Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hate to do it, but must think forward, contemplate the yearly, depressing off-season service intentions.

Members feel free to jump right in, Northeast or not.

Right now thinking an over winter electrical service focusing on spark plugs, caps, wires on my VFR, requiring a lotta stuff to disassemble/remove to gain access. Intended, but never did it this year. Add an oil/filter change, drive chain service and a general clean.

·
Registered
910 Posts
nope nothing for the first year in long time both bikes running great apart from the usual winter service.
I intend keeping one on the road this winter for the those crisp dry sunny days we get. lost too much riding this year due to the China flu. I was offered a bike ( Yamaha XS650) in need of a complete refit a couple of weeks ago but declined it I have spent too many cold winter days spannering these last few years time for a rest I think.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm embarrassed to admit that my VFR is still in pieces from last year. I took it to bits (and that's a lot of bits on a VFR) for a thorough cleaning and valve inspection, and never put it back together. I'm actually nervous that I can't remember where everything goes now. :rolleyes: Not a problem on most of the bikes I've owned, but the VFR has a lots of tubes and wires I need to put back in the proper places.

Having the Goldwing and the Ducati to ride provided me a reason to be lazy. I do miss my VFR....

On top of the mechanicals I also was doing some lower fairing repairs and a seat cover replacement. I NEED to get it done this year for certain or I'm toast, and there may be a nice VFR parted out on Ebay.

·
Registered
14 Posts
NE here, about 9 hours out. Get some $ to buy that pretty custom carb set #81 and try to duplicate the work on my original with Pilot screw caps still intact. When I cleaned my Gen1 a few years ago I found the three jets on top in the picture from top to bottom, but the 4th on the bottom with the spring and plastic/rubber grommet, I either missed or it's not on a gen1.
Really sweet looking rebuild !!!
edit I didn't split the carb on my first go at EX carb clean. Now I have a dirty second Yami R6 4 banger to sus out. Luckily the Thundercat (05 YZF-600R ) only (badly) needed an air filter and come carb cleaner for it's original 10k miles maintenance.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Hmmm....this winter? It's a little way off yet.....and we still have a couple of months of fire season to go.

We go from fire season and temps upwards of 100 degrees in October to fall temps in the first couple weeks of November. We don't hit what we describe as winter in NorCal until the first week of January. Maybe the second week.

About that time the rains come. If we get a mild winter, it doesn't get cold at all and the rain is just a drizzle. That means summer is going to sizzle and the drought will continue.

If we get a real NorCal winter....it'll bucket down like monsoon season in Asia. We haven't had one of those since 1998 or so. Most have been somewhere in between but leaning more towards the first description.

Thus, my winter projects this year are yet to be determined. Been super busy this year with work, and exhausted when I get home. I've got several projects that I've simply got to call the contractors to get out here and do the work.

Once that's done then my real winter projects will become clear. #1 priority for me right now is to get my 996 back on the road. Then get back on my project 900SS that has been languishing on the back burner for some months now.

I've still got to get my shed built as that is kind of the catalyst for a number of other projects that hinge on the shed. No time at the present to get that project off the ground....but hey, all the money that is supposed to go to that is sure making my bank account look fat!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm embarrassed to admit that my VFR is still in pieces from last year. I took it to bits (and that's a lot of bits on a VFR) for a thorough cleaning and valve inspection, and never put it back together. I'm actually nervous that I can't remember where everything goes now. :rolleyes: Not a problem on most of the bikes I've owned, but the VFR has a lots of tubes and wires I need to put back in the proper places.

Having the Goldwing and the Ducati to ride provided me a reason to be lazy. I do miss my VFR....

On top of the mechanicals I also was doing some lower fairing repairs and a seat cover replacement. I NEED to get it done this year for certain or I'm toast, and there may be a nice VFR parted out on Ebay.
How could you face yourself in the morning parting oot that bike>? I'll answer for you, "You could'nt" LOL

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I guess part of one winter project was accomplished yesterday. Our washing machine has been on the fritz for around 3 or 4 months. It would work when it wanted to, which wasn't always when you needed to get laundry done.

My wife finally got tired of it and bought a new washing machine online from Best Buy and had it delivered. I had to clear out the garage yesterday to allow room for washer removal and install of the new one.

Thus, my garage got a relatively good clean out yesterday with my wife's help no less. My kid even pitched in for a bit. Good thing too because most of the mess was due to how he puts my stuff back when he's done with it.

The washer install went awry almost immediately. We decided to reuse the pedestal from old Maytag washer. As the new LG mounts differently and finding the mounting kit for the LG pedestal locally was impossible, it required a little bit of ingenuity to figure out a solution.

I did, and got the necessary materials together to make it happen. Still, it took the rest of the afternoon to get the thing mounted on the pedestal and installed. THEN I had to put everything back in the garage. Somehow we had to fit lunch and then making dinner into all of that.

Also, it was well over 100 out yesterday. I went to start my Aprilia to ride it back into the garage, and the coolant temp read 100 degrees F before I even thumbed the starter button.

I finally finished with the last of my chores and hit the showers around 9:00 last night. Needless to say, any thoughts of a bicycle ride today were pretty much dumped when I woke up this morning almost as tired as when I went to bed.

At least the new washing machine works and my garage is sorta clean now.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
I've been away from the site for a while due to school resuming full swing. This winter, with all my free time :rolleyes: I'm hoping to upgrade my lights on the EX to clear lenses, LEDs (starting to have them burn out on me) and I want to link the rear directional signals to the brake.

On top of that, valve adjustments, oil change, general tune up ETC. Also hoping to try and repair the front fairing of my parts bike for potential reuse.

Further Explanation
I want to transition the rear signals to a 3 wire setup where the "running lights" are hooked to the break light, increasing break light size. With the flasher being the overriding light, it will take precedence over the brake light. By using a two tone LED, brake lights will be red, directional indicators would be amber.

·
Super Moderator
14,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
for integrated, sequential type LED tail/turn lights check out USA vendor motodynamic dot com. Among the product details, they provide dimensions. Armed with that info, I was able to choose a Honda tail light version to my older Ducati replacing the hopelessly outdated single 1157 bulb tail light. Fit first attempt... I'm sure you could do similar for your 500. I'll add theirs is a quality product as well.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I've done the LED upgrade to my 900SS as well. I just ordered an 1157 LED replacement bulb from eBay. Also upgraded all the "idiot" lights in the dash save for the turn signal and fuel level bulbs.

I am also replacing the head light bulb with an H4 equivalent LED head light bulb. I have the bulb, just have not installed it in the head light shell yet due to the retainer wire clip. It was missing when I got the bike.

It was 115 out today. Didn't venture out after around 11:30 when it was 98. As such, nothing got done.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
@ducatiman Thanks, that's good info to have. I was going to go with www. autolumination dot com/switchback.html in the Red/Amber. I'll check yours out.

@Apriliarider I definitely miss the year round riding, but I'm not sure I'd be able to work in the garage at even 98.

·
Super Moderator
6,115 Posts
Everyone should remember to order their parts earlier than they normally would this year.

Reactions: ducatiman

·
Registered
385 Posts
Tackled (and completed) a pre-winter project this morning. Not an an EX, or any motorcycle for that matter. Replaced the front passenger-side sway-bar link on my wife's Buick Enclave. Been clicking for months, finally got annoyed of hearing it get worse.

The things are usually a bear to replace, so I was building myself up for the battle. Last one I did on my sons's Toyota RAV-4 needed to taken off with an angle grinder, because it was totally rusted on on there was no place on the back of the threads to secure the threaded rod from turning. 3 hours I did battle with that SOB.

Anyway, the job on the Buick went as smooth as butter, an hour start to finish. OEM unit had a place to put pliers on the threaded rod. Moog replacement had a full nut to secure the rod from turning. Car also runs as smooth as butter now. :)

·
Super Moderator
14,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have an EGO electric lawnmower, made in Far East Home Depot crap. After being on market a couple of years now...its widely known they last around a year before assorted electrical issues can develop. About 16-18 months old now, sure enough, mine intermittently, repeatedly shut off while mowing late last week. Upon diagnosing...the press ON switch contacts were found to be internally intermittent, basically shutting itself off, requiring restart procedure. Tried to reorder a new switch...on backorder weeks away, I cancelled. Instead I removed the $36 problematic switch (with unreliable, sprung, internal points-like contacts... aka junk) and solder wired a simple ON-OFF $7 toggle switch in yesterday....test mowed with no stalling out ....fixed within 48 hours of initial failure. Still in "mowing season"...without repair I'd have been forced into buying a new mower.

Much like your ^ repair...sure feels good when stuff goes right occasionally! Back to bitchy CB350F carb refurb Monday AM.

·
Premium Member
3,718 Posts
We've got an iRobot vacuum cleaner. About a year old, beater bar motor is dead. Same thing, hard to source a replacement and even if you can it's expensive. Swapping a different motor in may not be worth it. It needs to fit into a certain space, integral with a housing/ belt setup. I'll probably give it a shot though. This stuff is manufactured and sold but not supported in any way.

·
Super Moderator
14,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This stuff is manufactured and sold but not supported in any way.
Majority of folks replace rather than repair. I'd wager we "fixers" are a disappearing bunch.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts