Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just found out I have a short in my turn signals... I was wondering if there was a common place to look for the short, or if anyone had a similar problem?

This is how it happened: I was changing my coolant, so I took the front fairing (sp?) off to make it easier, so I had to unplug the headlight and the turn signal lights (which I'm assuming is the red colored connector). When I reconnected everything, it blew a fuse, and I just replaced the fuse, and blew another one testing the signals :mad:

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
When you re-connected the light you connected a Hot wire to ground. Check all the black wires and be sure none of them are connected to any other color.
FOG

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FOG said:
When you re-connected the light you connected a Hot wire to ground. Check all the black wires and be sure none of them are connected to any other color.
FOG
I don't see how I could have done that, because the plug only fits one way...

I also figured out that the short is on the left side.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I did some more testing.

I already found out that the problem is on the left turn signal; when I signal left, the fuse would blow. This time, I unplugged the front blinkers. When I signal right, the right rear turn signal would signal twice as fast (as expected). But when I signal left, the lights would dim for a split second, and nothing would happen. After signaling left, both turn signals wouldn't do ANYTHING. However, the fuse didn't blow. After taking the fuse out, or turning off the bike, the right turn signal would work again.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
it's the Clymer manual

Any developments ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol, I ordered the Clymer manual, and it came in a few days ago, and I've been poring over it... unfortunately, there's not much information on the turn signal system. I'm not surprised, this shouldn't be a common problem. But does anyone know where the turn signal relay is located?

·
Registered
19 Posts
The turn signal flasher is under the seat between the frame and the faring on the right side of the bike, as if you were standing from the rear. It's black and rectangular in shape. Should say Nippondenso which is the brand name. Its just hooked to the frame with a black rubbery clip. and has a three prong connector on the bottom.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, I'll keep you guys posted about when I find the problem. And yes, I'll remember (I read Fog's post about finishing threads.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright! over a year later, and I'm back to finish this thread!

I have a good excuse... I've been at school more than 500 miles away, while my bike stayed home :'(

Anyway, I did find the short! kinda. I localized it to the wiring harness that is connected to the turn signal / hi-beam assembly housing on the left handlebar, although I couldn't exactly see where the short was. I tore apart the plastic sheath, looked at the wires under a magnifying glass, but no luck. And it of course disappeared when I moved it. So yeah, just as a preventative measure, I bought a new one, and then covered the exposed wire at the plug end with heat-shrink tubing.

I hope that helps someone...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts