Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Kawasaki EX500-A6
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am new to the forum and need some help. I have followed a lot of the advice and knowledge I have found online to fix my bike but I can't manage to get the stator cover back on now. Ended up cracking the cover trying to get it flush. Just ordered a new gen cover since I have a modified second gen flywheel. Not sure why I'd need to but since my current cover is now cracked I need a new one. Any suggestions on how I could fix this issue and potentially mount the flywheel wheel on better?

·
Registered
1992 Kawasaki EX500-A6
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I had a replacement bolt and switched to the original, not much of a difference but using the original bolt I was able to get the flywheel on tighter so that's kinda annoying.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Hi all, I am new to the forum and need some help. I have followed a lot of the advice and knowledge I have found online to fix my bike but I can't manage to get the stator cover back on now. Ended up cracking the cover trying to get it flush. Just ordered a new gen cover since I have a modified second gen flywheel. Not sure why I'd need to but since my current cover is now cracked I need a new one. Any suggestions on how I could fix this issue and potentially mount the flywheel wheel on better?
the cover should just slide on it's a little tight locating on the dowels but a flat hand slap should close it.
if it's not closing at all something is preventing it. just a thought got any pictures of the assembled cover and flywheel, heard of this before where the wrong flywheel was used are you sure you have the right one. RO5 flywheels are fatter than RO3 ones by about 1/2in so the cover stands off when fitted. this was the problem I mentioned.

·
Fast Old Guy
20,022 Posts
There is no such thing a getting the flywheel on “tighter”
it only fits the taper one way. Are you sure you have the key properly located?
or are you sure you have the correct flywheel

FOG

·
Registered
1992 Kawasaki EX500-A6
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no such thing a getting the flywheel on “tighter”
it only fits the taper one way. Are you sure you have the key properly located?
or are you sure you have the correct flywheel

FOG
Actually in this instance there was because it was not all the way flush with the new bolt, for some reason couldn't tighten it as much but I fixed the issue using the original bolt. They appear to be the same but uncertain as to why it wouldn't tighten the same. Anyway issue is fixed, I just can't get gas to go through my petcock currently which is strange because I replaced all the seals except the diaphragm which looked fine otherwise but idk.

·
Registered
1992 Kawasaki EX500-A6
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So just basically to update briefly this bike was not running when I bought it. I changed and drained everything on this bike to get it healthy to run. The reason it did not run was because of broken magnets. This is a 1st gen EX500, currently it seems that my petcock is not working properly. Uncertain what else to do other than change the diaphragm since I change all other seals and bolts.

·
Registered
1992 Kawasaki EX500-A6
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a link to all of my photos so far, the only thing I did snap a picture of was me shaving off the rest of the excess metal on the flywheel. But otherwise that's all measured and set correctly now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts