Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about ordering all new plastic for my bike... Has anyone bought from this site?: http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/kawiz/EX5001987-93.htm
If so, How tough is fitting / creating mounts / prepping for paint? I'm probably not looking for pre-painted, as it's a lot more money, and I would love to paint my '89 in Candy Plasma Blue. (The er6-f I rode in Germany was Candy Plasma)
Also, if anyone could look at this ebay item (250229295379) and tell me what they think of the seller's store stating that it should fit all ex500s. Doesn't look like it? Anyone know?

Thanks again Everybody!!!!
~K~

·
Registered
634 Posts
air tech stuff is fiberglass which usually comes a little ruougher than plastic minor imperfections and wavyness ive not had any experience with the site or theyre parts thats just in general from what ive seen in the trade prep is like anything else some 400 grit then prime then 600 for paint

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's about what I am hoping for... Also hoping the fitment is ok. So still if anyone has experience with Airtech, lemme know... Thanks Jak!
Dubcity said:
post when if get em
Willdo.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
they should be fine ,lots of racers use the uppers without the headlight opening ,so fitment should be easy enough.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm having trouble with my computer, so forgive me if this post shows up twice. I just received the upper competition fairing, the lower fairing, and the supersport tail section from Air-tech, and they were all very good quality, and fit my 2006 EX500 well. You do have to drill all the holes, but that was pretty easy (just either use a Dremel or tape to prevent chipping while drilling). Plus, the guys from Air-tech were really good to deal with on the phone. Hope this helps.

Gary

·
Registered
87 Posts
do you have to cut a hole on the race tail so you taillight will be visible? i was thinking bout getting the tail but i dont want to get in over my head ;D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a ton gwatt! I like the pics, and it doesn't sound like there's much trimming other than drilling mounting holes, right? Paint prep should be easy enough. Does the tail section go *OVER* the existing? Their site made it sound like it did... If so, I'm wondering if cutting the tail light opening would make it look a bit ghetto-fied? What's your opinion since you have it?

And yeah, Alex, their site says to cut an opening for the light...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Alexp08 said:
do you have to cut a hole on the race tail so you taillight will be visible? i was thinking bout getting the tail but i dont want to get in over my head ;D
If you know how to operate sandpaper, a dremel, and a drill then you won't be over your head.

G

·
The question I have is ,Are there tabs for mounting the headlight assembly.The tabs would be where you screw the bolts in
to hold it in place.Since you have the race version, the tabs wouldn't be necessary.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Airtech race tail doesn't have any tabs for mounting the tail light. The tail section is just like their website says. You slide the seat in the piece, and then put the seat on the bike normally. The tail does come with the spot marked for the key hole so you can get the seat on and off. I used a dremel to cut out the hole. Also, the tail section does come with a spot where it looks like you could easily cut out the tail light ( I wish it came smooth, because it would look better on my track bike).
I didn't have to trim the tail section at all, however, I think that I might sand down the edges more where it rubs against the seat so that the fiberglass won't end up cutting into the seat over time.
Nothing was really difficult to install. The most time consuming was mounting the windscreen in the front fairing. I taped it in place, and then drilled pilot holes. The time consuming part was getting it to line up where I wanted it.
The pieces look like they have a gelcoat on them, so they are already pretty smooth. I plan on wet sanding them with 1000 grit and filling any imperfections, then paint. Once I get the bike painted, I will try to post some photos.

·
Moderating: Fair & Just
7,141 Posts
^ Click the link in post #1 and scroll to the bottom of the page.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts