Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm 200 lbs and the rear end feels very squishy with under 36 psi. The tire is max load rated at 42 so I am going to try 38/40.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Usually the recommended pressure is listed on the side of the tire. I'd use that as a starting point.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
the recommended max load capacity at a certain PSI is listed on the side of the tire. For the record, what IS the Owners Manuel recommended PSI and when, COLD or HOT. i'm about certain it will say cold, but i don't have my book anymore.

Also, isn't there a sticker under the seat that gives this information? I remember some general info was there on my 04.

R

·
0 Posts
I run Conti Force radials, 35 front and 32 rear, cold. When they get hot that turns into about 36 front and rear. That gives a good ride and even wear pattern on the tire. The rear seems to increase more than the front, so I wonder what the hot pressure is when you start out with 32/36 cold. I'm guessing 33/40? That may work with the stock tires, but with the radials, the rear seemed much too hard with pressure that high.

Rich

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The tire has no idea what bike it is going on or how hvy that bike is....the tire figure is the MAX, not the recomended.

Only the engineers at Kawasaki can make that call.... so look in your manual or on the sticker, my book (Clymer's) says at
less then 215lbs load its 28/32 psi ft/rr and 215lbs + is 32/36psi

·
Registered
57 Posts
wolf66 said:
The tire has no idea what bike it is going on or how hvy that bike is....the tire figure is the MAX, not the recomended.

Only the engineers at Kawasaki can make that call.... so look in your manual or on the sticker, my book (Clymer's) says at
Isn't the weight of the bike going to affect the tire pressure?

Unless of course you are airing them up with the wheels off the bike.

At any rate, you don't want to exceed the MAX rating of the tire.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
Manson.V said:
wolf66 said:

Isn't the weight of the bike going to affect the tire pressure?
um... no? it doesn't effect it on a car or truck tire so....

·
Super Moderator
6,152 Posts
New Specs

Originally stated by
Cycle Gear
Jan. 2019

All sports bikes for street use, with any tire, pressures
Front 36psi
Rear 38psi
Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger. :surprise:

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Please take a few moments to read my piece on tires in the how too section. I believe it will enlighten you.
That’s why I wrote it.

Fog

·
Super Moderator
6,152 Posts
Originally stated by
Cycle Gear
Jan. 2019

Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger. :surprise:
I wasn't saying that I was buying in to it. :surprise:

·
Registered
621 Posts
I did 30/32 on my Ex.

I run 32/36 on my ZRX; any less and it likes to tram track.

Bear in mind I'm usually riding on extremely hot asphalt.

·
Registered
180 Posts
32/36 works well on the GPz

@jackal 36/42 works best on the ZRX

1 - 19 of 19 Posts