Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.
I have a gen 2.
Recently my engine started to sound suspicious.
Its a "swiishhh" sound like a brake pad against a brake disc. But from the engine.
The noise follows the engine rev and disappears when the clutch is engaged.
Its also absent when in neutral.
The oil level is ok, it never ran dry.
The clutch cable has a 10-15 mm slack at the lever.
The clutch feels good. No slip.
I suspect a faulty/worn transmission.

Do you have any suggestions?
Thx.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Have you checked the chain / front sprocket alignment and wear? If chain or sprocket is worn out can make strange noises when transmission it's at load.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jorge. Thx for responding.
Chain and sprockets are fine. Chain slack is 3-4 cm.
The noise follows engine revs not wheel revs. That's why I suspect transmission.
The bike has 54000 km on the clock.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If it is happening only when the clutch is disengaged, I'm guessing this bearing in the clutch maybe has a slight imperfection. Part number 92045-1235

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi slower.
I hope it's as simple as that.
But wouldn't it be audible in neutral with the clutch disengaged too?
Cause it isn't. Only in gear and clutch disengaged.

·
Super Moderator
6,029 Posts
May need to remove the clutch cover to inspect with in.

Also check the back side of the cover. This is where the pressure plate rubbed up against mine.

Edit: Actually now that I think about it, may as well disregard this. In this case it would make the sound when the clutch is engaged.

Edit 2: Of coarse if your definition of engaged is when the clutch lever is pulled, then disregard edit 1 from above.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Engaged, disengaged, now I'm confused.

Please provide linear description; i.e., I start the bike in neutral, it revs to 2500 rpm, sounds fine, warms up and shut off choke, idle at 1200 rpm,
I pull in the clutch, sounds fine, I push gear selector down and it selects 1st gear, then the noise begins and gets louder if I increase rpm's.

Is that accurate?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sorry if I wasn't precise. English is my second language.

The noise is present only when in gear and clutch is disengaged. So only when the engine is connected to the wheel.
The noise vary with engine revs.
If I drive at constant speed and change gear, the noise change too.
I hope this cleares things up.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just to be clear, my definitions are:

Engaged: Clutch lever OUT
Disengaged: Clutch lever IN

If your bike is running, up on centerstand, in first gear with clutch engaged and rear wheel is rotating at idle speed or faster, do you hear the swishing sound? If yes, is it louder on the sprocket side of the engine or the other side?

I think there are 2 main bearings:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@ slower
I have the opposite difinitions on clutch engagement. Engaged = pulled :)
Right now I'm on a short vacation on an island. My bike is on the main land.
I will do your test when I get back Saturday or Sunday.
When I ride and pull the clutch, the noise disappear.

·
Super Moderator
6,029 Posts
Just to be clear, my definitions are:

Engaged: Clutch lever OUT
Disengaged: Clutch lever IN
That would be my definition also.

·
Registered
785 Posts
That would be my definition also.
hi. I don't want to split hairs but either definition is correct, it depends on your interpretation of the the engineering rules. the clutch is a device to disconnect the drive from the engine to the gearbox that ultimately drives the rear wheel.
so. it is said to be engaged while driving the gearbox and disengaged when the lever is pulled and the drive disconnected.
however the clutch itself is disengaged while driving the gearbox as it is not doing anything just completing the link between the engine and the gearbox. only when the lever is pulled is the clutch active so could be described as engaged. my interpretation is the latter same as the OP. but that could be a regional thing. as when learning to drive you are told to engage the clutch before selecting gear. IE not driving the gearbox.

anyway that aside having read the thread I would guess the OP's issue is in the gearbox or final drive.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks Yorkie, I guess that explains my confusion. And it's alright because we're just trying to figure out when/how the
problem occurs, so we can guess at the solution. gearbox or final drive or clutch, I dunno?
I think "slower" may have a good idea, and I'm waiting to see the solution.

·
Registered
785 Posts
hi. I said either definition was correct just a matter of interpretation. we would describe something as operating when it was being used IE when the lever was pulled. like the front brake.
just terminology that's all it causes some confusion on occasions. I remember when I first joined the forum back in 2014 I had no idea what you guys were talking about sometimes "petcock" what the hell is that I had to Google it. AH a fuel tap I see. the more one understands the terminology the easier it gets. ;)(y)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Exactly. In my head an engaged clutch is active, pulled by rider/driver, and I agree the opposite is also true.
As said I can't do anything at the moment. I will return when I have further news.
Thx for helping me out.

·
Super Moderator
6,029 Posts
@Northwood
Now realizing your definition of engaged, I refer you back to my post at post #6 as a possibility.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thx bpe.
I will look into it Sunday.
I have a 120 km ride back home where my tools are. Should I worry?

·
Super Moderator
6,029 Posts
If it turns out to be the same thing I described above, there's no need to worry. Right now we still don't know what's going on.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I finally got the time to look at the bike.
Its hard to tell if the noise comes from right or left side.
On the right side I heard noise similar to the one I described.
To the left the small sprocket makes singing noise that drowns whatever might be there.
I pulled the clutch cover and found the clutch pin makes a slightly grinding noise when I spin it. That could be the noise. But makes no sense as the noise is not present when the clutch is pulled AND in neutral. Pin active/inactive.
So this didn't give me a diffinite answer.
While the clutch is disassembled I might as well pull the basket to smooth out the rubbing grooves from the friction discs. And sand down the steel plates.

I tried to upload 2 videos but .mp4 is not allowed. What format can be used?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts