Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it happened..a mini van turned left in front of me causing me to collide w/ it. Unfortunately, I don't remember anything from the day of the accident March 1st until March 16th. My bike (97 EX-500) was totaled, and my body was almost totaled I've been told. Front tire was pushed up under were the lower fairing used to reside. What's funny is they said that I was combative and throwing blows at the paramedics at the scene...go figure. I was in an induced coma for 8 days, stopped breathing twice, the second time I crashed and was placed onto a ventilator to assist breathing. The were suspecting that I would have to learn to talk, swallow and be in a wheel chair for 4 months and then months of therapy to get walking right again. Well, I've been home since April 12th, out of the wheel chair since May 5th, and currently using a cane to assist me walking, although I am currently taking therapy 3 days a week for 6 weeks, which I have only a handful of weeks left! They said that for some reason my bones wear healing abnormally fast...I wish my brain was doing the same. Things are still slow and I cannot drive yet, probably another 2 months hopefully less. I'm just glad to be alive still...and if my Mother wasn't still alive I would be getting another bike, but I promised her she would not have to look at her son's body completely black & blue again! If it weren't for the helmet & being fully geared which I always wore, the surgeon said I would have been killed on impact...pretty scary thought really...if I even remembered the accident..heh

I'm the proud new owner of:
1 plate 6 pins in my left hand
2 plates 6 pins in my right hand
1 7in. plate on my right Ulna bone
1 titanium rod from my right shoulder to elbow
1 titanium rod from my left knee to my hip (Femur had a 1.5in. break)
a 7in scar above my right knee cap, from what who knows
dislocated left jaw bone, broke right jaw bone (wired shut for 5 weeks)
nice big bruise on my brain (which is the slowest to heal..jeesh)

Soooo...I am putting the gear, tools & assesors in the for sale section. So go check it out if your interested.

Remember...ALWAYS WEAR YOUR HELMET & GEAR!

Peace,

Pulpz

·
Registered
722 Posts
wowza sorry to here that glad you recovered. also glad you are doing better than the doctors hoped, but don't push yourself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
trying not to push myself, but it's frustrating just sitting around. Had to go back to work, at least I went back part-time...3 tens instead of 4 tens..heh

peace,

Pulpz

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Hey pulpz,sorry to hear about your crash.Hope you make a full recovery.What kind of helmet were you wearing?How fast at impact?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was going approx. 45mph as that was the posted speed limit. I was wearing an HJC CL-SP MC2.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Did the helmet fail? I thought that a full face helmet was supposed to protect against the type of facial injuries you describe.Don't mean to make you re-live what's got to be a terrible memory,but it might help the rest of us survive a crash.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it did protect my face and head for the most part. Truthfully though I only saw my helmet like 20 days after the accident. It looked like it was held in someones hand while driving and hung out the car door and dragged and then hit real hard in the same area that the drag type marks wear at.

From what I'm told it was my brain hitting against my skull that caused that injury. The broken jaw...not too sure how that happened as the helmet did not appear to be shifted in any direction.

As far as re-living the memory goes, I have no recollection of the accident whatsoever.

My 1st memory was march 16th, I had to pee and didn't know I had a cath'r in, I had know idea I was hurt or were I was, I managed to get out of the bed and when I took a step my left leg said "NO" and I fell...what a 1st memory huh! lol

peace,

Pulpz

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Pulpz,

Glad you're making it through. Your respect for your Mom's needs is admirable.

How is the medical expense being covered: Van driver's insurance or your own health care, both or?

It'd be worthwhile to see what the costs are for the surgery, hospital, therapy, lost work & all.
People who aren't insured dump such expense on the community.
Wonder if the "Squid" defenders are reading any of this, and what their thoughts reactions are?

·
Registered
440 Posts
All the best on your recovery and you are absolutely making the right (and probably difficult) decision to stay off a bike for your mother's sake. Family always comes first and nothing is worth having her terrified every day.

BTW that's a nice collection of aftermarket parts you've got for yourself. ;)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Yikes Pulpz, I am terribly sorry to hear that story... and I am glad you are making your way to recovery.

Hang in there, don't push yourself, humor is one of the best medecine that I know of ;)

I guess you are taking the expression 'Iron man' to a whole new level ;D

Take good care of yourself and your loved ones.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the largest bill that I have recieved was the one for John C Lincoln hospital....total is $236,000, there are many other bills rehab hospital, and so many surgeons/doctors..I often wonder what it was they actually did! Here's the great thing, my insurance for work actually kicked in the day of the accident. And since I declined getting paid for the time I was away from work I was able to get approved for AHHCS, er state of AZ health insurance for 4 months, so that will help cover what my work insurance doesn't.

BTW, thank you to everyone for their thoughts, it means a lot.

Peace,

Pulpz

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hey, pulpz, glad you're recovering soon. Keep that positive spirit and optimism. BTW, anytime you get a chance, post the picture of your totalled bike (that way people can tell which part is still intact or good sothat they can buy it from you.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts