Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old man wanted me to pick up a throttle rocker for him because he saw one on a friend's Harley and thought it would be nice for his CB550. So, looking for any excuse to ride out to the Iron Pony (www.ironpony.com), I gladly agreed. I got the sucker and thought, "what a dumb cruiser modification; this is jakey," and went about my way. However, when I got to the parking lot I thought, "well, it's only packaged in a little baggy, why not put it on, try it out, and get a laugh?" I made it all of 40 feet before I determined that it is the greatest invention since sliced bread.
I don't know if it comes from improper riding position or not, but my right arm gets hella tense after riding for a while-- but I've all ready put about 70 miles on it today, and I'm in love with the thing. I know some of you guys put the risers on your bars to counteract stiffness and such, and I'm know it gets you into a more upright position, but if you want the stock set up, this little fella might help you out.
These things have been around a while, but I was surprised to not really find any information about them on this site, so I just thought I'd bring it to anyone's attention that could possibly be interested in it (and might be experiencing the same problem as me)
Thanks for listening to me ramble.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
:)

i was just up there a bit ago too... one of my good friends works there in the back.

i think his R6 race bike was still sitting out on the floor :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got mixed feelings about that place... regardless, it's supposedly the largest after-market motorcycle parts store in the world, so... they've got a ton of stuff.
I love all the employee bikes they've got on display/storage in the store during the winter months.
When I was there today, someone who works there's SV650 was out front... man, that's a good looking bike.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
yeah you can get a lot of stuff cheaper online... although if they are just a few bucks more expensive, ill usually just go there and get it so i dont have to wait :)

its also good for trying things on and seeing how they fit if you want to ultimately order them online.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree... I tried on both of my jackets and one of my helmets there and then I got them from the Internet significantly cheaper.

When I had them mount the tubes and tires in my 360, they tightened down the valve stem nuts before they got the tires mounted. The end result was me blowing out my rear tube shortly thereafter. I took the wheel back to them and they said, "well, unless you buy a new tire, we're not going to put a new tube in it." I thought that was unreal. I had Motorsports of Columbus replace it. Their mount and balance was more expensive, but they let me hang out with them in the shop while they did it so I could watch.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
they mounted a tire backwards once for me, even after i filled out the form saying that the disc is on the left... ::)

but they fixed it with no complaints.

thats cool motorsports let you hang out in there.

was that on your honda?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Pony once sold me an oversize tire for one of my other Hondas that they swore would fit, and it didn't... they changed it out at their cost too.
Yeah, it was on my 360... I don't know too many people (or any) would agree with me, but I'd just as soon have one CB360 as two or three 500R's. It's a hell of a bike.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Your red MGB pic is pretty sharp.
Wonder if Ford based the front end of departed "New Thunderbird" on it?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, I appreciate it. It's actually a burnt orange, though... it doesn't photograph well. Try these on for size, it's about the best I can find:

I don't know about the Thunderbird... I'm guessing they based that off of an earlier Thunderbird (and they did).
However, Mazda has admitted the Miata was largely based off of the MGB and the Triumph Spitfire (contrary to FOG's claim of it being born of the Lotus). Really though, it was based off all the small '60's and '70's European sports cars.

But back to the subject at hand... I went out for another ride this evening, I'm totally in love with the throttle rocker, it really has taken a lot of stress off my right hand. I know you're supposed to have a relaxed grip on the bars-- this has really helped out.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
How does it attach to the throttle?

Wrap around velcro?
Is it tight enough that just friction holds it?
Seems like it would have to be adjustable.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There's two different companies that make them (AFAIK)... the one I bought (Throttle Rocker brand) is held on by wrap-around Velcro and comes with a rubber o-ring type deal (that I didn't use) to give you some more friction or in case your grip is too small a diameter, I guess. As it is, it is held on quite tight. You can't just take it and slide it around or anything; it doesn't seem to move easily. So what I'm saying is the Ninja's stock grip has enough friction on it to really keep this fella in place without anything else. You can easily put a decent amount of force on it with no problem. The weak link in the system (either the rocker sliding around on the grip or the throttle actually moving) is the throttle linkage-- it definitely does the prescribed job. Rarely do I ever find a product that lives up to its intended purpose.
The one thing I don't like about it is something other people might like-- it's easily removable due to the Velcro system. Meaning... you can adjust it easily and change it out bike-to-bike. Unfortunately, this means it can be readily stolen. However, the chances for that might not be that great-- I've been to enough "bike nights" and such and seen people just leave their helmets sitting on their seats to know that if people are comfortable leaving $300+ helmets sitting out, I doubt there's very many thieves stealing $10 Throttle Rockers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I was actually looking at these a while back, but never got around to asking about them. If im not in any heavy traffic im usually one-handing it, and after 20+ miles my right hand starts to feel like i went to town on it with a hammer. Now that you've said it works so well i might go snag one before i ride to st louis and back. Has to beat pulling the clutch in and cracking your knuckles on the tank ;)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Got one last week.Mounted it as far to the outside of the grip as it would go.After fiddling with the position a bit,I can still grip the grip (grab the grip?)normally,and on the interstate just rest my palm on it and maintain speed.For 12 bucks it's worth a try.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Aren't these things just throttle locks? I would think on a torqueless wonder like an EX they would be more of a PIA than a help. I tried to use a throttle lock on my VFR and it was useless as the bikes speed was always changing with even slight terrain changes that I was always either getting run over or running over somebody. I threw it in the trash after the first trip to work.

FOG

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Na, they're not throttle locks, they act as a lever that you rest against your wrist so that you don't have to have a constant grip on the throttle to keep it open.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Good Lord that even sounds worse. A stick stuck to my throttle, to get in my way.

FOG

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Get in the way of what?
It's supposed to be adjusted to be parallel to your wrist at all times.
I don't find it cumbersome in the slightest-- A few million people must concur-- the company's been in business for a while.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ydant said:
I'm inclined to agree with FOG on this one - that just looks like it would get in the way and annoy me.
Don't knock it 'till you tried it... that's kinda how I opened this post up. I thought it was dumb 'till I actually used it.

I mean, the thing goes underneath your palm, there's no place for it to go to actually get in your way unless you're on the bike trying to write a paper or do the Macarena or something.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts