Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 384 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning, thinking WAY ahead...its that time again (sorry K-woppa) to prepare for OFF SEASON long term mods, intense service work, etc.

the VFR gets a new thermostat and seals (deep within the V), possible pro injector refurb & seals, new fuel pressure regulator while in there. Tank, airbox and throttle body removal to get to thermostat. Ugh.

the Ducati gets a preemptive carb refresh and rear wheel damper rubber bushings.

These tasks to actually commence in December, have already begun gathering some required parts.

·
Registered
113 Posts
SV1000S - check valve clearance, change fork oil
EX500 - change fluids
QLink XF200 - upgrade to Suzuki cam and larger carb; maybe get from 14 to 18+ hp
MiniTrail with Piranha 140 engine - try 12.9 grade sprocket bolts and new hub
Yamaha 100 enduro - final assembly after complete refurb
Honda SL100 - begin ground up refurb
Chinese trailbike with 107cc engine - finished in spring but never tried
Misc. parts scooters - sell
Honda VN750 - hold my breath and finish the monster; not my style

·
Super Moderator
6,023 Posts
Routine valve adjustment and tune-up/maintenance. Pulling the clutch cover to see how my custom fix is working, as I had a problem with the pressure plate rubbing on the clutch cover.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Time, time, time...

I don't know how much longer I will tread this earth, so I've got to get going. My free tow yard '89 is waiting for all of the years' worth of new parts I have collected from eBay. CCT done. Carbs are done to a "high standard", Muzzy header in place. New Gen1/2 flywheel ready. CoP standing by. CCT done. I need to finish a high-mount TwoBros cannister, do up some spare forks. LED taillight and trimmed sides/tail piece. The biggie is a custom EBC 320 front disc with a radial monoblock caliper. But, ZX-6R Nissin monoblock, or Brembo/$uzuki? Either requires a custom mount, so I am searching for some 7075-T6 and a cheap machinist.

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
needless to say, as winter approaches and our planned repairs commence....PICS will be REQUIRED within this thread!

·
Registered
37 Posts
VTR1000F repaint tank and rear faring Valve Check Change oil and seals on forks
EX-500A plastic weld faring and repaint to get rid of orange peel look on the tank. Replace rotor and pads and switch out front break line with a braided line pair elimination kit.
CM250C Rebuild carbs pull dents out of the tank and repaint it so that its ready to sell in the spring.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
at the risk of jinxing myself................ I don't need to do anything

·
Super Moderator
6,023 Posts
needless to say, as winter approaches and our planned repairs commence....PICS will be REQUIRED within this thread!
:surprise: Blurry pics-a-coming

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let 'em rip, last winters' rambling thread continued right through spring...had good spirited participation, always welcome, of course.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
It's riding season year round in California, BUT, now that I have a car as an option, when I see a particularly rainy week coming up, I'll be digging into the bike.
Head and jugs need to be lapped due to an overheat about a year ago. While I'm in there, I'll be replacing the piston rings and valve seals. Valves will get cleaned up too and lapped if necessary.
The old XR600 is also getting the same treatment, though that's due to bad piston rings.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Just noticed this is for northeast US. Didn't realize it at first as I just saw it pop up on the right in Recent Discussions.

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Saab, you are welcome to participate, NE or not.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Good stuff :D

Ya'll get to see what an almost 70,000 mile EX engine top end looks like. I'm really curious to see what condition the valves are in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I want to strip my ninja and paint the rims n frame same color. Is there a certain paint I need to use in the rims? And can the same paint b used on the frame?

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bought some GPR high rise slip-ons (titanium/carbon) for my Ducati....but beyond a "simple" project, in doing these I "lost" my rear turn signal location......

exploring an integrated LED tail/stop/turn signal light from a CBR600 ....though the Duc wiring requires use of diodes (not resisters) in certain spots. A trip to Radio Shack tomorrow, enabling some testing as I'm fumbling my way through this conversion.

I initially intended to do this over the winter...but weather has been horrendous...why the hell not.

Will also 'lose" the stock rear fender, eventually...it'll be an ongoing project. Its VFR season now anyways.

The slip-ons sound awesome and tasty....but not obnoxious loud.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LED conversion complete, both integrated tail light and fronts. Exhaust mounted and secured. My first ride in this new configuration Sunday....and this winter project is checked off the list very early.

Bling lighting my new specialty......NOT :D

·
Banned
11,553 Posts
I want to strip my ninja and paint the rims n frame same color. Is there a certain paint I need to use in the rims? And can the same paint b used on the frame?
The frames on earlier Gen 2 were Ebony black.
Earlier Gen 2 had Pearl Gentry Grey wheels... Then they went to Matte Black... Then later Gen 2 had Matte Black for the frame and Ebony for the wheels.

Use a good epoxy paint on the frame and you can use the same on the rims... Obviously you will need to clean the rims extremely well.
Warm water and lots of degreaser...
(Purple Power, Greased Lightening, Simple Green, etc)
Make sure to scuff the rims extremely well... Use a scotchbrite red pad (burgundy color). The harder a spot is to reach, the more you need to make sure you get it scuffed. Tack rag it... Good prep is the key to looking good and lasting.
Then paint with color of your choice and clear.

As far as my bike.... The only thing I can think of that needs doing would be replacing the fork seals... Not exactly leaking but starting to get some light seepage. Might as well change them before they get to be full blown leaks.
Will be rebuilding the forks on Pop's Yamaha Virago too as they are flat out pissing oil everywhere...

O_E_M

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
The time is nigh. I've been getting a strange creaking noise coming out of stops from the relative area of the transmission for the last few weeks, and now the output shaft is making more noise than usual. I'm going to listen to my gut on this one and begin prepping my good spare motor for the swap this evening. This way I can still ride while I take care of the increasing number of issue on the current engine. You will be rewarded with photos.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
No offense taken, ducatiman. I've just pretty much ignored this thread until now :grin2:
A question: Last year you said ok to the inclusion of a jeep bed project, which I'm actually just about to get to. I've got another little project though; a mild overhaul on a killer vintage American saxophone. I could document both or either and post the progress here. What sayest thou?

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
spoken like a true climate change denier :wink2:

of course you may document projects...bike or not

which brings to mind...whats going on with Connie?

1 - 20 of 384 Posts