Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I posted anything I've done to my bike.

Added a Trail Tech coolant temp gauge and water proof USB connection. I mainly wanted it so I could hook up my GoPro without it dying. I installed MC Larry handlebar risers which I love. I route the cables a little different so I had to get a longer front brake line. I went with a black braided one from Venhill.

I added Oxford heated grips. These things are awesome and they turn off on their own if you forget to turn them off. The mounting bracket holes didn't line up so I had to modify it some to make it work.

I added a RAM mount with a wireless charger. I tapped one thread into the steering stem nut, threaded a ball mount, then JB welded it in place. It turned out pretty well and the vibrations on the phone are barely noticeable when riding. I took the rubber piece off the RAM mount and used epoxy to glue a wireless charger onto it. I made sure that the two vent holes on the back side were left open. I have ridden with this in the rain before and have not had an issue. I glued a GoPro mount to the brake reservoir. I use the USB connection to power the GoPro for long rides. The USB and wireless charger are routed to a dual USB hub under the seat with an SAE connection. I wired the USB hub up directly to the battery with a transistor and the gate switch to the auxiliary power wire. This way the charger and USB port only get power when the key is on. I start the bike, unplug the USB hub and plug in a mini compressor to air up my tires. The compressor is part of a tire repair kit that I keep under the seat so I can fix and inflate a tire when traveling. Every bulb except the license place bulb is LED. With the heated grips on high, the GoPro plugged in, and my phone charging, the battery puts up just enough voltage to stay charged so even at a long red light or warm up I don't have to worry about it dying. It is maxed out on electrical draw though.

I put a Go Cruise cruise control on and it works very well. I don't use it that often, but it is nice for long stretches of flat roads.

I made a mounting bracket so I could put a top case on the bike. The only thing I could find that would fit inside the frame was a 5/8" galvanized electrical grounding rod from Lowe's. I used a Harbor Freight compact bender, an electric angle finder, and an electric level to bend it up. Bending the bar was harder than I thought and took some time to get the bends and angles right but I think it turned out well. I drilled and tapped the grab bar for the forward mounting point then used the bracket I made for the back mounting points. I wrapped the part of the bars that go into the frame with non-slip mat like you would put in your cabinets to keep glass from sliding. This prevents metal on metal rubbing, distributes the force more evenly, and reduces vibrations. I also drilled a small hole on the inside of the frame under the seat on both sides and tapped the bracket so I could put a set screw on both sides. I still need to remove the galvanized coating from the bracket and paint it. I'll get around to that eventually. The top case is so nice to have that I don't even care if it looks goofy. If I end up taking the bike on longer rides this summer, I may modify the bracket with pieces from the passenger foot pegs to the bracket just past the frame so I can put side bags on and keep them off the exhaust.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The headlight was a cheap eBay “deal.” I had to modify it to accept LEDs, make mounting brackets, bondo the front because there was a huge imperfection from molding, epoxy the headlight reflector back on since it broke, install anti-vibration padding between the clear plastic cover and black housing, and paint it. I would not recommend it or purchase it again. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The headlight was a cheap eBay “deal.” I had to modify it to accept LEDs, make mounting brackets, bondo the front because there was a huge imperfection from molding, epoxy the headlight reflector back on since it broke, install anti-vibration padding between the clear plastic cover and black housing, and paint it. I would not recommend it or purchase it again. You get what you pay for.
Thanks. This info is very useful.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
I'm curious what you are using for rear turn signals. I can't seem to locate them in your photos.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts