Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying out my new Manta camera tank mount, it rocks, takes real steady footage.
And yes I know I ain't leaning it all the way over, my rear shock is out of nitrogen and needs a rebuild.
And none of you children watching at home try this please.... ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXOZA2XjzXo

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Re: Tring out my new tank camera mount (Vid on U-tube)

That's pretty cool.

In case of an accident that sucker could be... um dangerous.
Perhaps substituting nylon screws at the gas cap would give some break-away protection.

Is the back support a suction cup?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

yeah it is a suction cup, on a threaded rod so you can tighten the whole structure up, i may try it mounted the other way also, but it hangs about a mm above the head bolt, to close to see tach and road i think but I may try it.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

here it is the other way, should be good for my GPS also

·
Registered
234 Posts

Judging from youtube vid, for those riders with dark smoke windscreen, this mount is useless. Would you say so?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

They claim it will go high enough to see over the screen, but just don't think so on a Ex, i'll post a shot of it all the way up, but its dark here now, so manyana.

Also thats my short screen, stock is higher by a few inches.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Re: Trying out my new tank camera mount (Vid on U-tube)

where'd you snag that from? i was searching, but didn't find any that looked exactly like yours...

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,159 Posts

Hey,Wolf;You may be a white-trash redneck ,if.... you've ever been the first to mount a vid-cam on a motorcycle.Wow,didn't know about the cap key-----LOOK AT ME, I'M SCREAMING YEEEEE-HAAAAA. Who is this psycho?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Billbo said:
Hey,Wolf;You may be a white-trash redneck ,if.... you've ever been the first to mount a vid-cam on a motorcycle.Wow,didn't know about the cap key-----LOOK AT ME, I'M SCREAMING YEEEEE-HAAAAA. Who is this psycho?
I don't know but if he think's my video where I never go over 45mph and the tach stays below 6 the whole time is scary riding then he has lead a VERY sheltered life.... ;D

·
Registered
1,159 Posts

The SUV that pulled out into your lane seemed to be more of a problem than your riding.

·
Registered
19,365 Posts

I was going to say , What's the point? But I know were going to be treated to some exciting ex500 footage that will rival anything produced by the Rossi stuff. Oww I can hardly wait.

FOG

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Billbo said:
The SUV that pulled out into your lane seemed to be more of a problem than your riding.
yeah you can hear me give it some gas as I went by him, my way of saying "hey moron, didn't you see the bike you just pulled out in front of and pick a lane while your at it" ;D

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

FOG said:
I was going to say , What's the point? But I know were going to be treated to some exciting ex500 footage that will rival anything produced by the Rossi stuff. Oww I can hardly wait.
FOG
Hey i know I was going slow, it was just a test run for the equipment. ;)
Won't even show the footage to my brother as I don't wanna hear allot of jokes about parking it in corners. (my fast brother with the FZR-400 and 2 National Championships in LtWtSuperSport, not the slow one with the Katana 600)
And does Rossi have that cool of a soundtrack? :)
And I am serious about not going too fast in corners till I get my Fox rebuilt, it has zero nitrogen (sigh, i pumped it up with air) in it and was last rebuilt circa '93.
Don't really want to fork out some $800 for a shock made by some truck rental company either.... ;D
I hope CCS will let me run it in practice, then we might see some good footage. Come on Fog, how many times in your racing would a onboard camera have captured some truly cool footage?

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts

simmer dudes. everyone has different reasons for why they want a camera mount.

"If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all..." --Thumper

·
Registered
19,365 Posts

Come on Fog, how many times in your racing would a on board camera have captured some truly cool footage?

Actually I made some on bike footage for a professional film co in 1993 At the Bridghampton Race Track. (now a golf course). They were macking a documentary about Women in racing and wanted some on bike footage. They needed an expert to carry a camera and a recorder. Yes remember 1993, the camera was a Lipstick taped to my helmet , but the recorded was bungeed to the seat along with about 30 lbs of battery.
In order to get some passing and other bikes I went out in Armature practice, Well they got there wish and nearly got me killed. The Bridge is a very fast race track er... was. and in places my speed was 40 -50 miles per Hr. faster than some of the novices. well I don't need to explain what can happen then.

I have a VHS tape that they gave me. And I'm trying to figure out how to convert it to a Digital recording. I have a program called Dazzle and I have the tape loaded into my comp. If I can just figure out how to Edit and splices it back together I'll post it to U tube.

FOG

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

See? :)

Anywho, i am in the same spot as you, I have about 4-6 VHS tapes of me racing at various SE tracks, Daytona includ, that are boring for the most part but if condensed down to 1 short might be good.....with the right tunes and all.... ;D

anywho what you need is this thingy from Turtlebch, the Turtle Beach Video Advantage PCI Video Capture thingy:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/06/04/capturing_videos_using_the_turtle_beach_video_advantage/

I just got one on Ebay for $60, it takes VHS right to DVD, one step, or a few more if you want to edit etc...also from other inputs like camcorder, etc, and will burn to disk, hard drive or stream to the web.
Spent an hour in my storage unit looking for my CCS race tapes though and couldn't find the right box, have to go back, can't wait since its about 110 in there.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Allright, I went for a ride today with the Manta on the other way, ie facing fwd, it gives good footage but i still like better when you can see the tach, plus i had the camera aimed too low, but that does make it look like you are going allot faster it seems.

Movie 2-U-tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnRR96odo1Y

·
Registered
633 Posts
For some reason the 1st video won't load, the second one would be real cool if it was just aimed a bit higher.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
derf said:
For some reason the 1st video won't load, the second one would be real cool if it was just aimed a bit higher.
huh, it works for me, then try "more from this user"? at utube? yeah up another 5-10 degrees on camera angle.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts