Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He's gonna need one of those internal cylinder braces.

·
Registered
19,705 Posts
A little flashback our friendly salt flat racer designed a useful part .an external brace between the cylinders. I have no data but knowing how weak this engine is structurally ,it has to be a good Idea

FOG

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Pressurizing it and doubling the firing impulses are as far from the Kawasaki engineer's minds as east is from west, to paraphrase. ARP studs, brace and copper gasket will help. Is there enough meat to dowel the brace to the head? Or just a precision bore, matched to the bolts/studs?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Pressurizing it and doubling the firing impulses are as far from the Kawasaki engineer's minds as east is from west, to paraphrase. ARP studs, brace and copper gasket will help. Is there enough meat to dowel the brace to the head? Or just a precision bore, matched to the bolts/studs?
My implementation uses just straight bores through the brace but any proper engineer could improve it 3X with just good practices, eg. (fit) milling, dowels, optimal thickness, perfect material, etc.

BTW, I'm mothballing the EX500 implementation, and moving on to the 750 class, aiming for a 180 MPH record using a modern GSXR-750 (with professional race level work as needed). I'm also locating the motor in the back and (sadly) eliminating the center drive. I realize I need both an engine capable of near State-Of-The-Art power, and I need an ultra-high-efficiency drive train (single chain, ceramic bearings, light-weight 520). So a rear-engine "pusher" configuration for next year.
Cheers, Mike

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow! Quite a turn of events! Plenty of speed parts for the gixxer.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Is this the most heavily modified 500 on the internet?? This fella made his own pistons.
He knew that the pistons pump the same CC going both up and down. Technically, his design could have equal or greater compression beneath the piston than above - which has never been achieved in two strokes without supercharging, and superchargers take a lot of horsepower to drive. Two strokes use the down "compression" of the piston to pressurize the entire crankcase, said pressure entering the combustion chamber via the transfer ports. The mushroom piston, with combustion chamber above and compression chamber below, greatly increases the pressure of the mixture flowing through the transfer ports, so smaller transfers are needed. The injector is placed and timed to take advantage of this. Very little unburnt mixture is lost out the exhaust, so emissions are far less. Thus, there could be an emissions legal two stroke street bike.

The bottom end of a two stroke is the weak link, as the only oil that lubes crank, rod and piston is that fraction mixed with the gas. A tiny amount. The mushroom piston design leaves the stock EX wet sump and filter, so there are no such problems. It would appear that he can get much more transfer compression via his design than trying to pressurize the crankcase beneath the piston of a conventional two stroke. Brilliant, even if it does make the engine taller. The challenge now is arriving at perfect mixture, injector timing, lubing the "stem" of the mushroom and the rings. I imagine an oil jet will do this.

Reactions: efusco9796

·
Registered
19,705 Posts
There are much easier ways to make a Hand Grenade

FOG

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll bet uncle Sam spent more than this on each hand grenade. I suppose we could send turbo EX500s to our enemies.

·
Super Moderator
6,870 Posts
Why, aren't the tanks and choppers enough :oops:

·
Super Moderator
6,870 Posts
Yeah that's what I was aiming at.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts