Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2009 EX500
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me first say, this bike is amazing and I would 1000000% recommend the Ninja 500 to any new rider. I'm a little unsure on what I should do, however. This isn't the typical "wahh I wanna go faster" type of statement, but I need a bike that still has pep at 80-90 MPH, as the interstate I ride has a speed limit of 75 MPH..What would you guys recommend be a good step up? I'm nervous because It's the "devil you know, vs the devil you don't" argument. My bike has almost 7,000 miles, 3k I put on myself. The bike only had 3,500 when I got it, so I wasn't worried some jackass was redlining everywhere, or dropped (until I first dropped it :) but I had fender protectors, so no real damage).

My question: What bike would you guys recommend would be "relatively" the same quality as the 500? Would I be able to straight up trade for a bigger bike, or would cash need to be involved? The Kawi dealer around me doesn't even work on motorcycles, and Suzuki dealer were kind of mean.. lol only joking.. kind of.. I love riding, I just want a bike that still has "pep" at 80-90

and wish I had a riding buddy (if you live in the KC area, let me know!)

·
Tanker Clown
8,753 Posts
What kind of riding do you intend to do? Answer that and you can narrow your search to a handful of newer bikes.

The main problem with the EX is exactly as you point out. After a certain point no one works on them anymore. Not an issue if you find a good independent shop….but those are getting thinner and thinner to find.

In my own experience I stepped up from a 250 to a 750 so it’s not the size of the jump….it’s the restraint in the right wrist.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
A bit of a conundrum you pose my friend.
This isn't the typical "wahh I wanna go faster" type of statement, but I need a bike that still has pep at 80-90 MPH,
so you want a bigger bike that goes faster, the world is your oyster there in one statement.
the difficult bit is choice, the main part is dealers are in business to make money or there is no point being in business.
it is unlikely they would straight swap a 500 for something bigger unless you went a lot older and even then anything they sell will be top price and anything they buy will be bottom price.
also the EX is old technology so easy to work on and put right, anything newer will be more complicated to fix and the older the bike the more chance it will need fixing. there is the conundrum.
my honest opinion go Honda for reliability perhaps a CBR, VFR or smaller Fireblade don't go too big all at once work it up over a few years worth of experience stick to something like 600 or perhaps a 750 will do what you want for now without being a money pit or death trap.

Reactions: connormay

·
Registered
2009 EX500
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What kind of riding do you intend to do? Answer that and you can narrow your search to a handful of newer bikes.
The main problem with the EX is exactly as you point out. After a certain point no one works on them anymore. Not an issue if you find a good independent shop….but those are getting thinner and thinner to find.
In my own experience I stepped up from a 250 to a 750 so it’s not the size of the jump….it’s the restraint in the right wrist.
Exactly, control is the name of the game. I don't want 1000 CC, I don't need that. I just want to be able to accelerate if I need to, I'm not tryna split cars at 160. I just feel like it's...lacking. I'm glad I had this as my first bike, she's very forgiving :)

·
Registered
2009 EX500
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A bit of a conundrum you pose my friend. so you want a bigger bike that goes faster, the world is your oyster there in one statement.
the difficult bit is choice, the main part is dealers are in business to make money or there is no point being in business.
it is unlikely they would straight swap a 500 for something bigger unless you went a lot older and even then anything they sell will be top price and anything they buy will be bottom price.
also the EX is old technology so easy to work on and put right, anything newer will be more complicated to fix and the older the bike the more chance it will need fixing. there is the conundrum.
my honest opinion go Honda for reliability perhaps a CBR, VFR or smaller Fireblade don't go too big all at once work it up over a few years worth of experience stick to something like 600 or perhaps a 750 will do what you want for now without being a money pit or death trap.
I was thinking Honda, as those are reliable as well.. I feel like a CBR 600 would be plenty, but then you bring up a good point about fixing them.. Electronics tend to muddy the water. And yeah, wishful thinking I know.. Good luck trading a 500 to a 600 without giving them cash, or getting something 15 years older lol. I wish I knew bigger bikes had "power modes" as that would be perfect, you can step up the power when you're ready and accustomed to that particular bike.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
my only advice don't be too ambitious. many moons ago I had the chance of getting hold of a Kawasaki KR1s thought that's a step up, bit bigger and a 2 stroke, now I had read reports they were not easy to ride but hey it's only a 250 how hard can it be. understatement of the century that was. short story I sold it after 6 weeks before it killed me.

·
Registered
2009 EX500
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my only advice don't be too ambitious. many moons ago I had the chance of getting hold of a Kawasaki KR1s thought that's a step up, bit bigger and a 2 stroke, now I had read reports they were not easy to ride but hey it's only a 250 how hard can it be. understatement of the century that was. short story I sold it after 6 weeks before it killed me.
Definitely, I didn't want to get something I was going to kill myself on. After 3k miles, I am much more confident in my abilities, I love riding my motorcycle (which I guess is why we're all here :)) and I feel like I'm ready and I trust myself... But like I said, I'm not looking for 1000CC RR.. I don't see a need to daily that.. Unless it had the power mode settings I was referring to.

·
Registered
2009 EX500
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How about a Concours? seems a natural "upgrade" for you? ..and they sell for reasonable prices.
I'd be intrigued to test ride it. It would be nice to have storage and an sporty bike. Looks cool, too. Thanks for the suggestion, I'm worried about trading my baby for some guys bike he didn't care for.. But that's the game we play, I guess.

·
Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,256 Posts
suggest to consider overall curb weight

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
yeah it wasn't the bikes fault but mine I was warned, I had been riding a Yamaha 200 twin and could basically hammer that everywhere without issue loved the power band so much. but the extra 30hp made so much difference it was dangerous (well for me anyways).
just a thought one of the members upgraded to a Zephyr 550/4 a while back and seemed happy with the bikes difference from the EX may be worth looking at something similar.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
ooo bike hunting is the best. what do you think about fz6r? i see one on kansas city craigslist at the moment. slightly bigger engine, still pretty upright seating position, way newer so less maintenance for you. but i mean, there's so many bikes to consider, it's nearly endless. do you have more criteria than just being similar to our 500s?

of course the natural forum progression is to get a vfr

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got a few bikes under my belt and got a few words of wisdom for you. Ill keep it short.
Intro I am an avid rider with about 120k miles under my belt at this point, currently my rides are 2016 F800GS, 2021GPX TSE 250R , 2010 KLX 250S and off course Ninja 500. I have also owned 2 Ducatis, 3 Aprilias another BMW and so on.

1. Whatever you decide to get make it a twin or a triple and not an inline 4. My first bike was a Ninja500 and 10 bikes later I still have it and ride it often. Coming off of a twin to i-4 is not a step up. My first inline 4 was a Triumph speed 4 and I hated it. Sold it the next riding season. Its more work shifting and insurance will crush you if you go 600-750 super sport way. Also riding position will kill you it is way more demanding. If you absolutely insist on a 600 or other inline 4 make sure you get a standard bike ie Hornet, FZ7,FZ6, Bandit , ZRX or something along those lines, you get the picture. Standard or naked bike is the way to go. One of the best bikes I owned was 2004 r1150R. That bike I put 50k miles on. To include a couple thousand miles on gravel roads, absolute beast of a bike and really a good bargain.

2. Bigger bike will not make you any faster. I remember my step up bike was 2004 Ducati Monster 800ie. You should have seen my face when I realized I was slower in my favorite twisty road on the Duc than on board my 99 Ninja 500. Its a fact, bigger bikes are more difficult to stay fast on. So just be ready for it. Tracking my ninja here and there I pass people on 600 at times and on board my GSXR600 id keep up with my friends on 1000cc bikes and I crashed a lot less (once, a low side) than anyone in our group.

Obviously this is just my advice so take it for what's it worth to you.

·
Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,256 Posts
Is OP considering new or used? A link to the newer Honda oriented 4 cyl 650's....the OP bought brand new and after reading, I caught the itch and did the same, (though the R model) Surely worth the read.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'd be intrigued to test ride it. It would be nice to have storage and an sporty bike. Looks cool, too. Thanks for the suggestion, I'm worried about trading my baby for some guys bike he didn't care for.. But that's the game we play, I guess.
Oh, I'm not sure I would trade. I would keep the 500 until you've bonded with a new one. It's more work and $ in the air to sell a bike after buying a new one but there's fewer regrets. You seem serious about liking the bike you're riding and it'd be awful to " 'wish I hadn't done it! ". especially so when buying used...

I've never had a Connie but they seem ok from people that have (excepting fairing removal when needed-that seems a pest that I've witnessed) ... a bit more mass is not a bad thing on the freak-way to go along with a bit more gumption and 1000cc is not going to be 2x500, it also has to move the extra mass and the shaft drives generally eat power too...so I'm guessing it'd just feel like a bigger more-planted Ninja...
But I'm noway recommending it-it's just that I mull them over for similar reasons as yours when I see them for sale...so it's really about me :)the Hondas ducatiman mentions are another page I like to look at...

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Thinking about it, I ride the freeway/interstate at 80mph/120kph and no problems. The bike starts to work quite a bit more at 100mph/160kph, but what else is new? I have jetted it, added a 3rd airbox snorkel, put WebCam/WebCo 245 cams and F1 slipons on it. That probably gave it 1-2HP over stock, all up high.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I recently went through the same type of issues. I went with the BMW R1300R. I like the old school style. Just look around you will find many bikes to choose from. I loved the chase and spent 3 months looking and trying different bikes until I ended up with the R. I love the change. Still enjoy the little Ninja but it will be leaving shortly for someone else to enjoy.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
So I recently went through the same type of issues. I went with the BMW R1300R. I like the old school style. Just look around you will find many bikes to choose from. I loved the chase and spent 3 months looking and trying different bikes until I ended up with the R. I love the change. Still enjoy the little Ninja but it will be leaving shortly for someone else to enjoy.
yeah the chase is always the best! that sounds like such a fun time. what else did you consider before deciding on the bmw?

·
Registered
10 Posts
At first I was looking at anything in the 7-9k range then I narrowed it down to the Ninja 650- my son has one and it’s a great bike, the SV 650, the Triumph line- Trident, speed triple, BMW RNineT , and Kawasaki 900RS. I was convinced I wanted the 900RS until I saw the R1200R and it was a real toss up for me between those two but I found a low mileage used R1200R at a price I could never find on the 900 so I went with the BMW.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts