Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no clue if they even exist, but Im looking for a visor that is tinted in sublight and clear at night. I think I saw a thin plastic "stick on" somewhere before.
I just hate wearing sunglasses & do alot of both daytime & night time riding. Any ideas on products (other than the new flip down half tinted visors from nolan)

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
What you're looking for is a photochromatic visor. As far as I know only scorpion makes them. I know this because I work in the factory that makes them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,881 Posts
Is there a reason not to use a piece of flexible plastic car-window tinting, & put it on the upper inch or 2 of the visor? I hate setting/rising sun glare, & that tint ought to help, allowing just a tilt of the head to darken down to the horizon.

I work dayshift hours & long ago decided to live East of work so the sun is behind me.
(Not related to this topic, but having a south-facing driveway in the snow belt helps a lot.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,526 Posts
At the Montreal motorcycle show I've seen a DOT approved helmet that looks just like those on fighter jets. The ones with a sliding down clear visor and another sliding smoke screen inside. Would that do the work ?

I just don't remember who was making it. But it was selling for 300$ canadian..
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I've seen laminates that you can apply the back of your clear visor that are "photo sensitive", and I believe they change tint.

What model helmet are you wearing? I use a mirrored visor on my RF-1k, and really like it for morning/evening rides.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,881 Posts
smithmax said:
I've seen laminates that you can apply the back of your clear visor that are "photo sensitive", and I believe they change tint.

What model helmet are you wearing? I use a mirrored visor on my RF-1k, and really like it for morning/evening rides.
I'm not sure which one of us you are asking. Mine is a Vega Summit II.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,314 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
Is there a reason not to use a piece of flexible plastic car-window tinting, & put it on the upper inch or 2 of the visor? I hate setting/rising sun glare, & that tint ought to help, allowing just a tilt of the head to darken down to the horizon.
i put a nice strip of black duct tape up there, and it works wonders for me :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,881 Posts
dragknee said:
MrSciTrek said:
Is there a reason not to use a piece of flexible plastic car-window tinting, & put it on the upper inch or 2 of the visor? I hate setting/rising sun glare, & that tint ought to help, allowing just a tilt of the head to darken down to the horizon.
i put a nice strip of black duct tape up there, and it works wonders for me :)
I prefer something darker that I can see through. 8)
Like the dark plastic stuff parents buy to put on car windows to keep direct sun off the kids in the baby seats. There's also strips of do-it-yourself stick-on windsheild tint (not the permanent type).

Here's an article on tinting:
http://www.tintcenter.com/articles/bt_types.html

Window tint laws for each state (helmet visors would be like sunglasses, not windows?):
http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,177 Posts
The new Nolan N-COM has a tinted flip down sun visor , and it's BlueTooth ready. I think it is the one that Frog mentioned in this topic .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Scorpion Helmets makes a visor like that.. I just picked one up for my helmet.. but haven't riden with it yet.. My main reason with getting it is.. i used to ride with a pair of sunglasses under my clear visor but didn't like the feeling the arms pressing into my head.. and carrying an extra visor was ok..
Since I go to work in the light and come home in the dark.. I sometimes would forget that second visor and that just sucked..

I'll keep everyone posted of how I like it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,177 Posts
Yeah , I've got caught out after dark with a dark visor and it freezing cold out :-[ . And you are absolutly right it SUCKS !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,314 Posts
i never had a problem riding at night with the tinted visor... but then again, 99% of my riding is in the city. i could ride w/o a headlight and still not have a problem seeing anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
I work dayshift hours & long ago decided to live East of work so the sun is behind me.
That is awesome, you chose a place to live based upon your direction of work, so the sun would be behind you. Not related at all to the question buy i found that interesting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,526 Posts
Lucky#13 said:
The new Nolan N-COM has a tinted flip down sun visor , and it's BlueTooth ready. I think it is the one that Frog mentioned in this topic .
Unfortunately nope, I have found the brand it's called Osbe and it's from Italy.

The tinted glass doesn't flip down like the nolan, it slides down, between the regular visor and the rider face..

It was tagged 300$ canadian

 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I've got a kinda stupid question regarding visors - I'm going to be ordering a new one this week, and can't decide between the mirrored coloured ones, or a smoke tinted one.

Do they both do a good job at taking care of the sun? My goal is to eliminate the need for sunglasses. How awful are these at night? Which works better, mirrored or smoke?

My helmet (HJC) looks like it would take two minutes to change visors, so I wouldn't mind changing for longer night-time trips if necessary....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,526 Posts
Depending how dark the smoke is, there are different levels depending on the manufacturer, it does the same job as a mirrored one. The difference is noticeable from the outside mostly.

As for driving at night with a tinted visor, I don't recommend that, to let you have an idea, try to wear shades at night..

I'll stick with my glasses.. I can't see without them anyways ;)
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Okay, so the only diff. between mirrored or smoke is style? I like the look of the mirrored better and would probably look better with my helmet than smoke.

I figured it'd be really dark at night, but worth asking. I'll just carry the extra visor for when I know I'll leave in the day and return at night.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,526 Posts
Royson said:
I'll just carry the extra visor for when I know I'll leave in the day and return at night.
That's the right way to do it :)
 
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Top