Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know....a touchy, depressing subject...but can't put off the inevitable. Thinking well in advance, even anticipating *next* year...in terms of maximizing off-season maintenance and "to-do's".....meanwhile exploiting the existing riding season to its fullest. Basic time management...

over winter the "new to me" SS800 comes indoors for a full valve clearance check and installation of MBP valve collets. Procedures go hand in hand anyways...collets and new valve cover gaskets already in my possession. Also a mosfet conversion along with a LED voltmeter (if not already done prior to winter)

My recent, most intense work on the VFR (thermostat, fuel pressure regulator and injector seals) relegates it as DONE for the foreseeable future. I'm glad that sumabitch is over. ;)

As is the 900SS....absolutely nothing needed...behaving so well I hesitate to touch a thing. :cool:

How 'bout you? ::)

·
Registered
833 Posts
I'm planning to customize my little Chinese bike.
  • New painting
  • New upholstery work
  • New tires
  • Maybe I'll change the fork bars for a few longer ones.
  • I will definitely change the handlebar for a more comfortable one.
My idea is to go from this:

To something more like this:

·
Super Moderator
6,023 Posts
I have nothing in the plans except my normal routine maintenance. I will do you all a favor and not just do a complete repeat of what I already posted last winter. But if something new should arise, I'll be back :grin2:.

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One down....the SS800 has received LED voltmeter installation

Onward to prepping spare room for winter storage of both Ducatis.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Onward to prepping spare room for winter storage of both Ducatis.
Sweet.....think you could send some sort of convincing argument so I can win my wife over for the same sort of thing? LoL.

I managed to keep the 996 in my living room for part of last winter....but now it is filled with high dollar antifreeze so I can't use that excuse this year...I know, that's another "winter project" all in itself! LoL.......sean

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Prepping a Sony Vaio laptop for exclusive use in ECU tuning/diagnosis on my 800. Wiped it clean, reinstalling Windows 10 and updates. Tonight disassemble...will remove fan, CPU, clean and apply new thermal paste.

No mistakes allowed, this laptop needs to perform flawlessly. ;)

Got my interface cables all set.....my first task to read the existing factory settings, saving them to a BIN file for future backup and use, if needed. My first time in...I'm purposely using a *read only* program, taking no chance on making any changes.

Once safely connected, I'll surf around the software...hopefully I'll gain some familiarity with how this interface works, this computer/ECU stuff all new to me. Or putting it bluntly....I'll fumble around a bit within the safety net of "read only". ;D

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some breakthrough using the software in my first "session"......accomplished my first priority... I was able to *safely* save my standard, stock, factory ECU settings to a .bin file. I've got it saved on 2 different computers, for future use...just in case. This factory baseline is invaluable to have in case of ECU replacement or return to OEM settings is ever required for any reason.

As time was limited..I was able to view and experiment with TPS (throttle position sensor)...without changing the factory stock setting ...closed throttle...the value of 2.6. Note key ON but engine not running at this time....open the throttle...the numeric value increased (duh)....then releasing throttle...back to 2.6.....indicating the software was (apparently) working accurately!

When time dictates... I'll be back playin' around (looking only, not changing) to acclimate further, slowly dumbing my way into some working experience.

After disconnecting everything...the bike started and ran as normal....woot woot!

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As the EX forum is all but dormant, I'll post without hesitation.

Remember my '16-'17 "winter project" the Bug? Jan 9 was his 1 year anniversary of being brought in. He's fully integrated, a trusted member of the household, put on some weight, is happy, safe and healthy. A full success!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I want a cat so bad

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, Mangs, how r ya!

Save a life!

Adoption is the right thing to do...seek out a nearby Animal Rescue Organization or your County or Town Shelter.
They will likely be vetted, spayed/neutered already. I'm sure you'll have your choice of young, old, male, female, various colors, dispositions...be aware the organization will be looking for a fee or donation of some sort...understandable.

There are so so many discarded cats out there...thus sadly, they are routinely euthanized.

Interested to hear if you follow through!

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
guard duty....an additional benefit to cat ownership (i know, i know...repeat post)

fellin' lucky, eh punk? c'mon....make my day : )

Attachments

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I can't get a cat yet. I'm in my last semester of class, and will be traveling between KY and MO in about 6 months. No permanent home, so too stressful :(

I'm doing well. Was going to catch up but nothing else is going on.

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good to hear from you. Last semester...graduation thereafter?

Understood, the animal does require a stable homestead. Your time will come.

Hows the moto-bicycle projects coming?

A slow winter in regards to bike stuff....nothing needed. Got my hands full with other, though.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Maybe sometime I'll finish some of the projects I've had on my list in varying states of progress for way too long...
  • Quick-disconnect for the LED voltmeter wiring
  • Wiring up the MOSFET R/R
  • Modifying the thermostat housing (a la ThermoBob)
  • Getting my new headlight modded up and installed
I haven't had as much time over the last year with my new job, but life is a little more stable now than it was the past few years, so maybe I'll get some free time to tinker a little. I've also got a few projects related to the Volt that I'm sort of working on. Working on getting a Raspberry Pi-based computer for reading OBD2 data (and maybe OBD1/ALDL for the Syclone too), looking into trying to get the radio updated to support CarPlay/Android Auto, and seeing about getting a heated steering wheel transplanted from another GM vehicle. Gloves suck with touch interfaces, and direct conductive heat is more efficient anyway.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Last semester of school, then I bounce around shadowing different pharmacists for 5 week intervals until it's time to take board exams.

The motorized bike is well. That kx60 motor has been wayyyyy more reliable than any china engine, and I think have top 10 most powerful in the country. Lol.
Pretty fun to zip around the city on. Has no power til 5k then it comes on the pipe. Interesting experience. Power to weight ratio is that of a Ninja 250.

Speedy and FJ are well. Knock on wood I don't have anything to fix on either of them. FJ could use a battery. Contemplating an exhaust on the FJ, drops 20 lbs and picks up 10 hp after the correct re-flash.

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wish you grats on completing your schooling and all the best success going forward in your career! I know you've worked hard to attain....well deserving..you've EARNED IT!

Once you get settled in, maybe that Duc Panigale will become affordable!

The mo-bike looks and sounds like great fun, success on that one too...your hard work pays off yet again.

And yet another PM comin' your way.

·
Registered
113 Posts
An '82 KZ 750 LTD "followed me home" earlier this month (okay, it was on my trailer). Have yet to see if it runs. Concept is to build a 4-banger café or bobber. First assignment is to have a key cut as I can't even lift the seat nor open the tank.
How did I let my 19 year old talk me into this.........

·
Super Moderator
6,023 Posts
Well, shame on me. I've been neglecting the rear end.
I can add some rear suspension inspection to the list.

·
Super Moderator
6,023 Posts
Got the swing arm, and chain rubber cleaned.

I could use a little information at this point. When I move those dog bones back and forth, is the bolt supposed to move with it? The bolt that holds the dog bones on the rocker arm, and the bolt that holds the shock on the rocker arm also rotate with the movement.
But the bolt in the picture, where the rocker arm connects to the frame, stays stationary when I move the rocker arm. Just wanted to be sure that this is all correct. Everything seams fine when I move the pivot points, everything snug yet moves freely.

1 - 20 of 190 Posts