Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think I have ever posted before, but I really think you guys have some pretty good input so I'm gonna throw this question out there. I have been riding my EX since last july...my first bike, so I'm by no means an expert in riding or giving advice, but I feel like I know a little more than I did before. I have this friend (seriously...) who, now that I ride, also wants to get into it. But in an effort to one-up both me and some of his other buddies (who are complete idiots) has decided that, after going through the MSF course next weekend and getting his license, that he wants to get an R6. Really, the guy wants to go shopping around this saturday.

It's too much bike for somebody who has never been on a bike before, right? We're not talking a returning rider who's getting back into it after 15-20 years. I mean, this guy has sat on my bike for 5 minutes...maybe got it into 2nd gear in a straight line...that's it. I tell him "dude, it's your first bike, not your last" but he doesn't want to go spend 3K this year only to have to sell it next year. I could care less about his buddies, but what do you all think I could say to convince him that a) there is nothing wrong with a 500cc bike to start off with (hell, I can blast by any cage on the road no problem) and b) he's getting in over his head with too much under the tank. Or maybe I shouldn't preach my philosophy and let him figure it out himself...hopefully with as little damage as possible. Your 2 cents is appreciated.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Did you let him know about the HUGE insurance difference?

If a person was that intent on buying a bike that they love, then they should get it...even if its an R6-alot of people do this and are still alive today. (but the vice versa is also true)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Everyone and their mother (who's not a stunna from LA or San Jose) is going to tell you that is NOT A GOOD bike for a beginner.

An ex-500 and an R6 are not different by 100cc's
In fact the only thing these two bikes have in common is their number of wheels.

I was gonna get an R6 when i first started for about an hour and a half before people slapped the bejesus out of me. Tell your friend he wants to get his FIRST bike not his LAST.

112hp is WAY too much for a beginner and its not really THAT simple. LIke i said, its not about power per se, its about throttle response, turning, control --- that bike's center of gravity is so low its not funny. The tank isn't even the tank - its an air box and the tank is way lower, so when he turns that thing is going to dip and if dude doesn't know anything about weight shifting HE WILL low side.

What city are you all in anyway?

but yeah the answer is no-don't-get-it, I don't care what anyone says.

SURE - ITS POSSIBLE
SURE - I know guys who started on gixxer 750s and didn't die
but it's also statisically and logically a retarded thing to do.

Tell your friends "chicks don't know the difference" - that'll do it ;)
And it's true .

·
Registered
184 Posts
There are some good "Why SuperSports aren't Good Beginner Bikes" posts over at Sportbikes.net. I had a friend who was in the same boat and ended up getting an SV650 after reading those posts. It's hard to explain it to someone who's never ridden before. You really can't even compare the power to anything 99% of people have ever driven. I've never heard someone say they were glad they started on a bigger bike, and around here starting on a smaller bike because you actually want to learn to ride well gets you way more respect than being the squid on the shiny new 600 who can't ride for ****.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Do people NEVER learn? They race the R6 for a reason.

Tell your friend, to pre-pay his funeral expenses, and pray to God he doesn't take anyone else with him when he goes.

Darwin's theories at work people. ::)

·
Registered
177 Posts
SoarAndEnvision said:
Tell your friends "chicks don't know the difference" - that'll do it ;)
And it's true .
That's perfect. Perfect! I wanted to sell my 500r about a month after getting it, but honestly, three different girls were like "Why? What's the difference between them." So, I stick with the 500r until I make enough to buy own two bikes or it shits out on me.

And (I stole this from someone on this forum--Mike D maybe) tell him "We ride smaller bikes because we need more room for our dicks, when theirs grow--they can stop compensating." I don't know, it sounded better when he wrote it.

Good luck

·
Registered
109 Posts
Unfortunately, this is not an issue soley for men.

Last summer, I was walking to my car, when I witnessed a woman attempting to straddle a 2004 ZX-7. If she was even close to being 5 feet tall, I'd truly be surprised. She could barely swing her leg over the saddle, and was literally on her tip toes trying to balance it. I was just waiting for the thing to tip over. I approached her and inquired, "What are you doing?". She turned to me, smiled and exclaimed "This is my bike! Ain't it cool?". "NO." I responded back. "It's not. You can't even balance the thing. You're an accident waiting to happen. What made you think this would be a good bike for you?". She got right pisssy with me. "I know what I'm doing!" she shot back. Then backed out.

Apparently, she didn't. When she preceeded to pull out of the parking lot, she crossed over THREE lanes, before being able to pull the bike back into the inside lane.

I guess us guys are the only ones with a small dick. ;D

·
Registered
199 Posts
kkrause said:
That's perfect. Perfect! I wanted to sell my 500r about a month after getting it, but honestly, three different girls were like "Why? What's the difference between them." So, I stick with the 500r until I make enough to buy own two bikes or it shits out on me.

And (I stole this from someone on this forum--Mike D maybe) tell him "We ride smaller bikes because we need more room for our dicks, when theirs grow--they can stop compensating." I don't know, it sounded better when he wrote it.

Good luck

Yeah dude SERIOUSLY - they really can't - all they see is the color and a bunch of plastic and they go "wow OmG ArEn'T yoU SCURRED ???? kletshavesex :) "
I swear there's an alternative to the famous "Two types of riders" that I always thought of "There are guys that care about impressing girls, and guys that care about impressing other guys."

I mean if you have your own reason for really wanting a super-sport then sure, I mean hell a month ago I was thinking it would be cool to get a zx-14 (ROFL) - just so I could have two bikes that haters love to hate :) -- but I think there is a lot to be said about guys who spend so much effort impressing their male friends, and there names are usally "Gary" with a silent "r".

·
Registered
78 Posts
I figure I'll offer a little first hand testimony here. I had always had a desire to own some kind of crotch rocket, but it wasn't my first bike and I'm glad. My first bike was a KZ440, which really for its size had plenty of power. I mean, even the most gutless bike is going to have more than enough power to beat most cars on the road. I rode the KZ for maybe 2 years or so, then I stumbled upon the 95 ninja 500, and thusly this board. I owned it for 6 months and sold it. I now own a 94 CBR. I honestly miss the little ninja. It was a lot easier to ride. it generally balanced better and was better behaved at lower cruising speeds, it was a good fit for me too (5'8" 145 lbs). The CBR, starting out riding it was tedious. The throttle held *unspeakable* power in the right gear. And this is not a fuel injected 115 horsepower bike like the newer ones are. If I came across another 500 maybe a little newer and in good shape, I would be tempted to buy it just because its a great motorcycle that was easy to ride and easy to maintain, with more than enough power.
Last friday I went out riding with a buddy of mine. He has had a little riding experience, but probably less than 100 miles in total. he bought a 1986 yamaha fz600. Now, this bike, in all reality, isn't much more powerful than the 500 was, or at least that was my opinion when I rode it. we went out cruising and hit a couple straight stretches and got up to maybe 90. then my buddy stops in the road to tell me that this stretch of road is where he opened it up the day before. I had never ridden on this road before so me tearing off and winding the CBR up to 110 was probably not the greatest idea. anyway, at the end of the stretch theres a curve that closes alot faster than either of us had anticipated. I was on the brakes and I leaned hard. I made it through the corner. I look in my mirror and my buddy sets his bike into a dead wobble, and dumps it straight in the ditch. He didn't get hurt and his bike was fine. but the point is, the deciding factor here was experience. And that it could have ended up being alot worse for my friend.
My boss has plenty of stories to tell as well. He doesn't ride anymore and I suspect its because he can tell you exactly how many feet he slid down the pavement on his ass. i think it was something like 120 feet. He also had a friend that got all excited about getting a bike to go with friends that was too big for his ability. He wrecked it shortly after getting it. He survived but the life he had left might not have been worth it if you ask me.

This isn't another toy, this is real life. If your friend wants to make riding motorcycle a lifelong pleasure, he'll go through the process. If he wants to lose skin or limbs, he'll buy the R6. I took my time, bought and sold bikes. The amount that I've learned, working on, being around, and riding different bikes has introduced me to more people, given me more ability both riding and working on motorcycles and more respect than ever getting the most powerful bike I could afford first. I wouldn't have done it any other way and I would very strongly discourage anyone from doing differently.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hot4Teach...I'm kind of in the same type of boat you are.

The day I got my EX my best buddy (who knows how to ride from many, many years back) just had to sit on it. I think he was actually more excited about the bike than I was (but not really, I was just trying to play it cool at the time). I let him take a spin around the neighborhood with all my gear on and he has since decided he wanted a bike too. The next couple of days he started finding EX500s around town for sale asking me what I thought. It was great, but the winter soon came and his enthusiasm lessened.

Now, he's about to be getting an undergraduate degree and is in line for a HUGE promotion where he works. And, now, he is planning to buy a ducati monster. Not a used one, but a brand new one, the 695 engine. Now, initially, out of jealousy I told him not too (I looked into buying a used Monster before I found my beloved 500r). But after thinking about it and reading specs on it, I'm not so sure it's the "safest" bike for him to buy. Sure, he knows how to ride around the block, but he hasn't taken the MSF course or had much practice on a bike in general.

It's hard to try and explain it to him; I'm sure you're having a difficult time as well. I'm still not sure how to handle it...

But, I guess all we can hope for is that after a week of riding the Monster (or R6 in your case) they are convinced the bike is too much and trade us for our EXs!

·
Registered
199 Posts
A monster 695 is more like an SV650 than an R6 - they aren't that impressive of bikes imo and overly expensive. I've ridden with two of my buddies who have them and I owned them in the twisties. Its an irritatingly fat bike to turn and really unforgiving.

I swear for being half the price of "comparable" bikes, our bikes kick so much anus its not funny.

·
Registered
130 Posts
luke said:
I figure I'll offer a little first hand testimony here. I had always had a desire to own some kind of crotch rocket, but it wasn't my first bike and I'm glad. My first bike was a KZ440, which really for its size had plenty of power. I mean, even the most gutless bike is going to have more than enough power to beat most cars on the road. I rode the KZ for maybe 2 years or so, then I stumbled upon the 95 ninja 500, and thusly this board. I owned it for 6 months and sold it. I now own a 94 CBR. I honestly miss the little ninja. It was a lot easier to ride. it generally balanced better and was better behaved at lower cruising speeds, it was a good fit for me too (5'8" 145 lbs). The CBR, starting out riding it was tedious. The throttle held *unspeakable* power in the right gear. And this is not a fuel injected 115 horsepower bike like the newer ones are. If I came across another 500 maybe a little newer and in good shape, I would be tempted to buy it just because its a great motorcycle that was easy to ride and easy to maintain, with more than enough power.
Last friday I went out riding with a buddy of mine. He has had a little riding experience, but probably less than 100 miles in total. he bought a 1986 yamaha fz600. Now, this bike, in all reality, isn't much more powerful than the 500 was, or at least that was my opinion when I rode it. we went out cruising and hit a couple straight stretches and got up to maybe 90. then my buddy stops in the road to tell me that this stretch of road is where he opened it up the day before. I had never ridden on this road before so me tearing off and winding the CBR up to 110 was probably not the greatest idea. anyway, at the end of the stretch theres a curve that closes alot faster than either of us had anticipated. I was on the brakes and I leaned hard. I made it through the corner. I look in my mirror and my buddy sets his bike into a dead wobble, and dumps it straight in the ditch. He didn't get hurt and his bike was fine. but the point is, the deciding factor here was experience. And that it could have ended up being alot worse for my friend.
My boss has plenty of stories to tell as well. He doesn't ride anymore and I suspect its because he can tell you exactly how many feet he slid down the pavement on his a$$. i think it was something like 120 feet. He also had a friend that got all excited about getting a bike to go with friends that was too big for his ability. He wrecked it shortly after getting it. He survived but the life he had left might not have been worth it if you ask me.

This isn't another toy, this is real life. If your friend wants to make riding motorcycle a lifelong pleasure, he'll go through the process. If he wants to lose skin or limbs, he'll buy the R6. I took my time, bought and sold bikes. The amount that I've learned, working on, being around, and riding different bikes has introduced me to more people, given me more ability both riding and working on motorcycles and more respect than ever getting the most powerful bike I could afford first. I wouldn't have done it any other way and I would very strongly discourage anyone from doing differently.

Nicely Written.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
The 500 is way cheaper

It's the best bang for the buck available

All first bikes get dumped (or worse), it pains less when it's a cheaper one ;)

The chicks don't know the difference (so true, have a friend with an R1, ladies find mine the coolest of the 2, priceless especially when mine cost maybe 10% of his bike budget ;D)

Many peoples here still have their 500 even if they got a bigger bike now and those who don't own it anymore, are missing it.

You have a better life expectancy on the 500. Don't make it your last bike..

You don't look like all the other stupid squids that need a big toy to show off, you look like you do have self esteem since you do not need to overcompensate..

Outperforming a Corvette/Porsche/Riced Civics is plenty performance for your first bike.. ;)

Avoid Darwinism

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Friends don't let friends learn on racer-bikes.

·
Registered
405 Posts
When I first started looking into buying a bike my heart was set on CBR 600RR but after doing an inordinant amount of reading and comparing I settled on the 500r and honestly I'm so glad I did. I wouldn't have been able to handle the CBR I'm sure of it and I probably would have ended up dead. I rather have a long life on a 500 than a short one on a supersport that is really only an expensive ego boost.

See if you're friend is willing to read the innumerable accounts of people who have started to big and are sorry about it, that's what finally changed my mind.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Tell him to get a used EX. He'll get laid just as many times (which is what it sounds he'll be using it for)without spending as much money as an R6.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, this has been good advice and I'm going to relay it to him. He drives a seriously high performance RX7 and his thinking is he doesn't want a bike that won't keep up. It's funny you're all mentioning the female magnetism. That may have been part of why I started...but my buddy's got a girl...practically engaged. This is a "whose dick is bigger" issue.

·
Registered
192 Posts
he will probably think that it is underpowered actually... most beginning riders are too afraid to push into the high rpms, so he wont experience the true "rocketability" until he drops some ;) but i guarantee that that r6 will have a thousand dollars worth of repairs within the month... absolutely guarantee it

1 - 20 of 66 Posts