Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

Registered
2009 EX500
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thinking about it, I ride the freeway/interstate at 80mph/120kph and no problems. The bike starts to work quite a bit more at 100mph/160kph, but what else is new? I have jetted it, added a 3rd airbox snorkel, put WebCam/WebCo 245 cams and F1 slipons on it. That probably gave it 1-2HP over stock, all up high.
Right, but you're also at 7-8 grand RPMS. I understand I can modify this bike to go slightly faster, but I want..... more. Not like. I NEED SPEED! But like. I trust myself to have a larger, and faster, motorcycle, ya know? I'm so glad I started on the 500, and would recommend it to anyone and everyone trying to learn.

Registered
2009 EX500
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Oh, I'm not sure I would trade. I would keep the 500 until you've bonded with a new one. It's more work and $ in the air to sell a bike after buying a new one but there's fewer regrets. You seem serious about liking the bike you're riding and it'd be awful to " 'wish I hadn't done it! ". especially so when buying used...

I've never had a Connie but they seem ok from people that have (excepting fairing removal when needed-that seems a pest that I've witnessed) ... a bit more mass is not a bad thing on the freak-way to go along with a bit more gumption and 1000cc is not going to be 2x500, it also has to move the extra mass and the shaft drives generally eat power too...so I'm guessing it'd just feel like a bigger more-planted Ninja...
But I'm noway recommending it-it's just that I mull them over for similar reasons as yours when I see them for sale...so it's really about me :)the Hondas ducatiman mentions are another page I like to look at...
That's my whole problem, it's like "the devil you know, vs the devil you don't" right? I bought my bike with 4k miles, I know she couldn't have been ridden THAT hard (atleast that's what I tell myself 馃檭)
Speaking from ignorance, I don't feel like I need a 1000CC BMW RR, or something. Maybe with the different power modes you could put it in, but that's a quick way to end up in jail.

Registered
2009 EX500
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Is OP considering new or used? A link to the newer Honda oriented 4 cyl 650's....the OP bought brand new and after reading, I caught the itch and did the same, (though the R model) Surely worth the read.

I honestly have thought if I do change brands, it will be Honda.. And I would be open to both, honestly. Maybe someone bought a "big bike" and sold it without ever riding it? Wishful thinking, but still definitely a thing.. I feel more comfortable going to test ride motorcycles now that I've gotten the experience on mine (obviously) so maybe I should go by some dealers and see if they won't take me out for a spin lol

Registered
2009 EX500
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I got a few bikes under my belt and got a few words of wisdom for you. Ill keep it short.
Intro I am an avid rider with about 120k miles under my belt at this point, currently my rides are 2016 F800GS, 2021GPX TSE 250R , 2010 KLX 250S and off course Ninja 500. I have also owned 2 Ducatis, 3 Aprilias another BMW and so on.

1. Whatever you decide to get make it a twin or a triple and not an inline 4. My first bike was a Ninja500 and 10 bikes later I still have it and ride it often. Coming off of a twin to i-4 is not a step up. My first inline 4 was a Triumph speed 4 and I hated it. Sold it the next riding season. Its more work shifting and insurance will crush you if you go 600-750 super sport way. Also riding position will kill you it is way more demanding. If you absolutely insist on a 600 or other inline 4 make sure you get a standard bike ie Hornet, FZ7,FZ6, Bandit , ZRX or something along those lines, you get the picture. Standard or naked bike is the way to go. One of the best bikes I owned was 2004 r1150R. That bike I put 50k miles on. To include a couple thousand miles on gravel roads, absolute beast of a bike and really a good bargain.

2. Bigger bike will not make you any faster. I remember my step up bike was 2004 Ducati Monster 800ie. You should have seen my face when I realized I was slower in my favorite twisty road on the Duc than on board my 99 Ninja 500. Its a fact, bigger bikes are more difficult to stay fast on. So just be ready for it. Tracking my ninja here and there I pass people on 600 at times and on board my GSXR600 id keep up with my friends on 1000cc bikes and I crashed a lot less (once, a low side) than anyone in our group.

Obviously this is just my advice so take it for what's it worth to you.
Thank you for taking the time to share that with me, I greatly appreciate that.. I love this forum!

1. Thank you for taking the time to type that out. I was honestly not wanting anything super sport, just something that doesn't sit at 8 grand while I'm just cruising.. And if I needed to accelerate, and also unable to really "dip" out of a sketchy situation if you're already at 90-100... I love the 500, but maaaan the wind does kinda push me I've noticed. I know, tuck and extend the knee.. and i've managed it better with more experience, but I've read that other bikes don't feel as much of the wind? (though I have not ridden any other motorcycle above, I took my MSRP on the stupid Harley Street 500 (and I am soo glad I didn't buy a harley. No offense to anyone that owns one. I'm sure not all of them are as bad as.. that) and the 500 is also pretty slow from 80-110, IMO..

2, I completely agree, that's why I decided to start on a 500. Fundamentals are something I knew I needed to ingrain when I first started getting interested about motorcycles.. And you also make an excellent point about the larger cc, heavier bike.. I love riding, and honestly hope I can ride many motorcycles. They're fun and can be a challenge.. I think my best bet is to test ride different models/brands before I make a purchase, if I'm able.. I am such an overthinker (which Is why I chose the 500 for my first bike, bulletproof and amazing) and that's why I posted here, because you all know what this bike is capable of, and I was curious what a good next step would be.

I sincerely appreciate that advice, I am so glad we have the internet/forums because without this, hearing from experienced people that share a passion is a lot more difficult, thank you.

Registered
yeah sometimes you look and look but nothing lights the fire. then other times boom it's right there in front of you.
you will know when that happens. that's how I got the VFR, passing the Honda dealership one day on my 305 I noticed a white VFR out front and thought what nice bike so I went to look. the sales guy came out and said it's not for sale yet he's just drove off on a CBR, come back in a few days when it's been prepped.
bugger that come on how much is it as it is. quickest sale you will make this year he said 2 grand as it is I'll give you 500 for the 305 in exchange. "deal" paid by card there and then. went next day to do the paperwork and rode home on it.
5 years I had that bike never let me down once I just did the maintenance when it was due and best thing was when i sold it (big mistake) I got all my money back.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts