Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to take on some of the suspension modifications "dad" suggested in a series of articles posted here, and need to purchase a torque wrench to increase my chances of not "screwing" up the fasteners. ;) This may be one of those topics like tires that FOG says don't have any real answers, but I still want to hear about your experiences with torque wrenches. My needs are for an occasional use torque wrench that is not going to cost a ton of money, e.g. more than $100. I know I should get the best tools I can afford, but I figure that a $20 torque wrench is probably better than the "Armstrong method" which is my usual tactic. At this point I'm thinking about a 3/8" Craftsman "click type" torque wrench, with a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter.

So if you have any experience with different types/brands of torque wrenches, please tell me about them.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
i use a 1/2 clicker type i bought from Sears. It only goes down to about 20 ft. lbs. so really I should buy one that goes down to inch pounds for those fine nuts and bolts.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Sears is where I would get one also . You should be able to get it for under $100 bucks . Torque Wrenches have a tendency to break (as all tools) so get one with a lifetime warranty as does sears .

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
I gotton good service from several cheapo ones from Harbor freight or one of those Chinese tool stores. Motorcycle and Rocket Science. I mostly just use them for the head bolts. Even on then I use the breaker bar and only check with the torque wrench.

FOG

·
Registered
152 Posts
The size scale you should get will depend on the torque specs of what you're working on, obviously. I have access to 2 torque wrenches, small and larger scale. Very handy to have both if you're going in between engine head or intake work and suspension/cosmetic applications.

If you choose to go with the click-type torque wrench, be aware that these are spring-loaded. Every time you store it you need to unload the spring inside the wrench as its stiffness will change over time if it's stored in a 'loaded' position. This caused major headaches while I was rebuilding a Ford V-8 engine. Let us know what you choose!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I was just going to say don't buy a crapsmen they will break and they are not covered by the handtool warranty but if you must they are on sale this week for $90

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use a Sears 1/2" click type, too, but forget about the lifetime warranty. It doesn't apply to torque wrenches. Sockets, screwdrivers, adjustable wrenches, etc., yes, but not torque wrenches. I had one break a few years ago and Sears wouldn't replace it.

Snap-On also has a lifetime warranty - you might check to see if it covers torque wrenches if that matters to you.

FWIW, I've had my 2nd Craftsman wrench for 9 years now without a problem.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I used to sell them and I would get lots of pissed off people coming in thinking they were getting a new one but ha, jokes on them. Its usually the lock in the handle that snaps and flies out, just like mine did. Put the little clip back in and a hose clamp around the lock and it works again, if only other people would of done that I wouldn't of heard all their ****.

S

·
0 Posts
I got mine from Harbor Freight for something like $25. Then again, I'm not using it in a commercial application, so I don't need a high-end tool.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts