Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've mentioned this event in a few post here and might as well tell the whole story as maybe it can help someone else from making the same fatal mistakes.

Dec 23/24 1988, I was 26, had my 1988 EX a little over a year.

Over the summer became friends with a 21yo dude from Oh. who had just moved to Fla, named Steven Dexter, but went by Dex, he had a new Honda Hurricane 600. We rode together for a few months, he was invited to my families for X-mas, we hung out after work, best buddies etc.
Dec 23 we went over to Tampa on the bikes to the night club district of Ybor City. I was dancing most the night with some cuties and had less then 2 drinks in about 3 hours and was fine as we were leaving circa 3am (now Dec 24) when the clubs close. I hadn't kept a very close eye on Dex 'cause I was on the dance floor so I asked him if he was OK to ride and he said he was. I don't know how much he drank but he was walking steady. Well those were his last words.

(I had given him some sh!t earlier before we left my house because he was wearing a dark shield but he said he was fine in it. sigh.
Earlier that evening in Clearwater he had jumped ahead of me right before a sharp left, missed the turn, went over the curb right between a telephone pole and the guy wire. I gave him some more crap about the shield and hauling a$$ when you don't know where you are and he said he would cool it some and crack the shield.)

3 am, we hop on the Interstate for the ride home, a way he hadn't been yet as we had hopped off on the way over at a earlier exit so we could cruise Kennedy Blvd in Tampa. As we were coming up to the interchange, big clover leaf type deal know locally as "Malfuntion Juntion" where the road splits left/right and left is also a fairly sharp curve and overpass. Well he got stupid and passed me and punched it up to about 80mph before we got to the split. I believe he looked in his left mirror to see what way I would go at the split and missed seeing the guard rail come up on his right. (you could make it at 80 but it wouldn't be any fun, slightly decreasing radius and bumpy) I was back about 20-30 bike lengths and saw a shower of sparks as the bike ran along the guardrail up against it and finally slowed down and just fell over. I pulled up next to the Hurricane, hopped off, turned off his bike and couldn't find him anywhere. ??? It was freaking me out as I was calling his name louder and louder. I walked back up the overpass curve and finally looked over the edge down the 75 feet or so to the underpass and I could see him propped up in a sitting position against the concrete divider between the opposite lanes. Well i knew that wasn't good. I hopped a fence, slid down a embankment, climbed another fence, crossed 3 lanes of 3am drunk traffic at the bottom of a underpass in the middle of a curve, hopped the divider fence to finally get to Dex.
His chest was still going up and down in a labored fashion so I knew he was still alive at the time but was thankfully unconscious it seemed.
It appeared the guardrail had caught his right foot on impact and thrown him to the right over the rail and ripped the right foot pretty much off while doing so. It was twisted backwards and held on by a little skin, since he was going 75mph+ he flew a ways, about 150ft laterally to where I found him. I think he may have hit the divider with his back and slid down to the sitting position I found him in, as his guts were hanging out in front (sorry) which was from the impact I would guess. However it did take me awhile to find him so maybe he did pull himself up to that position as he was a very strong dude, a body builder.
Well now I was really freaking because this was before cell phones and I wasn't sure what do beside wrap his foot with my tee-shirt and talk to him and tell him he was gonna be OK, just hold on.
Since it was at the bottom of a high speed curving underpass no one could see us as they flashed by. Finally a car stopped on the overpass and looked over (because of the wrecked bike) and I yelled to go call 911. Well it got reported as happening on the overpass so the ambulance showed up up there. sigh. They took off and finally showed up and took him away. Then I spent the next 2 hours on the overpass talking to cops. 5am when they said I could go, I asked what hospital he was taken too and they said he didn't make it. Then I had to get on my bike while crying and drive the 30 mins home. That was not a fun ride.

No, was not a Merry Xmas at all...

Then his mom (only child) flew down to get him and I had to meet with her and tell her what happened. That was seriously unfun also and I cried with her. sigh.

With years to think about it i think it's a combination of unfamilar roads while too fast, too dark and maybe too drunk but I never saw the police report as I didn't want to read it.

Please take something from this that might keep you alive.
And Dex, i miss you man. :'(

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, that morning a newpaper reporter came to my house and i gave a rambling interview where i said i felt responsible for his death if only because I took him out that night, if he'd stayed home it wouldn't have happened..

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
That's a seriously sad story Wolf.

I don't wish this to happen to anyone and let's all make sure we do whatever we can for this never to happen again.

You got to be a strong man to write about all this.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it the 1st time i've told the whole story in the last 20 years. Most people don't need the gory details but i feel they may make more of an impression here that could make someone be more careful or at least buy a clear shield.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Very sobering story.

I've been very tempted at times but have never taken the bike with any alcohol in my system.
It's just a personal rule that sometimes really sucks. I'm sure that I could handle a drink or two and still ride safely but even that 1st drink removes inhibitions and makes you forget the little things. Those little things are what can kill you on a bike.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
that was a sad story for me to read. and I'm sure it was hard for you to type it. I hope someone reads this and gets a good lesson or two from it.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bobthebiker said:
that was a sad story for me to read. and I'm sure it was hard for you to type it. I hope someone reads this and gets a good lesson or two from it.
Typing it wasn't so bad, it was when i read over it that i got sad....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts