Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I bought my bike last year the rear pads were pretty thin, but not quite finished. I've been meaning to look at them again, but seems the only time I can remember is at a red light, which isn't very convenient. Well, I finally took a peek today, and the inside rear pad is pretty much gone! The outside is thin, but still useable. Why would they wear so unevenly? And I have a trip planned starting tomorrow... guess I'll stay off the rear brakes.
FWIW, I do try to use more front than rear when braking. But I was starting off with thin rear pads to begin with.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I havn't messed with my Ninja's brakes yet.

On cars, generally, the caliper is supposed to float/slide along long bolts.
So when the brake fluid is compressed the pressure gets applied to the pads on each side of the rotor.
WHen something gums-up or jams the "slide" then pressure is uneven & so is the wear.

ANother possibility might be that more crud or water-->rust gets on the rotor side that wears most?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Lucky#13 said:
99% of the time I use fronts only .
I realized the other day that I was downshifting from modest speeds when approaching slower traffic or a stop light/sign. I wasn't using brakes... so no brake light. I'm not talented enought to blip the trottle and downshidt at the same time as using the front brake.

Problem... anyone behind me would see no brake light to warn them I was slowing.

So now I depress my foot brake when downshifting JUST to add the brake light.
Suggestions on improvement welcome.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
operaflute said:
So when I bought my bike last year the rear pads were pretty thin, but not quite finished. I've been meaning to look at them again, but seems the only time I can remember is at a red light, which isn't very convenient. Well, I finally took a peek today, and the inside rear pad is pretty much gone! The outside is thin, but still useable. Why would they wear so unevenly? And I have a trip planned starting tomorrow... guess I'll stay off the rear brakes.
FWIW, I do try to use more front than rear when braking. But I was starting off with thin rear pads to begin with.
That un even wear is quite normal don't worry about it. just replace the pads. Only use the rear brake at a dead stop, and to hold the bike on a hilly start.

FOG

R

·
0 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
If I'm engine braking (which I guess is all the time, unless there is zero traffic around me), that's the same thing I do, just tiny pressure on the rear brake to activate the light.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
That's a very good idea, IMO. Just backing off the throttle can slow one of these more than a following driver might readily recognize. A couple of flashes of the brake light is no problem and can even have your hand positioned and the play taken out of the brake, ready to use in the event you actually need it.

It's funny but myself and my brothers did this as a matter of course when we rode. Just a flash or two when we let off the throttle. Especially after a droning long run at a slow pace, it was easy to be lulled into a not so attentive state of mind (not good, but...).

Then I took a fast twisty ride with some buddies and they asked me NOT to do that. They said that every time I did, they thought I was all over my brakes and it scared them. They'd slow and I was GONE! ;D Well.. ??? That suggested to me that either they were running WAY too close OR were riding off my tail, not looking past me down the road, judging if there was an issue or not. A flash of the brake light wasn't the same as a steady light and the back end up from real braking. Bottom line, I still prefer to use the light blip and am comfortable with other riders who do the same. It can't hurt. :)

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all! Yeah, I guess the caliper seems to be favoring the inside pad. I'll replace them both when I get back home.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
I considered the use of any brakes for road riding as having made a mistake in judgement.

FOG

·
Registered
192 Posts
front one is the only one that needs to be used... the rear wheel only helps you wreck.... you should only use it when you miss a turn and are headed off in the grass

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Duly noted! lol

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
This way you high side on the nice clean pavement where the ambulance crew can find you easier.

FOG

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hee hee - before I bought my moto, and right after I got hooked, my friend (the one, incidentally who GOT me hooked) bought that little toy for me and left it on my car so I'd find it the morning I left Utah. I made a pretty funny movie with it too, driving back from Utah to AZ. I wonder if I can post it up somehow...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts