Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I'm new here and I just bought my lovely EX500 last week. I'm starting to know the bike and notice some issues.

Since I could upload the video here, you can view and hear it with this link:
Video

It's a for my unknown rattle / tick, I thought it might have been the valves but the mechanic told me it wasn't.

Does someone know what it is and if it is harmful? Since I'm on a camping and no shop around wanting to work on it :S.

I was happy to see you all were so active on here :).

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
15,401 Posts
would you grace us by revealing the year and mileage?

Reactions: auburn

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
15k miles!
And it's it's first registration is 1995, but It's a American model so I believe it is impoted. Soo I think its a little older. I know for sure it's a gen 1 because of the 16" wheels.

·
Super Moderator
15,401 Posts
Ok, so Gen 1........check 3 starter clutch bolts on backside of flywheel for loosening
While there.....check flywheel magnets. If original, consider 2nd gen flywheel upgrade.

Other members please chime in with thoughts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does continue riding with this harm the engine further?
I'm far from home, otherwise I have to fix it here in the camping.

Also, is there a guide on how to access / locate the flywheel, and where can I find a 2nd gen flywheel?

Thanks

·
Registered
371 Posts
"Other members please chime in with thoughts."

I thought it sounded like loose cam chain rattle; suggest replace tensioner with GEN 2 version.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Welcome! First, check the cam chain tensioner (front of cylinders between the exhaust pipes. The tensioner has two bolts which attach it to the cylinders and a 3rd bolt at the top of the cap. If that bolt on the cap is a 10mm size, the tensioner should be replaced. If it is a 12mm size, then that is the improved second generation tensioner.

As to the flywheel Wieltronic in Belgium makes good replacement flywheels. On the first generation flywheels, the magnets can come loose and cause trouble. There are photos which show the differences in flywheels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for your replies! Since I'm on the camping for some time (work) I can't really work on it. But when I find time I can go to the Kawasaki shop and work on it there!
I hope it does not take too long.

Ordering parts is not really an option here because it takes a week and I move places often haha.

Anyone know if it can do any real harm to ride with it?
I'll check the flywheel as well.

·
Registered
371 Posts
"Anyone know if it can do any real harm to ride with it?"

Sorry for your troubles mate, but that's not really a fair question, is it?

Nobody knows how long stuff will last until something breaks; all we know is something is slapping
around inside an engine that's rotating at amazing speeds, so at some point, something will let go!

So, we hope that you can get it fixed before it goes boom!

Best of luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well yes, sure I understand. But the ugency of the problem is something to take into account when you can't just break it apart in your garage.

But anyways, I'll see what I can do to solve the problem :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts