Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im kinda scared to mess with the trip meter but i want to reset it. i dont want to accidentally reset my odometer. what do i do ?

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
madd-dogg11 said:
im kinda scared to mess with the trip meter but i want to reset it. i dont want to accidentally reset my odometer. what do i do ?
Do you really think that you could reset the Odometer that easy? A boon to all used Bike salsemen.

FOG

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I reset mine everytime I gas up. The odometer never went back down.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
haha, if that trick worked nobody would have any mileage on their bikes! that, and we'd all be riding around with our trip button taped down to keep 'em off.

the engineers designed things so that you can't reset your actual mileage. if you're really slick though, you could get a used odometer from someone parting a bike, and decrease your mileage by just about any amount.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Unless you've owned the bike the whole time that kind of blatant odo tampering will show up on a title search. If the milage when you sell it is less than what you bought it at that tends to raise some red flags.

however if you owned the bike since it was new then it would be hard to prove that the mileage had been rolled back.

Totally not worth it for these bikes anyway. the rewards are not that much and if you do it caught it could be jail time.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
yeah guys, not advocating it... just stating possibilities. perhaps i should have put a disclaimer

not intended for actual use. void where prohibited. exclusions apply. this means everybody

·
Registered
35 Posts
just push the button in all the way and it'll reset the trip meter. turn the button to the right to reset the other trip meter on the tachometer side.

·
Registered
633 Posts
if you8 need to change a rolling odometer like when you buy a used odometer to replace your broken one (lets keep it somewhat legal folks), just remove the glass or plastic cover and use a pencil eraser on the number, and just roll it ***FORWARD*** until you get to the correct number. if you roll it backwards you can damage some of the internal parts and it might not roll forward like it should. Not that i've ever done this or anything

1 - 11 of 11 Posts