Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty sure that it's the pilot screw that needs adjusting, but I'm not sure how.
Whenever I go from very low rpm (idle) to full throttle, it bogs down a bit then slowly gets up there. If I keep it above 5 or 6 it will go to full throttle just fine.
I'm not so sure which way to turn the screws to fix this.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
seat them (all the way in)
turn out 2 and one half full turns
play with throttle, adjust

etc. etc. etc until you've got it where you want it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I got that far ;D , But I wasn't sure if I should turn them in or out.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
you may need to go in, you may need to bring them out... if it's sounding better and better in one direction than another, you're going the right way.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Knightslugger said:
you may need to go in, you may need to bring them out... if it's sounding better and better in one direction than another, you're going the right way.
I think thats the best advise on pilot screw adjustment . If fact that would define the word adjustment .

Adjustment :
1. the act of adjusting; adaptation to a particular condition, position, or purpose.
2. the state of being adjusted; orderly relation of parts or elements.
3. a device, as a knob or lever, for adjusting: the adjustments on a television set.
4. the act of bringing something into conformity with external requirements: the adjustment of one's view of reality.
5. harmony achieved by modification or change of a position: They worked out an adjustment of their conflicting ideas.
6. Sociology. a process of modifying, adapting, or altering individual or collective patterns of behavior so as to bring them into conformity with other such patterns, as with those provided by a cultural environment.
7. Insurance. the act of ascertaining the amount of indemnity that the party insured is entitled to receive under the policy, and of settling the claim.
8. a settlement of a disputed account or claim.
9. a change or concession, as in price or other terms, in view of minor defect or the like.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lucky#13 said:
Knightslugger said:
I think thats the best advise on pilot screw adjustment . If fact that would define the word adjustment .

Adjustment :
1. the act of adjusting; adaptation to a particular condition, position, or purpose.
2. the state of being adjusted; orderly relation of parts or elements.
3. a device, as a knob or lever, for adjusting: the adjustments on a television set.
4. the act of bringing something into conformity with external requirements: the adjustment of one's view of reality.
5. harmony achieved by modification or change of a position: They worked out an adjustment of their conflicting ideas.
6. Sociology. a process of modifying, adapting, or altering individual or collective patterns of behavior so as to bring them into conformity with other such patterns, as with those provided by a cultural environment.
7. Insurance. the act of ascertaining the amount of indemnity that the party insured is entitled to receive under the policy, and of settling the claim.
8. a settlement of a disputed account or claim.
9. a change or concession, as in price or other terms, in view of minor defect or the like.
:D Informative, yet not too helpful.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope.

I did the adjustments.

I set both the screws to default 2 1/2 turns out. Then I let the bike warm-up to normal temperature.
In 1/4 increments, I adjusted the screws in, eventually to the point where the bike wouldn't idle, even after idle adjustments.
I reset to 2 1/2 and adjusted out, eventually reaching 5 1/4 turns where the bike also wouldn't run. No where in the middle of those to extremes did I find the spot I was looking for.

The same symptoms were present. At idle, go to full throttle, it will blip to 2K RPM then after a momentary pause it will accelerate normally. This only happens at low rpm (1K - 3K).

I have cleaned the carbs thoroughly (pilot jets included). The carb is stock (no jet kit) and the air filters are stock with FOG's mod.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Don't worry about that down low response, you never use that range. Get er done from 5,6K on up.

FOG

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FOG said:
Don't worry about that down low response, you never use that range. Get er done from 5,6K on up.

FOG
Quite the opposite I find.

Real Life Example, I was making a right turn, and a van on the opposite side of the street made a left directly in front of me.
When I gunned it to get away, it sputtered. I barely squeaked by, but mere misses like that create the desire for that response.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
GMR_RUNNER said:
FOG said:

FOG

Real Life Example, I was making a right turn, and a van on the opposite side of the street made a left directly in front of me.
When I gunned it to get away, it sputtered. I barely squeaked by, but mere misses like that create the desire for that response.
I submit that you were a couple of gears too high.

FOG

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FOG said:
GMR_RUNNER said:
FOG said:

FOG

I submit that you were a couple of gears too high.

FOG
1st Gear, idling through the turn slowly.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
As the description gets clearer it's also clear that you're asking for something that won't be happening. It has nothing at those RPM's and the fuel delivery circuits cannot respond to that extreme a change in throttle position from that extremely low RPM. The bike is also nearly unrideable when you do that. If you really need to go as described you need to pull the clutch and feather it a bit to allow the RPM to be up where the engine's ready to work.

The problem I just heard described, idle, clutch out, then wide open throttle, will fall flat on just about any bike. About the only thing that might pretend to live with that is a John Deere tractor and its close cousin, the Harley Davidson. ;) They have the low RPM torque and limited RPM band that is designed to run like that.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks dad, that answered it for me. I thought all bikes had that because my dad's bike has the exact response, but it is a Buell, who's engine is manufactured my Harley, so that explains it. I'll start practicing some with the clutch until I get it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I might as well put the question here,seems to be the best place for it. The question is, These are the mods I have, k&n filter, fog box mod, sarachu slipons. I have adjusted the pilot screws out to 3 3/4 turns( this seems to be where the bike responds the best) the only problem is that there is a little dead spot around 5k. Is this normal or is there some way to get ride of it. Its not really a dead spot,its more like a pause. Any help is welcome Thanks guys

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Try re-oiling the K&N filter. What your playing with now is the relative vacume balance between the airbox and the intake mainifold. This is not a good thing as it will change all the time with the weather.

Try re settin the screws to 2.5 turns out. i'm not sure where the screws no longer provide any restiiction to the pilot jets.

It's possiable that you have a partially blocked pilot jet.

Was the engine tune still responding to changes to the pilot screw as you approache 3.5 turns?

FOG

·
Registered
97 Posts
FOG said:
Try re-oiling the K&N filter. What your playing with now is the relative vacume balance between the airbox and the intake mainifold. This is not a good thing as it will change all the time with the weather.

Try re settin the screws to 2.5 turns out. i'm not sure where the screws no longer provide any restiiction to the pilot jets.

It's possiable that you have a partially blocked pilot jet.

Was the engine tune still responding to changes to the pilot screw as you approache 3.5 turns?

FOG
Yeh the motor was still responding to the changes all the way up to 4 and a half turns. I ran the screws out till the motor would pick right up when you cracked on the throttle,then I ran them out a little bit further to see how the bike would react( I could tell it was getting a bit rich). I then ran the screws back it to where it was most responsive. It was about 60 degrees out today when I was messing with it. I did this in my driveway and couldn't take the bike on the road because I haven't got my parts painted yet. Do you think this might go away( not hardly notice it) when the motor is under a load? I'll have to reoil the filter and see what that does, do you think I need to cover your airbox mod hole up and see what that does. Thanks for the info and keep it coming. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts