Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was forced to change my oil today after 200 miles. That story is somewhere else.

I don't have everything I need here to do an oil change, so I had to make some stuff up. It all worked until putting the right amount of oil in. I bought a 4 quart oil jug, with one of those see through sight lines with markings along it. I knew I wanted it below one quart, but just a bit above 1/2 quart when I was done.

I know, not very precise, but it should have given me around 3.4 quarts (how precise does this have to be anyway?) . Except I wasn't on a level surface. Sh*t. The parking lot I did this in is sloped gently to allow water runoff. I had the bike oriented with the front looking down the grade. When I looked at the sight glass (while it was on its centerstand), it was completely full. When I put the bike down onto its kickstand, the glass mostly emptied. If I had to guess, I would say I put 3.5-3.6 quarts in. Probably closer to 3.5.

I forget, how am I supposed to read that thing? I think it was supposed to be read while hot, but I don't want to start the bike up yet if I put too much oil in. Rumor has it that leads to bad things.

So if I put too much oil in, can I just open up the drain plug and let a bit out, or do I need to be more precise about this? Maybe a friend to sit on the bike and hold it steady while off the centerstand or something?

·
Registered
19,387 Posts
Don't worry about it that little overfill won't hurt a thing.
I seen these things run OK with 6 quarts inthem.

FOG

1 - 3 of 3 Posts