Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Once they are in the spigots, the hassle is getting the airbox boots on, right? Take the rear fuel tank mount off, so that the airbox has a little wiggle room. u/se a hair dryer to soften the boots and a cotter pin puller can be used to finesse the front of the boots around the carb bells. If you use one, make sure you don't poke holes in the boots.
Hand tool Tool Electric blue Cable Metal

And secondly, I just found out that I have $70 worth of cotter pin pullers in my box. o_O

Reactions: bpe

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Re-attatching my carbs are proving to be a huge pain. Does anyone have any tips?
it depends on which bit is being a pain. boots, cables. clips. fuel pipe, all can cause issues when refitting.
when removing/replacing carbs I use the minimal approach, that is to say minimal effort, after the seat and tank are off.
I drain the carbs (using the drain screws and a bit of small bore pipe),
remove the rear tank bracket (allows movement in the air box) about 1/2in.
roll back the spring retainers on the airbox boots and leave on the boots.
undo the clips on carb inlet boots very slack and push back onto the boots.
leave everything else attached to the carbs, then lean over the bike grab one carb in each hand pull back so as to disconnect them from the carb inlet boots, lift the carbs 45 degrees and pull out of the airbox boots.
once the carbs are in your hand it's easier to remove the cables ECT.
refitting is the carbs is a reversal of removing them. attach the cables pipes ECT.
lower the carbs onto the airbox boots and push in fully. while pulling back lower the carbs to align with the inlet boots then locate the carbs onto the inlet boots, push everything forwards carbs, airbox until everything is located. do up the inlet clips, roll back the spring airbox boot retainers the carbs are now back on.
one extra step here, make sure the crankcase air breather pipe is in place (moving the airbox back will dislodge it) it's the one on the btm of the airbox looks like a hockey stick. once this is back on refit the rear tank bracket.
adjust cables job done. warming the rubber inlets with a hair drier is a good tip although if they are really hard they should be replaced.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts