Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to lubricate my cables, but my Clymer manual only provides the following wisdom:

Disconnect the clutch and choke cables from the left-hand side handlebar. Disconnect the throttle cables from the throttle grip. There is also a note that indicates "on the throttle cable its necessary to remove the screws that clamp the housing together to gain access to the cable ends."

Well, duh! For someone who hasn't done it, or watched someone else do it, these instructions are not much help. I started backing out the locknut and adjuster on the clutch, but had trouble completely removing the adjuster--it also looked like doing so chewed up the aluminum threads a bit at the end. Is there an easy way to get the cables off to facilitate lubrication? I searched the forum but could not find a how-to on this subject. Admittedly, its not rocket science, but if there are any tricks to make the job easier, please share your experience.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Screw the tension adjusters in at the handle for the clutch--there should also be one out of the transmission. I've yet to do anything to it on my Ninja because it's been trouble-free; I can't imagine it being any different than the many, many, many CB's I've worked on. You can take the slack out of the throttle cables at the carbs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK. I've screwed in the adjuster on the clutch lever assembly, and loosened the nuts at the clutch, but still can't figure out how to remove the cable from the clutch lever. ??? I understand the idea of slack making removal easier, but how do you get at the little bar at the end of the cable that connects the wire to the clutch lever?? Oh, my kingdom for a picture! :-[

I'm assuming that lining up the slots in the adjuster and the locknut with the cable is necessary, but can't quite divine how coax the cable out. More details would be appreciated.

Anyone???

Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Despite my previous desperate post, I have endeavored to persevere, and in the face of certain defeat have prevailed! OK, maybe too much drama. You know when you finally see how something works, and you say, dam#, are you stupid or what. Well I had one of those moments a few minutes ago.

Fidopunk was right there is no trick. Up to the point of success I had neglected to pull out the metal sleeve that fits into the adjuster nut. Don't know why, just didn't. Once the sleeve is removed from the adjuster, and the slots are lined up, the cable comes right out.

Wrenching is a learning process where the erstwhile mechanic is presented with frequently barked knuckles in exchange for moments of insight.

·
Registered
267 Posts
See, I didn't lie to you... there's no trick. Good stuff. Just like a bicycle.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
are you looking for a brand here, or just "cable-specific lube" versus WD40 or something?

I try to always go with a product specifically for the application (i.e. motorcycle oil (not car oil), fork oil (not engine oild), cable lube (not chain lube...) and so on.

I expect all brands are relatively equal for cables... it's not a high-friction part to begin with.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
You can use any cheap engine oil. I used like, 30 weight out of an old oil can. If you have some left over 10w40 it would work perfectly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ok sorry for another dumb question but you can just remove the cable (seems easy enough) and than your spray the lube down inside of the cable? will it work from one end to the other? or half way though assuming you are spraying both ends?

·
Super Moderator
15,477 Posts
remove clutch or throttle cable from top only....

you could buy a cable luber (uses the spray nozzle tube supplied with many commercial lubes such as wd40) you spray from top until lube slops out of the bottom of cable, assuring you got the whole thing.
go to your local MC shop and ask for cable luber

OR

the old fashioned drip method hold cableup vertical and drip into inner cable (it'll suck the lube right in)

reattach----DONE. 8)

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
ducatiman said:

you could buy a cable luber (uses the spray nozzle tube supplied with many commercial lubes such as wd40) you spray from top until lube slops out of the bottom of cable, assuring you got the whole thing.

OR

the old fashioned drip method hold cableup vertical and drip into inner cable (it'll suck the lube right in)

reattach----DONE. 8)
wd 40 will not hold up as a lube ,it goes away quickly ,chain lube would be better than the wd stuff.

G

·
Tommy69 said:
ducatiman said:

OR

reattach----DONE. 8)
wd 40 will not hold up as a lube ,it goes away quickly ,chain lube would be better than the wd stuff.
I think he was just talking about the red straws that it comes with.

I use Maxima Chain Wax / Cable Lube

1 - 17 of 17 Posts