Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, hope all is going well. I bought a ninja 500 a few months ago and it’s pretty cool, just have been causing some problems lately. I’m from Texas and lately it’s been really cold, and my bike won’t start. I try to start it and it starts for a second, idles at about 1000 rpm, then turns off. I’m trying to figure out what the issue could be? I’m thinking it might need the carb cleaned maybe, and with it being cold it’s being harder for it to start. I’m not too mechanically inclined but this bike has made me flex this part of my brain haha. I want to try to take the carb off and try cleaning it. What do you guys think I should check? Already replaced battery so I know it’s not that.

200 Posts
As the last date of manufacture was '09......I'd check/clean all tuning components, surfaces...all of it. I'd also refrain from starting the project without new orings, new float valves and bowl orings on hand. Plan on splitting the set, concentrating on main, pilot, choke and float circuits, replacing the fuel and vent rail orings. Clean using ultrasonic, soda blast. Reassemble and "wet test' using the clear tube method to aid in setting fuel levels, finish with bench synch, follow up with a live manometer synch.

Care to publish your year and mileage? I'm curious to see if other maintenance may be required as well.

·
Border Kong
993 Posts
Have you tried starting the bike with the "choke" (enricher) lever on?

I agree with Gordon that your carbs probably need a good cleaning and consumable replacement (o-rings and float valves), but using the choke to start and the bike's reaction to doing so may give clues to the real problem.

Model and mileage are also important for diagnosis.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I agree with Gordon that your carbs probably need a good cleaning and consumable replacement (o-rings and float valves), but using the choke to start and the bike's reaction to doing so may give clues to the real problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts

get this I used it on mine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts