a rare glimpse into my psyche 😁

·
Super Moderator
14,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)
My past health history taken into account...I am very fortunate being in a position to making such a choice.....I do admit its rough at times....1 gets a key and 3 inevitably sit. Many considerations include: time of year/temps, my mood, destination and routes, last use on each bike....the VFR is cool weather and highway only, the light little 650 specially suited for my local, twisty harbor route, the Ducati's can do any and all.
All 4 are absolute keepers, I've worked hard all my life and earned them. To think back to my condition in 2017 and 2018....wow.

A perfect time to add, I give back nowadays, in the form of donations to very worthy causes. Always ongoing, '20 to this point include:

St Jude Children's Hospital
Wounded Warrior Project
Paralyzed Veterans of America
Special Olympics of New York
The USO
Alzheimers Association
VFW
Boys Town
US Deputy Sheriffs Association
local Fire Department

The carb enterprise is not just limited to me, me, me. Urge others to do same (if at all able)

·
Super Moderator
14,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
local ride today, Long Beach, Smithtown NY
ss1020-3.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Mostly twisty 60-70 miles this morning, wind blown leaves in the air and on backroads......a warning the change to colder fall weather upon us v soon. Getting in the last of riding in reasonable temps before the inevitable.
The impressive, friendly little CBR650 obedient to every command, though I can't fully trust the "meh" OEM Dunlop tires. Very much look forward to upgrade. I believe Metzeler 7RR gonna be the ones, safe prediction they'll be a major game changer.

·
Super Moderator
14,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
82 miles this morning, mainly twisty, slow back roads. The SS800 running impeccably, on/off throttle transitions tamed, smoothed via recent FI throttle body synch and associated air bleed screw tweaks. Best its ever run under my ownership. 6500 miles on it now.

I'm learning FI, researching and applying. The Italian FI different, certainly NOT a Honda

8001020.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
A couple of weeks since I last used it, I chose the little 650 Honda today, Just over a year of ownership, 3200 miles on the clock. Consistent, reliable, dependable....typical Honda, faultless, zero issues, thus no need to mess with any settings whatsoever. In contrast the Ducati 800 at 6000 mile, requiring some minor FI/throttle body service tweaks.
Its all good....understandably different natured machines with differing attributes and requirements. In either case...no complaints.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts