Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

When would you tell your mom or your parents you now got a bike?

• As soon as I get it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Six months to a year after I get it

• I prefer not tell her (I don't want her to worry.)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine got his bike and he was asking me if he should tell his parents now or when and what I recommend. I suggested he waits a year and tell 'em. If they freak out on him, he can simply say, "comeon, what can happen, I'm experienced. I've been riding it for a year now." LOL.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yeh dood, waiting is just asking for trouble, unless you don't live at home then just mention it in passing as soon as you see them...

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Haha ! I've worked my case for at least 6 months before getting it..

I don't want my folks to have a heart attack..

·
Registered
245 Posts
My parents found out on memorial day I had my bike. My dad kinda thought I had one, momz had no idea and my momz FLIPED out. She cursed (she never curses) told me to pack my bags and leave the house. Said she will take care of it, if she ever sees it at the house again, lol. I had the bike for almost 2 months but I had it stored at my friends house. Currently its back at my friends house. I will probably start parking it on the street near my house in like a week or so, I need to get an inspection sticker.

As far as your friend, make sure he has bike titles, insured and all that good stuff. That way, they can only trip sooo much, cause it's all in his name. He might have to find somewhere else to park it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
im with Frog on this one. i had to ease my mom into the idea WELL before i even had a chance of getting one. i got the idea into their heads by joking about it with them. once i dropped the ball, they didnt freakout, but i saw the look of absolute horror on my mom's face ;D

·
Registered
347 Posts
I told my folks a week or two before getting one. They have known for a long time that I wanted one. They still don't like it though :-[

·
Registered
47 Posts
luckily both my folks have riden for years (kawi cruisers) so me getting a bike was no prob, hell they co-signed the loan, but i had to take MSF or theyd take possession of the bike. no prob there since id take the class anyway, which i did

but he should definitely tell them, they at least deserve to know their son is doing something potentially dangerous

·
Registered
633 Posts
I brought my 1st bike ('84 cb750) to my parents house a week after I got it (I was 19 and wasn't living at home), anyway I showed my parents, and my mom jumped on it and took off, 1/2 hour later she came back with a ticket for not wearing a helmet (she didn't realize that we had a helmet law). it was actually quite comical because she jumped right on it and just took off slamming through the gears and almost scraped the pegs turning off the street.

My father was not amused at all.

I think that tomorrow I might be taking my brother to look at an old late 80's cbr for his 1st bike.

I wrecked my first bike just after I met my wife (front wheel broke off at 15 mph), and I didn't have money to buy a new one. Every year after I got married I asked my wife if I could buy a new for my birthday. Every year she said no. Then one year i asked and she said "yeh sure go ahead". That night over dinner I pulled out the keys to my ex, and told her I bought a bike and she yelled at me for buying it, my only response was that she said I could. I won that argument, but I didn't get any for a while.

·
Registered
169 Posts
haha, trick is to get the bike before you get married, it smoothes things out.

My first 500r, told my parents that is was my friends. When my friend failed to pay me back the money I fronted him to buy it, I told them it was mine. I was forced to sell it or get kicked out of the house, but we had a good run.

My current 500r, my parents found out about when I got a parking ticket at school for parking in the dorm parking lot (I actually have a parking permit for that lot, on the bike) and the appeal information got sent to my mom's email address. A red 1994 "motorcycle" as they call it isn't exactly a blue Subaru, so oh well. They've given up on keeping me from having a bike though, so it worked out.

Your friend should clue in his parents ASAP, it will become a problem if he waits. It does depend on the family though.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I would be way more permissive with someone I have confidence in and I trust (never lie is a prerequisite) than with someone I know who cannot be trusted.

Why not acquire trust instead of forcing reality on them ?

My parents always hated bikes since they are so unsafe, but I showed them there are ways to be a safe rider. To this day they don't like to see me on 2 wheels, but they have confidence I will do whatever I can to be on the safe side.

Showing my father how to do the maintenance on the ride helped too. It's like taming a wild animal or getting someone accustomed to dogs.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WOW. Thanks all for the Very Impressive posts. In a nutshell, I reckon waiting to tell is asking for trouble. Good to know.

As far as my friend's fiasco, I'll just print out this forum and give it to him.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Why put off the inevitable? Tell them the first chance you get. Whether they approve of your decision to ride or not, is entirely out of your hands. However. They will be forced to respect your honesty regarding the matter.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mulcibre said:
haha, trick is to get the bike before you get married, it smoothes things out.
hahahha ... I bought my first bike while my wife was 6 months pregnant! ;D she wasn't too thrilled, but she didn't/hasn't complained much about it ... except when it neeeeds modifications and upgrades

·
Registered
97 Posts
Definitely ease parents into the idea of a bike...

me: September 2005 - bought a helmet
October 2005 - got my license, took the course, and bought gloves
December 2005 - bought a jacket
May 1st 2006 - brought the bike home.

I gave my parents 7~8 months to adjust to the idea...

·
Registered
633 Posts
Not really a bike thing, but a little over 10 years ago my father found out I had a toung ring about 6 months after I had it put in. That same day also coincides with the very last day I lived in my parents house. Go figure

·
Registered
308 Posts
IMO frog hit the nail on the head. if your not mature enough to buck up and tell the parents you want one, that dosent show me your mature enough to ride a MC.

my parents forbid it, and i obeyed that till i got out of the house. even tho it didnt matter much i still let them know what was going on when i bought mine, and my dad even helped me get it financed.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I got M1 in March 2007
They found out I got my M1 and objected me getting a bike.
I got passed the course in April 2007
They again said no to me buying a bike...
Bought my Bike May 1st 2007
Send my parents pictures of me on my bike while riding (Friends was my blocker car the day I pick up my bike) May 2nd 2007

end of story... I guess my point is that if you can financially afford it yourself, you can do whatever you want even if parents don't like it.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Yassoon,that's cool the way you eased your folks into the idea of you riding a motorcycle.Plus you showed them that you intended to ride safely,wearing the proper gear.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts