Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

21 - 40 of 48771 Posts

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
Nick D said:
The way I see it, it's like we're a bunch of employees, and the moderators have to be foreman. Sure, they want to hang out and just BS, too, but they have a job to do.
yeah but this isnt a business. im not getting paid to post here. well not directly anyway :p

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
IMO dont subscribe to it, and let it run its course. if people want to read it, they will, and if they dont, then it will fall down the ranks quickly.

·
Administrator
25,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
dragknee said:
i mean for gods sake, its IN off topic. what else do you want?
and that's fine, because it happens to be about something OTHER than motorcycling. You can post topics in there that pertain to anything else BUT motorcycling. it's for whatever you want to talk about. World Hunger, A bad box of Cheerios you had, maybe the latest in bondage or maybe about how much winter sucks hairy balls... i don't care! As long as the discussion remains about what the original topic starter wanted to discuss. It's a courtesy for them. It's when the discussion turns into a chat room that's the problem. i'm seeing that a lot by a handful of members. if they want a chat room, then VIOLA, there's the post whore thread. jib jab away. no line of thought to follow, no moderator to tell you to stay on topic... just type your minds away.

·
Administrator
25,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
i was talkin to you when your old man took a digger lucky.  he must be doing better if you're keeping the bike. don't think for a minute that i don't give a sh*t about anyone on this forum.

·
Administrator
25,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
dude,m all i said is that...

alright, here's what's going on.

Lucky, you and Gray want a Wiki because you don't like repetitive topics. alright, so we create a wiki with everything in it that could possibly fill it. what happens to the forum? someone posts a question that can be found in the wiki. what do you say? "Use the wiki?" yeah, it's shorter than "Use the search button" but you're still responding to a question that's asked a hundred times the same way you would have answered it had there been no wiki at all. then after answering 100 more questions with the same damn reply, we're still no where with a wiki. then basically that gets turned into a forum (Discuss a wiki entry) where people go back and forth with banter about SOMETHING.

it gets us no where lucky. a wiki would just be another FAQ section, which is just as frivolous here and now and it probably wouldn't be updated very oten, if at all. I'm not sure if you remember the days of EX500Riders.com or not, but there was a wiki there too. look how well that went over. it was basically a depository for how to's and specifications. i can't image it'd be much better here.

·
Administrator
25,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
what if someone posted a question in the off topic forum, three people were responding to it, one person says something about someone's avatar or signature, or location, those two people start jib jabbering with maybe one other joining in, and the op just kinda gets dumped to the wayside with maybe a useful reply here and there.

i know as a original poster, i wouldn't stick around to dig through it all and i'd unsubscribe from the thread.

what would you do then?

·
Administrator
25,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
ShadesOfGray said:
If a valid question has been asked, and it hasn't been pretty exhaustively answered before people go off topic, then the original poster has been wronged. If it's a simple question with a single answer, then it's no big deal if people go off topic afterwards, in my opinion.
Then you and i disagree. every question ends in a single answer. getting there is sometimes a struggle. i'd like there to be some kind of linear dialog so that thoughts processes can be gathered. it seems all it takes is one "tard" to say something about someone else that blows a whole discussion wide open and if it gets back on track, no one knows where the answer was. don't you find that REALLY ANNOYING?

·
Administrator
25,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
ShadesOfGray said:
I don't think a wiki would kill the forum. And if the forum only exists for us to exchange information and educate ourselves, then a good wiki would serve the same purpose.
right, so why spend money on SQL calls for a forum if the wiki cuts back on cost? i see no reason to keep a forum up if it's just going to be, "Use the Wiki" or "Did you search the wiki" every other post. 250.org has a good wiki with a good administrator. someone keeps up with that pretty regular. i honestly don't think that would happen here.

·
Administrator
25,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
i think it's going to be just fine. if it ends up another ex500riders, then it ends up another ex500riders. i'd be a shame to loose such a great place, but i can't cry over spilled milk.

but i did enjoy the music. that was really catchy.

·
Administrator
25,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Lucky#13 said:
ya know , you're not the captain of the ship ..... so there would be no shame if you dont go down with it .
god damn right. but this is the USS Titanic. we build **** right. when we hit a iceburg, it better be laden with nukes if it's going to take us down (what can i say, i'm a believer)! hahaha!

*handshake*

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
All I can say is wow , I went to see a movie and came back and decided to see what was happening here and it was 2 pages now . I enjoy the forum here ,I like all the good stuff that gets talked about ,and even the crazy off topic stuff , it's nice to find out a little more about other people from where ever they are ,and see other peoples opinions even if I don't agree and most are happy to tell you why it is theirs. If people only wanted tech. answers they would buy the manuals and this site would not exist ,what would be the point?

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I'm starting to think my question has'nt been answered and now I'm all hurt or what ever , y'all think we can stay on subject ,haaaaaaaaaaa ;D

it gets really annoying. what do you do with threads like that? Let them go? then no one would read them, or even bother to come back to them. i know i wouldn't. i've unsubscribed to many threads around forums that I MADE that get out of hand.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I like the forum the way it is. Noobs should be able to come in and ask a question. If noone wants to respond they will find out how to use the search button (or wiki, or faq). If someone wants to respond, that's their typing.

I see the forum as a hang out. You come in, maybe ask about something. Some things have a manual, point to where the manual is. Other things don't, or have changed, so you ask around the table. Sometimes the conversation is about bikes, sometimes it will stray.

We all started out as noobs, and now we are all at mixed levels of experience, and half the point of the forum is to help other noobs or those with less experience. The other half should be to visit, arrange rides, share experiences, pics and such.

Maybe I'm way off my rocker and don't know anything about forum etiquette, but this place has proven very beneficial to me this way. I regret I don't have time to take pics and share more of my (mostly maintainence) experiences, but will work on it.

I like everybody here, FOG, MST, SoG, Lucky, tommy and our beloved mod KS. Not just us, but the whole forum misses out when people don't want to be involved, whether their involvement involves moderating, sharing info, or just the occasional post whore post, it's all a valued contribution.

So a BIG thanks to those that make ex-500 available, and thanks to everyone that is here, and makes it what it is. It just is what it is, so sit back and enjoy.

21 - 40 of 48771 Posts