Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm prepping to mount my new Pilot powers and I'd like to replace the valve stems. Mine are the original so may be approaching 7 years old. I read several of the articles and didn't see mention of replacing them.

I wanted to go buy some to be ready, but I don't know about sizes. The hole in the rim looks smaller than what I remember on a car rim. Measuring looks like about 10mm. I saw a web page that called out 10mm stems but when I went to the local cycle store they said there was only one size, larger like 14mm or so. Has anyone done this before? Are there more than one size and which one do we use?

·
Registered
496 Posts
i don't know of a difference for bikes (but then again, i dont really know bikes..). there are 2 sizes for cars. theres the standard size, and the large size. the large size was common to older cars, particularly fords.

if you can, get the bolt-in kind. if installed right, they never leak. hell. you can go to wally world, and get standard valve stems for cheap. so its not a big deal if they dont fit.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Use ONLY the bolt in stems. NOTHING ELSE.
The hole diameter is 11mm. You want a 10mm stem.
If you want you could cut one off an old bicycle tube.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bitzz said:
Use ONLY the bolt in stems. NOTHING ELSE.
The hole diameter is 11mm. You want a 10mm stem.
If you want you could cut one off an old bicycle tube.
Thanks! Just curious why only only bolt in? I've not had any problem with pop in stems before for normal usage. What do racers use? Does anyone know of any aluminum bolt-in stems. I'm tying to keep the weight down for balancing , bc I hear pilots don't have a light spot.

Thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had a bud who's tires went flat when he was flying down the road because the centrifugal force layed them over, at least thats what he "claimed" happened-i don't really buy it but its what he said. He was going over 180 and i beleive him, that bike was a rocket and he was too damn stupid to own it.

Z

·
0 Posts
m-clar70 said:
I had a bud who's tires went flat when he was flying down the road because the centrifugal force layed them over, at least thats what he "claimed" happened-i don't really buy it but its what he said. He was going over 180 and i beleive him, that bike was a rocket and he was too damn stupid to own it.
He probably had those "tire fly's" on the stems. I put a pair of these tire fly's on my 11 ( I don't drive outrageously fast), and within a few days, the stems were leaned over. They were promptly removed and installed on my daughters bicycle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts