Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Never had a problem with them, but change every 3K or so. Dunno what oil pressure the thing makes - must be some as it's plain bearing.

Reactions: bpe

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
@bpe thanks for the vid very informative, must admit in all my years I never thought about cutting one open to see inside. being a one shot item that's changed with the oil it never occurred to me they were not all the same inside.
I've used Fram, K&N, Bosch, high flow, Champion, Purolator, whatever was available in the store at the time.
never had any issues with any of them, except once when a rust (pinhole) appeared in a "high flow" filter on the EX that put a pool of oil on the floor shortly after starting.

could have been a faulty one or one that got scratched in storage and rusted through so now I paint them with a coat of metal paint (Hammerite) before fitting.
oil and filter are changed yearly irrespective of mileage so I don't think it matters which filter is used. as the oil never gets that dirty on my bikes (or cars).

·
Tanker Clown
8,779 Posts
One shop where I worked was having issues with metal in the oil. (Shipped off to independent lab for testing) After some time going through service records records it turned out the units with the issues all had Fram filters installed. All the Wix and Purolator fit units did not have issues.

Keep in mind this is not one engine over the course of years but a fleet of 75-80 vehicles and equipment. Our shop manager had us pull all the Fram equipped lift trucks and tow tractors (thankfully all the cranes were fine) for new service.

One was on the main assembly line and the assembly line manager refused to let it go. We wound up doing that one last, and in fact cut that filter open. It wasn’t pretty inside and it was actually missing the little rubber disc for the by pass valve.

Of the remaining filters (we had to dig them all out of the filter bin) about half had a similar issue. Either the rubber disc was missing or the spring was broken or missing. No telling how many times that had happened over the years.

I never run a Fram on any of my personal vehicles….much less one of my bikes. This sort of thing has been going on for decades so buyer beware. Stick to a reputable brand name, even if it costs a wee bit more. Wix all the way for me. Never let me down.

On my bikes…HiFlo or K&N….or OEM. BTW, Honda filters fit EX-500s. I cannot remember the number but I’m pretty sure it was the same as a 900RR, Goldwing and something else….CBR1000F maybe….discovered in a cross reference somewhere in the days before the internet.

Bonus for me was the Honda shop in town (now defunct) always had them in stock….and they were half what Kawasaki wanted. No more week long wait and half the cash? Done.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Just sos ya know
Hi-Flo make almost all the OEM filters.

My #1 test for an oil filter: Grab the filter in your hand and try to crush it.
If you can bend the sides with your hand, oil pressure can bend it too... using oil pressure... which sorta works like a pressure relief valve.
On high revving race motors I have seen oil filters blown up like a balloon.
I prefer to use that oil pressure in the crankshaft... so I put two hose clamps on the filter to control it's expansion

·
Tanker Clown
8,779 Posts
Hi-Flo make almost all the OEM filters.
Did not know that. What I know for certain is that when we cut open those Fram filters I wrote about, the paper element inside was not at all “significant” when compared to….ANY other filter we cut open.

Those Wix filters….that element unrolled for what seemed like forever. More filtration material unrolled than what unrolled off of a toilet paper roll. Fram? Maybe 10-12 feet.

Not done this with a motorcycle filter; but just going by the weight of the filter, it’s easy to tell there is a huge difference between a Fram and…ANY other filter. An OEM Kawasaki filter is easily double + half again the weight of a Fram.

Honda OEM roughly double. Same for a Ducati, Suzuki et al. Couldn’t say about an HD filter but I imagine they’re the same way. Though I would swear I read Wix makes HD oil filters somewhere.

That difference in weight? The amount of filtration element wound around inside the filter “canister”.

Also, try squeezing the sides of any of those OEM filter. My guess is, you’re likely to be unable to find any kind of flex. The Fram you’ll likely dent with your thumb.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts