Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know if this is possible or not but...it seems sometimes i cant change a traffic light when i pull into an intersection...I have waited for what seems like forever then i just end up turning right and pulling a u turn after...does a bike not have the ability to change traffic lights or something?

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
most lights are controlled by a magnetic sensor. there's enough metal on the EX to trip this, but if the sensor isn't calibrated correctly, it may not work.

contact the city works department to see if there is something they can do.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Contacting the city is the right way to do it-- in some municipalities, it's legal to run the red light if you're too small to actually trip it and you've waited for a pre-determined amount of time.
On my 360, I've got one of those "red light trigger" rare earth magnets on the centerstand... when I come to a red light, I just click the centerstand against the ground a few times (I don't actually put the bike up on it) and this seems to work.
Fortunately, in Columbus, the lights are all calibrated well.
One of my big pet peeves is when I'm out of the city and I can't trigger the light and there's a line of cars behind me... It always just so happens that the person directly behind me is trying to be considerate and not crowd me, but in doing so, has their car far enough back to where they're not in the sensor's path rendering us at some awful red light purgatory. Normally I just look both ways, and run it.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I feel Ya, I have been in contact the past week or so with city here , you may want to check the law before you go running redlights , I knon its not legal here in Nc yet ,but is slated to be on the books by year end , I read that for here we will have to wait atleast 3 min. before we are allowed to go if the light wont change.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I get the same problems on my bicycle... but the easiest remedy here in suburbia is to roll up next to the pedestrian crossing button. Probably ought not try that on a motorcycle, eh? :eek:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I'd love to see that LOL

·
Registered
404 Posts
roll back and inch forward a few times, that always works...the green light triggers were designed for cars
probably, that's why they don't work for bikes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Move to Tennessee. ;) We can run them according to our laws. Only after waiting "a reasonable" amount of time. I think 1/8 of a second is reasonable.

·
Registered
496 Posts
i have had the same problem. just yesterday i was sitting at a stop light for 3 cycles (busy intersection, i aint goin thru!!) i kept signaling the UPS truck behind me to move up.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I have found putting in most cases puttind down my kick stand and using my foot to push down the centerstand is usually enough to trigger the sensor. Usually! I have also heard that if you turn your bike off and start it a few times the magenetic fields of the starter can help trigger it. Never worked for me.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
ommyt69 said:
I knon its not legal here in Nc yet ,but is slated to be on the books by year end , I read that for here we will have to wait atleast 3 min. before we are allowed to go if the light wont change.
I'd love to know how they regulate that.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Here in Ontario you wait until you have decided that the light sensor is non-functional, then go. So on a bike that means that all sensor-ed lights get treated like a four way stop sign.

If you affix a magnet to the bottom of your bike it will trip the sensor.

I have no problem with an EX... but a Gold Wing is dicey. I think because the crankshaft, the biggest piece of iron, is longitudinal in the bike.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Jrocket said:
I have found putting in most cases puttind down my kick stand and using my foot to push down the centerstand is usually enough to trigger the sensor. Usually! I have also heard that if you turn your bike off and start it a few times the magenetic fields of the starter can help trigger it. Never worked for me.
Bike of and on...same concept as flashing your brights when you want the light to change.

Turning my bike off and only works about 50% of the time for me.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
How about adding a steel plate in the arch of the shoe/boot... or a magnet under the heel?

I found that if I roll forward more than usual, the car behind me will creep up & it will trigger the lights.

·
Registered
631 Posts
bibletoter said:
Move to Tennessee. ;) We can run them according to our laws. Only after waiting "a reasonable" amount of time. I think 1/8 of a second is reasonable.

where did you find that information?
I'm from pa and cant find anything one way or another.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
I found that if I roll forward more than usual, the car behind me will creep up & it will trigger the lights.
That's my usual trick.

bibletoter said:
Reasonable amount of time = the amount of time for the rear tire to come back down after rocking a stoppie ;) :D

One thing to watch out for (for someone that didn't know) is when they have the wires implanted in the pavement (you'll usually see a big octagon or the like), park over the wires on one side or the other. The more mass you can get over the wire the better, but those type of sensors seem to be a bit more sensitive anyway, which is helpful.

BTW, if you have trouble tripping timed lights then it's not the bike...

·
Registered
21 Posts
NinjaChic said:
bibletoter said:

where did you find that information?
I'm from pa and cant find anything one way or another.
According to bikernation.net (and I don't know how accurate this is), Minnesota, Wisconsin, Georgia, Tennessee and Idaho all allow running the red after a "reasonable period of time". Washington, Oklahoma, and South Carolina are trying to pass a bill this year and California's is only being drafted now. :(

·
Registered
631 Posts
cool, thanks. im going to keep looking though. there are some lights that even in a car take forever and of coarse, those are also no turn on reds!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts