Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be trailering my 500 soon and I'm looking for advice on types of tie-downs, where to tie on the bike, and any other suggestions you can offer.

Thanks,

1/2-Fast

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
Fist you need to know if the trailer has a suspension or not. If yes then secure the front by the stanchions for the bars not the bars themselves. Compress the springs to very tightly. the rear shouldn't need anything.
If you have a suspended trailer, tiedown by the top of the fork sliders and let the bike's suspension damp the bounces. and the rear shouldn't need anything except a light line to hold it a bit.

FOG

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
I found the canyon Dancer to put all the load on the Bars. This I didn't like as my throttle was getting damaged. Thats why I ended up using the base of the bar stanchions.
FOG

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
FOG said:
I found the canyon Dancer to put all the load on the Bars. This I didn't like as my throttle was getting damaged. Thats why I ended up using the base of the bar stanchions.
FOG
Canyon Dancer is made exclusively for sportbikes . I've hauled mine over 2000 miles with em' and a set of Ancra Straps that ddoesn't rachet (the pull type) and have never had a problem with the throttle . Also transported a ZG 1000 from Arkansa with the same setup in back of a pickup truck .

·
Registered
821 Posts
I used Ancra tie downs once, and the buckles kept slipping. I returned them, and they said it was a "bad batch" but I just don't trust them anymore. I've gone back to the ratchet style.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Just have a buddy ride in the tailor and hold your bike up.

uh-oh..*ducks and covers for FOGS response* ;)

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
AntiAndy said:
Just have a buddy ride in the tailor and hold your bike up.

uh-oh..*ducks and covers for FOGS response* ;)
(Feeble attempt at humor noted) responce deemed not necessary.

FOG " If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all"

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I thought you were supposed to just roll the bike up one side of the trailer and drop it on it's side toward the other side of the trailer. When I do want to keep it upright (like if I have a full tank of gas I don't want to spill) then I just attach my tie downs (come-alongs and logging chain) to the front turn signals and crank it down.

All kidding aside (okay, so I never actually put the kidding aside), I pretty much use FOG's method. I almost always go to the bar stanchions though, I like to pull the slack out of the suspension. In addition, I run a strap around the rear tire and pull the bike backwards to lessen the chances of the front straps finding any slack.

Not that I really care, but last time I hauled my bikes I let a friend tie down the EX while I was loading a few things (when I moved to my house). When we got to our destination the bikes appeared exactly as we left them. When I was pulling them into our new garage I found a dent in the gas tank of the KZ that I hadn't seen before. On further inspection I found purple paint (off the KZ) on the end of the EX's clutch lever. I guess they got in a fight and somehow the EX got in a good sucker punch and got back into the straps. I can only assume it's jealousy because I've been riding the KZ more since the EX needs tires :D.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
If you do use the ratchet type make sure you dont conpress the front suspension over 50% , you will make the fork seals leak .

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Hey Slugger do you know how much those run $$ ??? I've been looking into an enclosed trailer so I can carry my cruisers also , they wouldn't fit on something like that . But my EX & ZG might tho .

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Knightslugger said:
$60,000 or $70,000 for a bimmer, a trailer, and another bike?! I think I'd just buy the trailer and use your Trailblazer/Envoy :p.

Looks like a nice trailer, though. That may be the route I go if we stay in the house we're in now for a super long time. It's hard to find a place for a trailer in a subdivision.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
for a little over 350, def. a good trailer! i guess if you need to haul two, the price goes up marginally for the extenders, larger wheels, and the extra troff. look quality too. CHEAP.

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
Heck if you got a genuwine MC trailer, just stick the front wheel into the shoe, and tie it there and go. My three rail Holaclaw woud work just fine like that. required no other tie downs at all.

FOG

1 - 19 of 19 Posts